Codenames Pictures #1

Welcome to our first forum game of Codenames Pictures!

Two teams, Red and Blue, will face each other in a match, trying to find their 8-9 pictures amongst a grid of 25 pictures.

Game will start as soon as each team has at least one Leader and two Guessers. More Guessers can join the teams even if the game has already begun.

Rules:

Summary

Overview

There is a Blue Team and a Red Team.

There are 25 pictures, of which:
9 Blue pictures;
8 Red pictures;
7 Neutral pictures;
1 Dark picture;

The goal of the Blue Team Guessers is to identify all the Blue pictures. The goal of the Red Team Guessers is to identify all the Red pictures.

The Blue Team Leader and Red Team Leader know which pictures are which, and will give hints to help their teammates.

If a team accidentally identifies the Dark picture, they lose.

Turn order

Teams alternate taking turns. A turn consists in two phases:

1. The Leader gives a hint and a number. The hint must be a single word. The number must be between 1 and 9.
  2. a. The Guessers discuss, then make a guess by giving the coordinates of a picture in the grid.
  3. b. The Team Leaders or myself reveal the secret colour of the guessed picture.

Phases 2.a. and 2.b. are repeated until either the given number of pictures have been correctly guessed, or a colour is revealed which is not that team’s colour. For instance, if Red Team Leader has given hint and number “Buildings, 3”, then Red’s turn ends as soon as the Red Guessers have guessed 3 Red pictures, or have guessed 1 Blue, Neutral or Dark picture.

If a Team Leader is not certain whether the word they want to give as clue is really a word or not, they can ask the other Team Leader and myself by private message, and we’ll decide together.

Game end

Game ends when:

• all pictures of one team’s colour have been revealed: that team wins;
  • or when the Dark picture has been revealed: the team who revealed it loses.

Communication

• Public communication between all Guessers is allowed and encouraged, here on this thread.
  • Guessers should make it clear when they are making an official guess, as opposed to discussing their potential guesses.
  • Private communication between the Guessers is forbidden.
  • Communication from the Leaders is limited to what is explicitly allowed by the rules: giving hints and announcing the colour of a guessed word.
  • Private communication in a 3-way private conversation between the 2 Team Leaders and myself is allowed.

Sign-ups begin now!

Participants:

Grid:
A1, B1, C1, D1, E1

A5, B5, C5, D5, E5

Upper-left picture is A1, lower-right picture is E5.

5 Likes

I’ll play

3 Likes

I’ll lurk.

3 Likes

I’ll play :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll play

3 Likes

I’ll play

2 Likes

Perhaps we should play with one leader and one guesser, since seemingly there are not many eager participants… :confused:

1 Like

I can play if there is a need for more participants. But with all the forum games / activities I’m participating in these days, I don’t know how much time I can really invest.

1 Like

Only one Guesser per team would mean that there would be no discussion at all. It would be a lot less fun.

2 Likes

I will make the teams randomly, but if you have preferences I can also take them into account.

In particular, don’t hesitate to state whether you accept to be Team Leader or not, and if you want to be in the same team as someone else.

If you need an extra player I’ll play.

I don’t really understand the concept though.

There’s 25 pictures with 4 “colours” assigned to them (colours for ease of terminology).

The teams want to guess the (something?) about the pictures that are assigned their team colour.

I think I need a summary of the summary to be honest :stuck_out_tongue: Or to be a bit less tired when I read it

1 Like

Summary:

There is a Blue Team and a Red Team.

• There are 25 pictures, of which:
  • 9 Blue pictures;
  • 8 Red pictures;
  • 7 Neutral pictures;
  • 1 Dark picture;

The goal of the Blue Team Guessers is to identify all the Blue pictures. The goal of the Red Team Guessers is to identify all the Red pictures.

The Blue Team Leader and Red Team Leader know which pictures are which, and will give hints to help their teammates.

If a team accidentally identifies the Dark picture, they lose.

2 Likes

I have no particular preference. I’m fine with either being a guesser or a leader. I just hope I am not terrible as a guesser :sweat_smile:

I’ll give it a whirl if you need to make up numbers. How come there’s an asymmetrical target count? Komi I suppose… although, first to play also have an increased chance of picking the dark. I assume.

Yes it’s “komi”. The team who starts has one more picture to guess.

Please do not make me team leader.

I guess we can start.

We have an even number of players, plus @Gia and @martin3141 who said they kind of wouldn’t really be active.

EDIT/ I removed @Gia as per her request.

I will send the grid of colours to the two Team Leaders, @_Sofiam and @Vsotvep. Blue Team Leader can post the first hint and number as soon as they’re ready.

A few rule details:

• Guessers should make it clear and explicit when they are guessing a picture, by stating it on a single bolded line, such as “Blue Team guesses A3.”. (Note that I haven’t yet generated the grid of colours as I am writing this example)
  • As soon as a Guesser makes a clear and explicit guess on a single bolded line, it cannot be undone, no matter whether the other Guessers in the team agreed with it or not.
  • Discussion between guessers is strongly encouraged, as long as it’s public on this thread. Discussion from Leaders will be mostly forbidden as soon as I have sent the grid of colours.

If you have questions or if I have forgotten something, feel free to ask it here. Unless you’re a Team Leader: in that case, ask your question to me and the other Leader by private message.

3 Likes

That’s going to be troll-proof for sure. Luckily we don’t have any sketchy players participating… oh wait…

5 Likes

We could change that to “a guess is validated as soon as at least half the team guessers have voted in favour of it”, but that would slow the game down, and discourage people from joining if they’re afraid they won’t be present.

3 Likes

Please remove me, I meant I’ll lurk, not that I’ll participate.

1 Like