Features everyone secretly wants on OGS but will never be implemented

(chat)
Off Topic channel should be renamed to “Tenuki”

12 Likes

Minimum time setting per move (Ex. 30s) where the move isn’t submitted until the “minimum move time” has expired. The move could be changed before the minimum move time has expired without sending an undo request. Perhaps the game clock could only start running after the “minimum move time” had expired (everybody gets a free 30s per move).

5 Likes

Why’d you delete that comment? Seemed helpful to me.

(guilty confession: I read the deleted comments)

1 Like

Whoops, this shouldn’t be in this thread :wink: mods can already see full edit history during stone removal phase :grin: was such a great addition

ok but I want it in the chat record :wink:

I guess because the suggestion from @MrEntropy is quite different from Bronstein timing:

In Bronstein timing you can move how quickly you want, but if you move fast enough you will not lose any time at all.

In the @MrEntropy suggestion, if you clicked a move after 5 seconds, it wouldn’t be submitted until the full 30 seconds has passed.

1 Like

Trust me, you don’t :rofl: not in its current form anyway… It gets monstrously long for some games :anguished:

Option to have an animated hand place stones on the board after a move is made.

6 Likes

I could stand that if there are a few hundreds different animations

Delete the score estimator feature, or at least disable it until a player is 10k+. It causes more problems than it solves with beginners learning to score the game.

Delete all AI input in scoring phase. Use basic suggestion of territories and dead stones like other servers and players can then make manual adjustment if wanted.

5 Likes

Ah, I didn’t read Entropy’s post properly, thanks.

It’d be cool to have a display mode where the stones don’t line up exactly, instead jostling around a bit like on a real board.

I saw Gooplet using an option like that on, I think, Sabaki.

3 Likes

And don’t forget to add gacha waifu avatars

4 Likes

4 Likes

Yes, Sabaki does that - quite nice.

Perhaps they can then move slightly during the course of the game, until by the end you have a stone that is half-way between two intersections and no-one can remember where it’s meant to be.

And also have an occasional glass of water spill in from the left and move half the stones.

8 Likes

The first think I do when downloading Sabaki is turn that awful thing off :stuck_out_tongue: It really hurts me to look at it.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s one of those culture things.

But the same concept applies in art outside Japan as well, for example if your house has a “photo wall” (the part of wall where your mom/wife stick family photos on it?), the wall would look terrible if those photos line up perfectly or all stand upright. They must be slightly rotated and differ in sizes to look natural and pleasing :smiley:

1 Like

Things like that probably aren’t necessarily a culture thing, but just personal preference and/or some sort of mild OCD like thing.

I can imagine many people wanting their photos to line up and hang straight :slight_smile:

I can’t quite picture what it is about Sabaki’s fuzzy stone placement that I don’t like. I’m completely ok with stones on a real board being off; I don’t try to align every stone as I’ve seen some pros do tidying up stones, unless they genuinely are placed badly and impact reading or make it questionable at which point the stone is on.

I think it could be how unnaturally Sabaki does it. It probably just picks a random angle and then nudges the stone in that direction.

• There’s no flow to how it places the stones.
  • It’s not like one stone is place slightly too close to it’s neighbours because a player snugly fits it in.
  • It’s not like a style where a player places a stone on the board and slides it to its final position like I’ve seen players like Fujisawa Shuko do.
5 Likes

****ing abominations! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Since the AI is ready, we can finally make a school simulator RPG like the Yugioh GX games in PSP.
What Hikaru no Go GBA games tried.

Hell, isekai is popular. Just let MC got isekaid into a world where everything is settled by a Go game.

2 Likes