Feature Request: Add Clock time on moves

I would like to see what the clock was at when a move was played so I can see how much time my student or myself spent on a specific move. This really helps with learning time management.

10 Likes

Is this different from the issue you posted on the GitHub?

2 Likes

Like this? Seems possible somehow with API. I’ve no idea what that means though!

2 Likes

It means that the backend support is already there, so anyone with the time and the knowhow could implement this for the front end :slight_smile:

I’ve looked around in there but unfortunately the goban/move tree code is a bit confusing to me.

4 Likes

This is already sort of possible for particular moves (if you need to check out some particular ones) by using our API - see Is there a way to see how long you took for a move when reviewing a game - #4 by Lys for details.

It is not readily avilable in our UI yet and there is also trouble with interfacing it with the .sgf format and download as sgf only currently supports “time left on clock” NOT “time spent on a move”, which can be confusing all of which is a complicated way of me saying - the funcionality is almost there so if anyone is interested in helping making it “real” check out our github and consider contactig eugene as I think he was doing something in that area

4 Likes

This is a great feature that should exist. maybe it cant be included in the .sfg kifu because thats standardised but it should still be included in ogs’ record of the game.

3 Likes

I mean, it’s recorded but never shown.

1 Like

Why?

There are some ways to access the data. It’s stored in the variable containing the moves, window["global_goban"].engine.moves, which can be accessed through javascript console while on the game page.

You could find the same list using the API, and visit https://online-go.com/api/v1/games/XXXX/, where “XXXX” is the relevant game id.

When previously discussing this internally, the conclusion was that anoek doesn’t see problems with move timing being publicly accessible, but that it’s not high on the priority list at the moment. To quote him:

I’m OK with doing it, it’s not at the top of my priority list, however this is something that could be done by a contributor should the feel so inclined, the code for generating SGF’s is here: goban/MoveTree.ts at master · online-go/goban · GitHub , the thing that makes this non trivial is that we do not store how long is left on the clock, we store how long a move took to make, so we have to reverse that for the various types of clocks we support, which will take a little bit.

For an OGS display, it’s mainly a matter of coming up with an interface that makes sense, perhaps a graph of the move timings or something. Again that’s something that a contributor could do if they were so inclined.

So if you wish, you could write the code yourself and submit it to the github. Otherwise, it may take a while before this becomes a feature.

3 Likes

Analyzing move times could be an excellent way to detect cheating with AI. If someone repeatedly comes up with the optimal moves in complex board positions, in a very short amount of time, well beyond what their rating suggests they should be able to do, there is a good chance they had some “help”. This would work until people got wise to the time analysis aspect, and started waiting 3 minutes before they submitted their move. I bet most cheaters could be caught and banned before they realized how they got caught.

1 Like

I think that’s what most people would find interesting anyway, not time left.

(Inb4 don’t send Gia to github, Gia can’t code, asked and answered, it’s on record etc :stuck_out_tongue:)

As a rather fast player (not necessarily a good thing for me I might add), a graph of how my response time fluctuates during the game would probably help me.

I wonder if there could be a way to replay in real speed, to incorporate how long each move got to play. Clicking ahead sometimes makes me think I’m losing the thought process of the players.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think this quote is in answer to a similar but slightly different request :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also could I have a “for idiots”? I’m rather intrigued now.

Step 1: Go to the game you want to see, e.g. to https://online-go.com/game/32597117
Step 2: Note the game id in the URL, so 32597117
Step 3: Go to the API page, in this case online-go.com/api/v1/games/32597117/
Step 4: Scroll down until you find the move list (it’s the really long list of triplets of numbers)
Step 5: the first number is the column (starting at 0), the second number is the row (starting at 0), the third number is the time it took to move (in ms). Also, (-1,-1) means “pass”

3 Likes

This is your last game:
https://online-go.com/game/33000502

This is the same game through API:
https://online-go.com/api/v1/games/33000502

There you can find all moves with their time in milliseconds

3 Likes

Is Q16 8 seconds in?

1 Like

Yep, looks like it

2 Likes

Wanted to find it for quite a while, and finally did it.

Back in the olden days we would plot time usage like this and analyze the pivotal moments of the game.

Long time ago though, maybe 2018?

4 Likes

in pro games commentaries (like when I was following the pro titles in GoWorld magazines) the time spent was often an argument and even some lengthly reviews had the timestamp on each move. It’s amazing how this is put aside between Ama players.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.