Codenames Pictures #1

Oh that’s interesting, I didn’t think of those :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I’m not so sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

There seems to be consensus on E3. I agree that is a rather cartoonish crocodilian, maybe the most obvious reptile on the grid. I suppose that is the safest bet, agreed?

Here are my impressions on the other 3:

• D1 could probably fall under “boardgame”, and it kind of looks like Snakes & Ladders.
  • E1 does look very strongly like a dragon. Most dragons are assumed to be reptiles, though not always.
  • A3 I hadn’t spotted until @martin3141 mentioned it. They look like some kind of pterosaur to me (more on this later)

I’ll rank them according to my own opinion:

1. To me A3 is the strongest. I wasn’t sure at first because dinosaurs are classified as reptiles or not-reptiles depending on who you ask. Reptiles are often considered a paraphyletic group. However Pterosaurs are not dinosaurs, they are considered a sister clade of flying reptiles. This is the most technically true, which is something I can expect from @Vsotvep (no shade).

2. The E1 dragon is very conspicuous. Maybe the most obvious trumps all else, but I don’t know. I think Vsotvep would have predicted a heated debate over whether a dragon is truly a reptiles, being mythical creatures and all. Also, are those plumed wings? Is it a basilisk? I don’t know. I rank it #2

3. D3 may be interpreted as S&L, but it may also not. I don’t know, I never played that game. Still, it seems to me a bit of a stretch that one would have to guess the exact boardgame and then pull the word “snake” from it. Is it that obvious? I don’t know, what do you think?

3 Likes

So to keep the ball rolling

Red team guesses E3

After that I don’t mind. We can try for A3 next since that’s your strongest preference @Leira, and @martin3141 also pointed it out?

3 Likes

One thing I was also thinking, was if I had to come up with the prompts, would I give you some leeway with the number chosen.

For example what if all four of our suggestions were actually Red, but Vsotvep just chose 2 guesses in case we were at risk of not recognising some of them or debating about whether a dragon or other fictitious creature is a reptile :slight_smile:

They probably can’t clarify until after the game is over I imagine, but it’s something to wonder about.

2 Likes

I am actually wondering why @_Sofiam risked that red camel, and also such a large number. What if it is a ruse, like that one time I bet 6 Spades in a game bridge without a single one in my hand :thinking:

4 Likes

Too early to explain why :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

If there is a picture that can be connected to both teams hints, then it might be good strategy to postpone guessing it as long as possible. It could be of the opposing team colour by a higher chance, and revealing it gives the other team information with respect to their own hint.

Luckily in our case I believe (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that there is no being that is both reptile and mammal.

3 Likes

Still unknown:
7 Blue pictures;
6 Red pictures;
7 Neutral pictures;
1 Dark picture.

4 Likes

Probably true, maybe the closest is the Platypus - Wikipedia ? I don’t know much of animal classifications really

1 Like

Well, there are some creatures that I would not be sure. The most famous of which is the Dimetrodon. Still, probably just reptile in this case.

Now, if you want the meme answer, these guys are pretty whacky:

CNcRf4jUkAAHsYJ

1 Like

Read my mind haha.

1 Like

So are we thinking A3 then next?

2 Likes

Red Team guesses A3

3 Likes

A3 is Red.

Still unknown:
7 Blue pictures;
5 Red pictures;
7 Neutral pictures;
1 Dark picture.

Red Team has successfully guessed 2 Red pictures. You are allowed one bonus guess. If you do not want to use it, please explicitly say “Red Team passes”.

3 Likes

I’m kind of hit or miss on the bonus guess @martin3141 and @Leira

If the reptile hint really only applied to two pictures then were looking at a

• 1/4 ~25% chance of hitting a red at random
  • 7/20 ~35% chance of hitting a blue
  • 7/20 ~35% chance of hitting a neutral
  • 1/20 ~5% of a game over

However if you think either the dragon or the snakes and ladders could count as a reptile and that we weren’t expected to hit all 4 I don’t mind going for it.

Or if we want to try hit a non mammal or something

1 Like

I think we should pass.

The chance is higher of accidentally letting blue tie than to improve our position for a minor gain. Ignoring pictures with mammals presumably increases our chances of a game over, since, as bold as Blue Leader may be, I don’t think they risked losing with their hint. Also, we don’t really know if there aren’t any blue mammals left.

And even if we guess correctly, it is uncertain for us whether that leaves better passwords for the next turns. We might just not hit anything good.

If we were to take a guess maybe those are reasonable. But I don’t know how to rate that. To be honest, I think if (one or both of) those had been blue, I see no reason the clue couldn’t have been REPTILE 3, or even REPTILE 4. I mean, Snakes & Ladders may be stretch, but, if forced to find a reptile where there are no others left, it is not even unreasonable.

2 Likes

I agree with passing.

2 Likes

@Leira @martin3141

Red Team passes

2 Likes

My next hint is 湖泊 5

I remind you that with “mammal 5” you guessed 2.

*I didn’t see limitations on the language

(I had a translation problem, this was the word I wanted to say)

2 Likes

The clue was “reptile 2”, so isn’t team red forced to be done having guessed twice already?