Audio update poll

I would turn on sound if we could have Gilbert Gottfried’s voice added. I wish the polls had a way to vote for this specific option.

Edit to clarify: not just the countdown, but I also want Gilbert providing the sounds for stones being placed on the board.

3 Likes

I really like the byo-yomi, challenge received, undo, and pause announcements. They sound fantastic in my opinion.

The byo-yomi and undo announcements are particularly helpful. I couldn’t tell you the number of times I’ve been in byo-yomi in the past without realizing.

2 Likes

i’m a sounddesigner:
New stones sound better because the hiss of the old ones is missing, the spectrum is lower, it’s more dull, which is better than the old sound - but i agree, the reverberant part is cheesy and makes the sound complex, with “too much talking”.
The “killing stones” sounds again is harsh with high pitched spectral amounts and very cheesy and needless, I’d say - as it is not a “feedback sound” and we all know when stones are killed.
The end of the game sound is way too loud, lots of reverb and not needed at all.

All in all I would prefer much more minimalistic and functional sounds, like a soft, dull click for stones, that doesn’t try to replicate any realistic sound but are usefull as feedback, interaction, someone joined the game, warning ect. but not annoying at all.
Very short and soft.
Ready to be heared a thousand times.
We hear the sounds each time we play, so no cheese please.

Best would be if we could mute sounds individually.
For me the clock is annoying, an visual blinking wouldn’t disrupt my concentration.
As I muted the sounds always when, I am happy you are working on it and ask us.

7 Likes

I misunderstood, I’ll add 5 and 3 second options

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @thegoldenfool, I’ll be taking it to heart for v2 of the sounds

5 Likes

Oh awesome! Didn’t see these. Thanks

2 Likes

Was there a voice before? Maybe I turned it off without remembering.
I don’t like the new stone sound, it lack impact iykwim >.<

1 Like

I like the stone sounds, especially that they are so soft. The old ones were really hard, almost hurtful to the ear. I think IGS has the most pleasant stone sounds, however they went a little too far because they don’t really sound like stones on a board any more.

I tried observing a live game to test the voice but I did not hear any voice. Is there an option to turn it on for observed games?

1 Like

The game start, end, and capture sounds are my favorite parts. I think you did a great job. I’ve also got no issue with the reverb on the stones.

This was going to be my only request.

3 Likes

The sounds are great overall, but I find the hard left/right panning of the stone placement sound to be a little much, especially in headphones. Is there any way we could have an option to reduce or disable this panning?

2 Likes

…on every single different machine you use to play on. I guess I understand why it’s like that, but as a “silence at all costs from my game” person who also plays on 4 different machines, I just lucked out into the most-inconvenienced demographic :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If you’re that devoted to silence, don’t you have the whole machine muted already, rendering the internal OGS settings redundant?

2 Likes

Great sounds, maybe the best ever.

Haven’t heard all of them yet, all my games end in resignation before we even get to byo-yomi.

4 Likes

I almost always have tabs with video/ audio open in addition to OGS and it’s a bit jarring to hear a random “clack”, especially since I can’t know when it will occur, since I don’t know when my opponent will play. So, I too mute absolutely everything everywhere if I can, else than what I intend to listen to.

2 Likes

FWIW having cross device (but still optionally per-device) settings is on the somewhat near todo list

3 Likes

“Best would be if we could mute sounds individually.”

+1

And too much sounds for me (Some Sounds I don’t know where they come from…)

2 Likes

Because it’s not silence I care about, I just don’t want the game making noise because other things already are and I’m listening to that.

On mobile platforms in particular, where things often contend for access to audio channels eh.

2 Likes

Tangential: If you use Chrome, you might want to check out MuteTab

It has Blacklist, Whitelist, and many more features.

5 Likes

now turning the volume a bit down, everything is fine

3 Likes

You can tune it down by changing the “Master volume” on the settings page https://online-go.com/user/settings

There is also an additional volume slider on the right hand side of the game page.

1 Like