DIY convertible storage goban

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. I’ve yet to finish my first 19×19 game and already I’m spending my effort to build a big goban. Anyway, it’s not done yet but I’m excited to share so here are some pictures of the progress so far. The top is 2.5" thick when removed, so it can function by itself as a substantial table board.

Tomorrow I’ll fit the feet and begin the finishing process before drawing the grid. More pics to follow.

32 Likes

Now that’s … awesome! I’m curious how you’re going to make the grid.

Since you’ve already progressed so far, I assume you’re familiar with https://senseis.xmp.net/?EquipmentDimensions
This might be helpful: http://www.gungfu.de/go/gobans/grid/

<edit>
Are you prepared to take orders? From overseas? What will it cost, including S&H? :smiley:
</edit>

3 Likes

Agree with trhode, I’m excited to see how your grid turns out, Skurj. You seem like an ultra-meticulous person judging by your amazing project photos…you even line up the stones perfectly. :laughing:. Nice! Whenever I see homemade boards from those less skilled than you, it seems uneven lines or variable line thicknesses are the giveaway (even though those can be seen in the sword method, too). Not to put any pressure on you or anything…lol.

3 Likes

Good stuff. I’d love to play on that one when it’s finished. (Also: Persian rug bonus points)

Concerning line drawing… if you fail at tachi-mori, you have to commit seppuku. With the tainted sword. True story. :smirk:

8 Likes

I don’t know what smurph said, but it sure sounds like it’d smart pretty good.

(J/K…lol)

2 Likes

I’m very curious about the finish.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s gorgeous! Nice work

2 Likes

Yes the cells will fall in between the traditional Chinese and Japanese sizes, 23mm × 24mm for my board. After making some test grids on paper I found that size to be a good compromise of usability, aesthetics, and simplicity/repeatability of construction.

I’d be glad to produce more copies and ship them out if there is a demand. I’d estimate a final price between $350 and $500 before shipping. But let’s see how the final product turns out before we worry about making more :grinning:

5 Likes

Cool!

Oh … looks totally worth it, but I’m out here :smiley:

2 Likes

Very nice! I love that it can be a floor goban, table goban and a box – brilliant. And the green stones look great on it as well!

3 Likes

I deliberately made the mated pieces with an extremely snug fit, but removing the lid proved to be more difficult than necessary. So I added some internal blocking that gives me a 1/2" relief between the two parts, and adds just a touch of understated flair in my eyes. Now I can sneak a couple fingertips in to pry the lid up. Including the feet the total height is 13 1/8"

I also decided to be boring and go with a more typical stain color (minwax colonial maple) that looks best with regular black and white stones. Sadly I think the green stones will have to find their place on some other board.

7 Likes

Beautiful work! Just for information, if you’re still looking for a way to make the grid, I had mine made in a lasercutting shop. I gave them a file, expplained what I wanted and it worked out great. The grid is lasered in so it are real grooves, but they don’t disturb the laying of the stones.
On my wood the contrast was not really good enough because it’s quite dark, so I used a seringe with Chinese ink to taint the lines a bit more. I suppose you should have to try it on a small piece first.

7 Likes

What type of wood is that slab?

1 Like

Tell me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there a latent ko in the top left after White invades at “A3”?

1 Like

Amazing work1czmlm

3 Likes

It’s oakwood, good for burning, but I prefer to play on it!

4 Likes

I think not, there might be a ko if there are no outside liberties and putting the stone at B3.
I found this on senseis.xmp.net:

2 Likes

Thanks (but I think you mean senseis.xmp.net).

1 Like

I like the raised lid. I also greatly like the blonde, almost no grain playing surface. Clean, modern, and good. Wood grains and dark finishes, although some like them, do not fit with my sensibilities for goban aesthetics. I can’t picture colonial maple stain on the entire thing, but I sure like the way you’re project looks now, Skurj.

3 Likes

@Tongue Thank you. This is the colonial maple color on a test piece just to give you an idea.

8 Likes