Codenames Pictures #1

Since we currently have 3 guessers on the red team, perhaps we can have someone switch teams?

2 Likes

Blue guesses B4

1 Like

:sob:

Blue team is wrong, B4 is red.

Still unknown:
4 Blue pictures;
4 Red pictures;
7 Neutral pictures;
1 Dark picture.

@Vsotvep 's turn.

3 Likes

I just realized that Sofia specifically used the singular form ā€œmammalā€ in the clue, which suggests that only one mammal should be present in the image. I guess that we have possible closed that clue, except for maybe the sheep.

What do we do about the teams? I donā€™t mind switching teams (no offense Shinuito & Leira, balancing the teams is good)

3 Likes

Endgame, 2

Because of some (in my opinion unfounded, but understandable) accusations, I am pulling out. I think itā€™s the best thing for everyone.
I apologize to everyone, especially @yebellz.

Does anyone want to take my place as captain of the blue team?

2 Likes

We could have @ArsenLapin1 becoming the Blue team leader and @martin3141 joining the Blue guessers, then we have balanced teams again.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have any problem with that. Does @ArsenLapin1 agree? Should we continue playing?

3 Likes

Sorry for the wait. We were trying to clarify. And I am also sorry for all the wrong things I did. I probably gave too many unallowed clues, but I didnā€™t mean to cheat.
I will continue and just post the hints, nothing else.

4 Likes

It doesnā€™t bother me, itā€™s still the first game, figuring things out etc :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What about you, @Jade_9000 ? You are welcome to keep playing if you want to.

2 Likes

In any case, I believe @shinuito and @Leira are still in the red team, and perhaps would like to have a go at guessing?

2 Likes

I understand that in this game many things can be interpreted as hints toward the team. This is also an issue with ā€œreal-lifeā€-codenames, where body language is an additional factor.

But its a game for fun, so whatā€™s the problem? And even in all seriousness, I donā€™t think that your posts gave too much of a hint. So donā€™t worry about it, really.

6 Likes

Endgame seems like a tough one.

I would be first looking at ones like

• A1 - maybe a go prompt
  • E2 - go but lots more stones
  • A4 - looks like a chess type game, though a chess endgame might have less pieces, I think itā€™s technically endgame once the Queens are off the board.

Maybe A5 and C5 look loosely go related, a yin yang sort of thing, and a blimp with how the ai makes weird go grids and stones. Probably two of the first three though @Leira ? Any other ideas?

3 Likes
Yes, I'm keen to continue. *waves men in black erase memory wand thingy*

Well, on a stroll yesterday I saw this:

ā€¦and thought of my abandoned teammates (including dark on yellow)ā€¦ then on my ā€œway inā€ to OGF this morning the google design isā€¦

ā€¦and my first thought was ā€œHoly crap - mammals, 5!ā€. So apparently Iā€™m still thinking about it.

Side comment: this is why I quit Rengo. Itā€™s one thing to screw up when solo, another to let down a team. Anyway, go the Blues!

2 Likes

I agree. We must indeed consider that endgame is not exclusive to Go. Speaking of which, we must consider the implications of why the clue was not ā€œBaduk, 2ā€.

I think A1 and E2 should not simultaneously be blue, because that would be more easily resolved by the clue I just mentioned. I donā€™t think the Zeppelin thingy or the kinda gross open-sandwich would be the first two picks for anyone.

I then prefer we go for E2 (not an official guess yet). That really looks like and endgame to me and I believe itā€™s a safe pick. A1 looks more like a bunch of black stones on a 9x9, like what youā€™d do if you were teaching the rules or something (ā€œSee?, eye-shape good, empty-triangle badā€).

Since I think we must also consider one of the Chess games, Iā€™m actually torn between the Big Ben (A4) and Confucius v. Einstein (B3).

Technically Queens off the board, you say :thinking:? Thatā€™s a interesting proposition. A4 seems to fit that bill, although itā€™s hard to tell because the picture is a bit awkward.

B3 is also a bit hazy to make out for sure, but it looks like thereā€™s only 4 tall pieces left on the board (the other ones captured and set aside). Maybe a Queen and a Bishop? Certainly Einstein looks a bit sad heā€™s about to lose :sweat_smile: Not sure what to make of it. What do you think of this one?

1 Like

I think I completely skipped over the fact that one had pieces in it :slight_smile:

Yeah I donā€™t think itā€™s a rigourous definition, but I donā€™t think Iā€™m the only person whoā€™s heard that before

I have heard and read in several places, from several GMs that when the Queens are off the board it is the Endgame. What is the reason for this?

(not really a source for the term, but more a ā€œIā€™m not the only crazy personā€ Queens off the board equals Endgame - Chess Forums - Chess.com, and queens - Why is there association between a queenless position and the endgame? - Chess Stack Exchange)

I think itā€™s just the case that the king is in less risk of being immediately check-mated when thereā€™s no queens, so can become active to capture pieces.

However it wouldnā€™t really be consistent with something like Queen_and_pawn_endings - wikipedia - which of course have very little pieces so you would expect it to be considered endgame.

So while Iā€™m not sure if @martin3141 is still on our team, itā€™s probably safe enough to try

Red guesses E2

and then we can decide a bit more which ā€œEndgameā€ seems to suit best.

@Leira I suppose the other notions one could think of with endgame would be Avengers: Endgame - Wikipedia but Iā€™m not really seeing any marvel characters unless the space/psychedelic sheep in C2 is some kind of reference Iā€™m not getting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is also the idea that

(apologies smurph, you probably have no interest in this forums game :P)