Advance through all active games

Dear OGS’s developers.
Thank all of you for your great work! It gives me a chance to play Go with many people all around the world.
I have a question. Right now, OGS has “Auto-advance to next game after making a move” function and it is only for the games which refer to our turn. What about the others?
I hope you can add a button for advancing to every games which are going on. It is really helpful for recheck all the situations, time left, messenges chat and so on.
Please consider it.
Thank you so much!
Sincerely!

Shirozora

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve often thought that the “games outstanding” indicator should still show even if it is “zero”, then if it is zero and you click on it, it should take you to the next not-outstanding game.

This sounds a little odd, but it is a natural move to click there to get to the next game of interest …

5 Likes

Would that be hard to recode?

Great ideas! Let’s wait for OGS’s developers to answer it :slight_smile:

I haven’t looked, but I think it’s possibly “non trivial” for someone who doesn’t already know how to find out how to ask the server “what’s the next game”.

2 Likes

While auto-advancing through games, it feels somewhat dangerous to have “submit move” and “pass” be the exact same button that only changes text depending on situation.

3 Likes

The same feeling. I got 2 times missclick from submit move to pass… luckily my opponents were good enough to let me undo…

I would like this as well, it comes down to an interface problem… where to stick buttons and whatnot, but maybe just leaving the 0 move indicator visible is the way to go (if there are any games being played)

It shouldn’t be too bad to add, https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/blob/devel/src/components/Notifications/Notifications.tsx#L305 is where we process ongoing games - basically the gist would be to add something like active_boards[game.id] = game;, delete it when game.phase === "finished", and to iterate to the next board, in https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/blob/devel/src/components/Notifications/Notifications.tsx#L238 add a case where if the boards_to_move_on map is empty, use active_boards to build up the board_ids array in that function, and that should pretty much do it.

4 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Did anybody else get a mental erection reading this? #Programming_Poetry

1 Like

Started working on this today, will keep y’all updated on progress

(so far, backwards! :rofl: but they say that’s the first step :wink:)

Edit:
Day 2: Still backwards, but less so than yesterday! :slight_smile: #justkeephacking

7 Likes

only task remaining is to fix the notification so that move counter displays 0 if pool is ‘active’ not ‘your move’

currently the counter will display the size of the pool regardless of its source, which is not what I hear the community wanting through this thread, as you might see (3) and not know if it’s 3 total games or 3 games which it is your turn to move in…

2 Likes

Perhaps two different colors to indicate which is which? Or a 3/2 type of display, to represent both. Maybe make both clickable so the person can advance the way that they want. Or a cute little Go graphic, one white stone and one black stone with the different number at the center of each stone. Just spitballin’ here :stuck_out_tongue:.

3 Likes

There was never really room up there for 2 graphics, that’s why this hasn’t been implemented yet :stuck_out_tongue: but I’ll investigate the idea of possibly changing colour :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You could combine them. Perhaps something like this image, except Black and White for the colors and numbers in both sections.

2 Likes

Not all users have eyesight as good as you or me, or play on a large screen. If I tried to fit 2 numbers into that circle, there will definitely be complaints.

4 Likes

Understandable. I wish I had a better suggestion for you. I think it is awesome that you’ve been working on this. Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication :blush:

2 Likes

I think if I can find the section that controls the rendering colour, flipping from white on black to black on white will look good and be somewhat intuitive. I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I have no games waiting for me to play, I don’t think I need to be told how many games I actually have.

I’d be happy to click on a (0) that says “None of your active games are waiting for you to play but you can click on me to cycle through them”

I would prefer for there to be nothing there if I have no active games (as now).

6 Likes

Excellent :smiley: this is my intended design :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Think this is (finally, with a little much appreciated guidance from @flovo) good to go, just waiting for anoek to review :slight_smile:

Thanks for your patience, everyone :slight_smile:

7 Likes