Features everyone secretly wants on OGS but will never be implemented

Did you try using the browser zoom feature (Ctrl +)?

OGS keeps the board to fill the viewable space, but zoom has the effect of changing the effective pixel width, which causes the lines to thicken/thin depending on zoom level.

7 Likes

Waitwut Iā€™m an idiot!

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve said it before, but I find this an actually useful thing. Usually news get each their own thread, but news as in ā€œthis happenedā€ and also ā€œlive game, watch thisā€ in one place and with reminders/ notifications would be great.

3 Likes

Well I had more something like Eurovision in mind but yes sure

3 Likes

Tournament games with more than nine stones handicap.

Even in the tightest of danā€“ddk games (1dā€“10k), nine seems barely enough ā€“ then expand that outā€¦

5 Likes

Live or blitz tournament where you can challenge your opponent when you like. (opponent need to accept it like a normal personal challenge, you can cancel your request and try later)
You and your opponent have week to start and end the game. If you donā€™t play game, both disqualified.

2 Likes

Trophies to be displayed in board size order or reverse board size instead of 9, 19, 13ā€¦

9 Likes

I never noticed that! Is that always like this?

Itā€™s in alphabetical order, isnā€™t that perfect already? Nine, nineteen, thirteen.

7 Likes

And I suppose itā€™s fine that theyā€™re all different size fonts because they are about different size boards?

7 Likes

Donā€™t forget a real-time markdown editor! (On the main site - I know Discourse implements most M :arrow_down: syntax on the forum already.)

1 Like

With vim bindings.

1 Like

Saving undone moves as variations in the game record (sgf file).

3 Likes

Was it mentioned, paid AI assistance in game? :smile:

2 Likes

Or a game option that allows each player a number of AI suggestions to be used during the game. Only for unranked games, of course.

1 Like

Conditional board backgrounds. Just imagine this image popping up when your opponent plays at a vital point.

7 Likes

Does anyone have ideas for 9+ stone handicap formations?

If you do then post them in Handicap Hub (or, indeed, a new thread).

Thereā€™s some evidence for prior use of certain formations on Senseiā€™s Library and in other places. I was discussing them in the Free Placement of Handicap Stones thread as well.

Make it an option to disable vacation for specific games and tournaments. Like the disable analysis checkbox.

8 Likes

Bulk download of my game archive, so I have a copy of all the detailed reviews I made on OGS in case the server disappeared, and to enable pattern searching for memorable positions.

Not really a secret as thereā€™s a feature request thread for it, but over 7 years ago so Iā€™m not pinning my hopes on it happening.

3 Likes

There exists this GitHub - JaniM/ogs-fetch: Fetches SGF records for players from OGS.

4 Likes