AI based score estimation and auto-scoring is now live

As a referee would you point out a weakness that neither player noticed?

5 Likes

Solution: always have a mod present during a game. We might have to clone them and they will never sleep or get a bathroom break ever again but if itā€™s what it takes to combat cheaters, it just needs to be done. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

it depends on the rules of the tournament, if you accept a result per se after agreement of both players or not

2 Likes

A random Dan shouldnā€™t interfere in a running game. If he has anything to say he should go see a referee at least.

4 Likes

to be fair even in real life referees donā€™t have to constantly watch all games, but their presence at the tournament site is important in case of a rules question or a dispute. I think itā€™s quite similar to moderators on the internet: You call when you need them, and they provide a great service to the community.

Seems like you donā€™t appreciate people who support anti-cheat policies.

Thatā€™s a reach if Iā€™ve ever seen one.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the impression I got. If thatā€™s not the case, what else did you want to convey with those words? I am bad at understanding sarcasm (no joke).

Iā€™m pretty sure my responses on the matter as a whole donā€™t paint that picture.

I understand this can happen. It was indeed sarcasm, as in ā€œletā€™s keep this important issue at some realistic level of importanceā€.

1 Like

I didnā€™t mean to say that beginners should not play IRL tournaments. I actually helped organise youth tournaments where many beginners participated.

But the organisation may need to account for that by providing assistent referees to observe the games and assist in scoring. Also you need to determine ahead of time how those assistents should handle unsettled positions when both players pass.

3 Likes

look at that white group at top right
Is there really way for white to live?

(maybe tsumego) time!
white to moveā€¦

5 Likes

The picture even gives away the solution, doesnā€™t it? Which of the empty intersections nearby has the biggest white mark?

6 Likes

@anoek It doesnt seem to work with board sizes larger than 19x19. It only says ā€œ[unset] by NaNā€ when trying to estimate the score on anything where board is <19 spaces on either direction

1 Like

so, w+18 or b+29 ? :grinning:

3 Likes

Looks like the SE is reading deeper. When I run a higher level AI review over the game, the White advantage disappears :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol, score estimator is as strong as level 3 review)
its possible to kill white group at the top after allā€¦

1 Like

It definitely looks like a cuttable shape eg some combo of K18 and M18. (assuming I got the coordinates correct)

1 Like

With all the controversy lately about the scoring phase, I thought Iā€™d mention a comment I found on Senseiā€™s Library, by the player ajisubarashii in 2016.

OK scoring time. What the heck does ā€œStrict Scoringā€ on OGS mean?? No ideaā€¦ Ah what the heck. Just mark the dead stones and click accept.

P.S. I still donā€™t know what Strict Scoring on OGS means. Could someone please enlighten me?

Iā€™m equally in the dark. What was Strict Scoring? Is it relevant to the current discussion?

There are a couple of (non-descriptive) mentions of the term on the forums, from 2017 (both by @polar-bear).

If I recall correctly thatā€™s enabling the Japanese rule that says that you canā€™t score territory in seki. That rule is all well and good but the ramification of it in practice online is that when people leave dame unplayed it can mess up scoring, so if you use ā€œstrict scoringā€, ie score exactly according to the rules, you have to make sure dame is all filled or removed for scoring to work correctly. In general it goes against the expectation of players as itā€™s different than every other rule set, and creates confusing situations, but for the sake of correctness itā€™s still supported if desired.

Thatā€™s some old code, I could be misremembering or forgetting some details.

3 Likes

Relevant, in particular the auto score for human vs bot games seems to not work as hoped.