Correspondence game with only a certain time to play next move after having seen the previous one?

Hi,
I wonder if this kind of time setting exists elsewhere and could be implemented on internet go servers. One of the nice aspects of correspondence games is that they allow people who don’t have much free time to still play go. On the other hand it gives the players enough time to analyse carefully every situation, which is very nice if the players are feeling like they want to play that kind of game, but which may decrease the fun of a nervous fight with tight time limit. I wonder if a time setting which takes the best of both world exists: correspondance as long as you have not seen your opponent’s move, but once you open the game window you have to play your next move in live time settings.
This would require the game board to be “invisible” for everyone before it is oppened to play, but beside that, is that not feasible?

13 Likes

Does that mean if I don’t open the board I won’t ever have to move?

If there’s a cutoff time so that after X days even without seeing the move the person will time out, then it’s more or less like simple time with X days per move, except if they open the game presumably they lose some of that time.

Would the board be hidden from everyone?
If the opponent moving immediately is important, they can always see the board as a guest account…

7 Likes

See: Pseudo-live option for games

4 Likes

In a tournament set up this variant could reduce Through the Years to a rapid affair.
:rofl:

I think that a cutoff time might be useful.

1 Like

This proposal would destroy the principal characteristic of correspondence play: deep, leisurely analysis. It also discriminates against elderly players, who generally do everything more slowly.

1 Like

I think it’s in the same spirit of “sealed” moves?

Unless it becomes mandatory (which I highly doubt tbh), if two or more people agree to play this way, I find it a legitimate setting.

Note: I hope OP agrees this setting should stay in corr for logistics purposes, though!!

(maybe we could also get rid of some live tournaments that have been paused for years because apparently people can’t find the time to both be available for the game…)

ETA: so that we don’t have to hide stuff, I wonder if the mechanics of conditional moves could be used.

4 Likes

I would love this time setting!

My main problem with correspondence games is procrastinating making a move in difficult situations until my time almost runs out

12 Likes

No, I see it more as a combination of the two time settings, you would still have a clock that force you to look at the move with a time setting similar to what we know in correspondence. For instance “1 week main time to “open” the move and then a live time setting once you have seen the move”

6 Likes

Yes indeed I think it would be necessary to hide the board to everyone.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I would not like that to replace traditional correspondence, I would just enjoy if the option was there.

4 Likes

I think it’s in the same spirit of “sealed” moves?

Yes exactly.

1 Like

I like the idea, but the problem I’d run into is that I frequently look at my correspondence games before I’m ready/have the time to respond.
If there were a separate section for this type of correspondence, or maybe an additional button you have to press upon navigating to the match in order to see it, that would be super awesome

4 Likes

Yes this what I am thinking about. A distinct section where you can only see the state of the board when you have oppened the game window where you can play. As @Gia said, it is in the spirit of a sealed move

1 Like

That’s not really correspondence. It is a variation on a live game, one that is spread out over a period of time, just like some championships used to be done (or maybe still are, for all I know).

1 Like

I do wonder how that would work with the move circle thingy.

2 Likes

I guess, but isn’t the definition kind of arbitrary? Couldn’t somebody just say “no, it’s a variation on correspondence” and be equally valid? If we’re agreeing it’s a variation on the normal settings, it doesn’t seem to matter :woman_shrugging: and considering the participants would arguably still be corresponding, I’d think many or most folks would still associate it with correspondence

Another solution could just be to have something like the Twitch Mature filter, which blocks your vision of a Twitch stream after you navigate to it if marked “mature”, until you click a button acknowledging that you understand

5 Likes

Where’s the cockpit OGS settings meme

2 Likes

I don’t think so. If the actual game play is taking place using a live setting (an hour or less per move? I don’t remember), then the system will classify that as a live game. If it is more, then it is a correspondence game. If you play a live game and pause it for several days, is it still live or correspondence? That is what the proposal is, but with an unlimited number of pauses.

Also, I do not believe it would speed up those interminable tournaments. I believe most of the delays in those cases are because people use up much of their time away from the game and spend comparatively little time with the game open. I don’t imagine that that would change.

2 Likes

Yes, maybe it’s more live you are right. But how to define it is not the important thing.

Yes, the number of “pauses” is theoretically limited but the time you spend in pause of “pause” is still limited as there is a clock.

It is possible but I am not proposing this time setting as a way to reduce the time of tournaments, but more as a way for people who do not have much time to still be able to play games with a live time setting.

3 Likes