Feature Request - Stone Images

I’ve requested this before but I’m bringing it up again as my current project could work with it.

On Tsumego Dragon there is a feature to unlock board and stone skins. On this window you can copy the url link to the image. My hope is that the users can copy these links and use them on OGS in their own games.

What users can currently do.

The goal

9 Likes

I love it <3333

Maybe same “custom url” than with board backgrounds?

3 Likes

Yes. Image URL for each stone just like the Goban has already.

2 Likes

This looks pretty feasible.

There is a catch though: whatever image you provide is going to get various things overlaid on it:

• The symbols that indicate that it’s the most recently placed stone, thinking stone etc
  • Numbers when there’s a “move indicator” on them

… etc.

Is that going to put you off?

Cats

Initial take on this here:

9 Likes

FYI the feedback on my initial attempt is along the lines of “nice looking thing, but more work to be done to make it suitable for release”.

So I’ll do that, when I have a chance.

I’ve found it more entertaining than I expected, plonking down cats on the board :laughing:

12 Likes

Oh wow … I’m not usually into that kind of stuff (like, TOTALLY not), but your images are lovely, @GreenAsJade :heart_eyes_cat:

(The white ones could use a little translucency though, I think, if possible, to make them a little less rich in contrast.)

Me too :sweat_smile:

All you have to do is make the image you like available on the web, and point your OGS client to it, and bingo you have it :wink:

That cat face is just a random cat that I pointed at, on pixabay

https://pixabay.com/vectors/cat-cute-face-kitten-kitty-smile-1292992/
1 Like

But why oh why are both colours cats??? It would be much more suitable to have the black as mice!

1 Like

Like this ? ^^

2 Likes

Yep, just work on the relative sizes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Size is taken care of.

Transparency is important though…

5 Likes

These should be transparent. ^^
Untitled design (6)

Untitled design (8)

(Edit, woops, wrong images the first time, reuploaded them)

2 Likes

but black cats are so iconic! :black_cat:

1 Like

Next up: animated GIFs as stone images? :smiley:

gunes

PIA18843

6 Likes

Never please. (Animation)

1 Like

Sadly, animated gifs are not supported. I actually would have liked spinning sun on my board :slight_smile:
(At least, for a moment of entertainment :slight_smile: )

Fascinatingly, plain images posted here in the forum are supported … I’d thought that you might have to host them somewhere else, but posting them here is sufficient, the forum image URL works - obvious in retrospect, but certainly “a nice easy thing”.

8 Likes

I’m so happy this is being looked into!!

1 Like

The only thing holding it up is that the extra option has tipped the design of the theme picker “over the edge” and it’s needing a bit of re-do :sob:

The actual function works (but only on my machine :smile_cat: ) !

Since nobody pointed out the obvious answer:

Anyway, this is great, can’t wait to see it in action :smile_cat:

2 Likes