Features everyone secretly wants on OGS but will never be implemented

Yeah that’s one of my fantasies as well.

Imagine MC truck-kuned into a world where some genius merchant devised Go as a simulation to decide where to open his stores to compete with his nemesis, and over time people realized the game can even be applied to warfare as well!

2 Likes

Reminds me of that mahjong manga, you know the one.

1 Like

Lot of secret suggestions turn around AI.

What about a tournament organized like these"millionaire" games with multiple choice and the extra joker, calling someone somewhere by hazard and ask his suggestion?

1 Like

What about the sealed move organization for games played in live sessions?

Not the same as a correspondence game.
That kind of game could introduce a new balance between live and correspondence .
Still plenty of time to think but no more going through a list of games with one (or a little more) moves in each of them.

That would be a really different way to play on OGS.

4 Likes

So what, you play for 30 mins or so, seal a move and the game starts up again in 24 hours?

That’s an interesting idea.

3 Likes

Yep exactly .
Furthermore we could have synchronized calendaries to define each game sessions.

You define a global time like let say 16hrs+some byo yomi. Then dispatch it like 4x4hrs or 8x2 daily from 7 to 9 pm…

Or shorter sessions and global times ofc.

2 Likes

Here’s an unrelated thought.

In chess, there is the concept of a “centaur player”, which is a human who refers to a bot but doesn’t have to just play whatever the bot wants.

How about centaur accounts on OGS, with their own colour (like bot usernames are grey)? That way, one could legitimately play using a bot without falling foul of cheating allegations.

eg. I can see Human & KataGo rengo accounts being a fun option, especially if the human is a DDK.

5 Likes

By the way, slightly off-topic but I have a theory that the weaker player in a rengo team often plays stronger than he would on his own.

1. Because he feels he doesn’t want to disappoint his stronger teammate
  2. Because a good haengma has been defined by the stronger player, and the weaker only has to understand that haengma rather than craft it himself.
3 Likes

The first idea is simply to give the tools to play like that:
A synchronized calendary. ( Optional but very useful)

The adjournement system (Establishing the sessions (and editing for flexibility maybe?). When a player go over the session time limit, then his move is sealed .

1 Like

Rengo have high value for the teaching side (and the funny side often too)

4 Likes

There isn’t a button to make a branch the main branch in a demo board is there?

I know one could delete the other branches to make it a main branch, possibly copying and pasting to retain the other branches, but I imagine if there’s multiple branches, or essentially a tree, it’d be very difficult to retain the structure.

3 Likes

Its very hard to play Blind Go or One Color Go. Endgame especially. Border is likely to be not closed somewhere.
After move 100, each move there should be random chance that game ends. And then Kata Bot decides the winner.
So, players with any skill will be able to play Blind Go with each other without worrying about chaos in the end.

Real visually impaired people will be able to play this mode too. I guess they may have troubles with Full Version Go.

Change the name of “vacation” to something more reflective of what it actually is. It strikes me that if go players are actually on vacation they should have more time to play Go rather than needing to pause everything.

Similarly, I’ve never understood weekend pause…

9 Likes

It’s actually very correct for me, because I only play go during work days. Vacations are for playing video games & with family :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I guess it’s plausible that one forgets to make their correspondence moves if one is out doing things on vacation, or just travelling etc.

Same with weekends, maybe there’s a lot on, jobs around house, going out doing things, birthdays etc and one loses a day or two or time without realising.

I guess with phone access it’s a bit easier to submit moves wherever, although abroad internet access and mobile roaming data might be limited.

3 Likes

I suppose I make go moves as a distraction/procrastination from these things!

7 Likes

When I took vacations (it’s been several years now), I might be hiking, rock hunting, and camping in the mountain or deserts, or visiting my best friend in New Hampshire, where go can’t compete with socializing, yard sailing, and rock hunting.

Weekends are the only time to get house projects done, as well as any other life errands.

3 Likes

I honestly read that first as vaccinations. 2020-2021 has been a bit rough.

7 Likes

A chess/LiChess jar.

Every time someone mentions those, they put a cent in.

12 Likes

Incoming OGS Industry.

1 Like