Audio updates v2

Ah hah got it, thanks!

3 Likes

I really like the circle with the “+” in it.
It reminds me that I still have to press the confrmation button.

5 Likes

As I’ve said before, I love the new audio features. Has anyone got this bug where the audio clip plays twice in succession? I’ve placed a stone down and it played the sound effect twice, I’ve started a game and it said, “game started” twice, etc.

3 Likes

I am all for applying some feng-shui theory to the Settings page, as long as we aren’t treading into the space of: “There are too many options, it offends me, reduce our ability to customize our experience please”. That is never a good idea. It could be easily solved with putting the whole sound thing in a panel that slides open upon a button press. No need to reinvent the wheel :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Disabling is good. But position audio is the height of opulence in the audio arena. Please do not nerf or nuke the feature :worried:

I was thinking the same thing. Authenticity is one route for sounds, but simple alternatives that are pleasant to hear is another welcome route. Even offering alternative versions of the sound sources you have now. Duller, more distant, sharper, putting something to diffuse sound between the microphone and the source, etc… You never know what people will find pleasurable to the ear.

I have no idea what it takes to make a proper sound sample, but it would be cool if other users could upload some of their own ideas. I like the idea, though I wouldn’t be taking part myself. Still, it is a cool idea. Frankly, if possible, would it be possible for you to add the ability for users to utilize custom sounds of their own choosing?

One thing I love about videogames that take voice options seriously, is the ability to have the same thing said in different accents. As previously pointed out the voice sample for Byo-yomi sounds like it is spoken with a Japanese accent. For Go, this seems like a necessity. I wouldn’t mind hearing numerous accents though. To be honest, I get all nerdy and giggly about the idea :woozy_face:

Feedback On Sounds
Stones: There is an audio quality about the original stone presses that I find hard to describe. I don’t know if you would call it echo or reverb, but there is more body to them. They seem fuller and more present somehow. The newer sounds lack this boldness of character. Of the newer sounds, I find Melamine to be the most enjoyable.

Floor Garden (room) sounds like I am placing a stone on a metal table, like one of the metal patio tables you find in a backyard. I really don’t like this sound.

Floor Goban is good. I don’t prefer it over other options, but I have no complaints.

Table reminds me of a metronome. Just like Floor Goban, nothing wrong with the sample, just not for me.

Of all the different things you could provide sound samples and options for, stone sounds is the one area where having more options is going to please just about everybody. If you can add more to this category of samples, I would be tickled pink :hugs:

Effects: I struggle to notice a difference between “Effects 2012” and “Effects”.

Tie: I would really like there to be the option of “Draw” and “Jigo” added. Tie is great as well. But I am more accustomed to “Draw” and I personally love the word “Jigo”.

Tutorial - Pass, Fail, Ping: These sounds make me upset. I do not like them. They grate on my ears and I want to disable them immediately. They remind of sounds coming out of Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. Poor system sounds that make eardrums cringe. I’d love to see these replaced outright. I do not feel they have enough value to be considered long term choices.

Clock Countdown: As I’ve already mentioned in the previous Audio Update thread, the way the last three seconds have an echo added to them is not enjoyable to me. If there were two samples, one with the echo and one without, that would be a great improvement to me. Nothing wrong with the echo. I just find it agitating, distracting, and not to my personal tastes.

All Other Sounds: I have zero complaints. I love what you are adding and the range of diversity of sounds. You are rocking this hardcore anoek. You should be proud!

3 Likes

Truly, this is amazing and unexpected work. I cannot thank you enough for adding such bells and whistles to the best Go Server in the world. Little features like this really elevate this website’s offerings to a higher plane.

I wish more sites took such care and considered such little details. Details, which when implemented properly, add an exceptional sense of realism and synaesthetic joy. I know such work is tedious and can involve a great deal of trial and error. Your dedication is unquestionable, and your care for the end user experience is obvious.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for investing so much of yourself in the beautiful endeavor that is OGS :heart:

6 Likes

Yes, I hear “game started” twice too. Sometimes it is cropped at the end, so it sounds like “Game start! Game start!”.

The browser is Firefox 68.4.1

3 Likes

Do you have multiple tabs open?

3 Likes

@S_Alexander @teapoweredrobot counting up should behave better now

4 Likes

It still counts down if byo-yomi periods are over 60 seconds, regardless how its set up.

Also if you make it count up for every 10 seconds from 30 secs, and for every second after 10, it does “30…40…1…2…3…” with 1 minute byo-yomis. Feels weird. With 1min10s byo-yomis on the same settings it does “30…20…10…9…8…”

EDIT: OH NO NOW ITS ACTUALLY EVEN WORSE THAN BEFORE!

When you make it count up on every second starting at 60 seconds, but use under 60 second byo-yomis, the countdown still counts to 60 but starts from the middle. Like with 30s byo-yomis and last 60 seconds being counted, the countdown starts at 31 and ends to 60.

Usually yes but not for the same game.

Anyway I tried using a new Firefox profile with no extensions and nothing open but one OGS tab. Still I heard the announcement twice. (However now that I think of it, maybe I had the old firefox profile running at the same time…)

OK counting up should behave better now. I still have it only enabled for byo-yomi for the time being, but the way it works now it should work for any time setting which is good. If people are happy with it, I’ll enable it for everything.

5 Likes

Can I give a tiny bit of feedback that is really rather unimportant in the grand scheme of things?

If I’ve understood, when you win the voice option says “you have won” whereas when your opponent wins it says “black/white wins”. So far so good, much nicer to say your opponent won than that you lost. Good good. The problem is that the “black/white wins” voice sounds really happy about it. The intonation rises like it’s delighted about your opponent winning. I think it could be a bit more sympathetic sounding. A flatter intonation would be much better for my delicate sensibilities I feel.

Edit: I’ve mentioned it before but I love the new sounds and I don’t want to be at all negative about them. They are so good I’ve taken to playing with the sounds on, which I never imagined I would!

9 Likes

What @_KoBa said is still true.

If you use counting from 60 seconds and play with 40s period the first count becomes twenty as if you played with 60s period. That shouldn’t be like that.

And again, you shouldn’t have a count at the start of the move, ideally, I think.

Counting up last 10 seconds appear to work nicely now :+1:

Best way to announce your loss:

2 Likes

That absolutely should be like that. If you’re expecting the counting to go up to 60 and you suddenly timeout at 40, that is MUCH worse than counting starting from 20.

Well, I’d think normal person expects counting to go up to 40s if you have 40s periods.

Consider it the other way. I have counting every 10 seconds for last 30 seconds enabled in settings and play with 60s periods. Then I’ll get counts “ten”, “twenty”, “thirty” -> timeout instead of more natural “forty”, “fifty”, “sixty” -> timeout.

And I want to note that most people wouldn’t timeout suddenly because last 10 seconds are usually counted anyway.

Edit: thinking about all possible edge cases is so confusing.

3 Likes

Yes, yes it is.

Does anyone know if any of the other servers out there provide a counting up option? If so, what do they do?

2 Likes

I love the way production server works on submit button now. My color stone with + in it changing to small circle with the placement sound is just perfect!

8 Likes

It was an elegant solution @Tokumoto, thanks for suggesting it!

5 Likes

What’s the worst overengineering you have seen? This is my favourite.

4 Likes