Detective Go 🔍 The First Game

Generally I like these moves. However I wonder if at this point yebellz anticipates that we’ll reinforce our single-stones, and builds at an empty space in the center instead of attacking. Is it ok if I play a move around F10? I could also generate some random moves around there, to be unpredictable.

If he hasn’t been anticipating that since the beginning, he can only have 4 or 5 stones there, right?

Also, living in the centre requires about 5 more stones than living in the corner, so we have time afterwards to search the centre more.

Also, Q14 was one of our first moves, if yebellz is making this base in the top right:

then he has been having free play since the beginning

1 Like

Ok, then let’s go for these moves. I do like the aspect of reinforcing my presence in the upper-right corner, too :slightly_smiling_face:

Good point, I didn’t think about that. Let’s hope it’s not the case :sweat_smile:

If this is the case, we’re probably already screwed right now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I guess we’ll find out. @yebellz here are our moves:

blue D3
yellow G16 G15
green P14

@yebellz: if you manage to make unconditional life, would you announce it?

1 Like

Pardon the interruption friendly detectives, but it appears that a yellow stone currently occupies G16.

6 Likes

Thank you @mark5000 , the intention was to play G15.

So with that correction @yebellz our moves are:

blue D3
yellow G15
green P14

1 Like

Demo Board

Back to the hunters (@Vsotvep, @martin3141, @shinuito)

3 Likes

So G16 has been captured, I presume?

2 Likes

I won’t waste your time if the outcome of the game becomes apparent to me:

• I will resign if it becomes clear to me that I cannot make a living group
  • I will let you know if I have an unconditionally alive group.

How about this amendment to the rules?

• The fugitive may choose to reveal a chain at any time.

Yes

3 Likes

Ok, so we’re having this in front of us:

It is likely that G16 has been in atari since a while already, and that it was captured only now because we discovered G15. That also means that this is probably where the other four red stones are as well. At least we should assume so, for now.

The question is, how can we kill it?

I think D15 is most evidently urgent, if yebellz has something like the following:

If we can get D15 in, it would mean that E16 needs to be filled up as well, unless D16 is one of the uncapturable ko shapes, e.g:

[edit: Actually, turns out D16 can still be captured, simultaneously with E17, so this is not a living shape yet… Also, this has 5 eyes, he needs only 4…]

The other thing that we need to make sure of, is that this group is not expanding or has already expanded towards the right. Question is, how to check this without giving easy targets to yebellz?

1 Like

I think given yebellz can only place one stone at a time, we can go for some alternating pattern like one or two players reinforce weak stones while the others place new weak one point stones to probe.

Me and Martin could start approaching from the outside to limit space and you @Vsotvep could either dive in and see if you can hit a stone to reveal the group shape, or, just place a possibly weak stone in a key place with a view to reinforcing in next turn.

Edit: Suppose I play d15, Martin like j15 and then vsotvep something like f14 or just dive in like f16, d16 or f15 etc.

2 Likes

This would be a definite capturing stone, so that one we don’t have to scan. I was thinking of playing D16 and K16. those should at the very least be awkward if there’s no red stone there yet. It’s no problem if the D16 stone gets captured, since it can never become an eye anyways.

In general, we want to play not in possible eyes, but in the stones surrounding them.

1 Like

Looks like we found a major group of yebellz stones. This alleviates the pressure at all other parts of the board and we can and should play our next couple of moves around here.

In order to prevent yebellz from unconditionally living, we probably need to somehow guess correctly where his stones might be.

I believe that taking the history of the game into account may be helpful here; G16 was the third move that shinuito played, so it seems likely that the adjacent stones were played later by yebellz.

1 Like

My feeling is that we should play on some of the light-blue places here:

… and that we’re hoping to not hit yebellz stones, because placing stones that prevent yebellz from making more eyes is now more important than gaining information.

2 Likes

I still think D15 is a good move, since a D16 stone by yebellz becomes relatively harmless with that in place, and it’s a solid connection with the other yellow stones.

How about this?

blue J15
yellow D15
green K16

1 Like

I get we know there’s a stone there but it might be handy to light up the group.

I guess if they’re just ponnukis it’s a waste though.

Looks good to me.

1 Like

At this stage, I’m expecting mostly unconnected stones, connecting them is only necessary once there are enough eyes and quite dangerous in itself. If we were to find a connection, we might as well search in the areas where we aren’t sure, right?

2 Likes