Features everyone secretly wants on OGS but will never be implemented

Yes yes, when you’re in really good form you can take that “play like 6d” kifu to go around boasting like forever

2 Likes

Ah I don’t have that one.

Let’s face the truth, almost 150 posts and no one brave enough to ask for the coffee machine and the cookies seller.

4 Likes

Show what percentage of games a player has left and not finished (lost by long inactivity timeout), and impose harsher timeout settings on “rude” players.

3 Likes

A setting to block/refuse open matches with unranked/provisional players. Almost all of who seem to be markedly better then my current 12k skill set.

1 Like

That’s basically a wrong attitude but if many feel like you then it’s the system which is wrong.

1 Like

I understand the sentiment, even if it’s kind of a wrong attitude (since if everyone did it no one could get a rank…) When I was around 20k last year I remember every ? account seemed to be a returning SDK climbing up to their old rank or at least it felt like that

There’s also at least one or two ? accounts I’ve stumbled across with hundreds and hundreds of unranked games beating up kyu players across the spectrum. I understand this is officially not considered sandbagging, but still a little weird

3 Likes

Basic: call moderator thing. They regulate , being offering you new consideration or taking appropriate decisions.

A setting to turn on “gamification” of the OGS experience

Celebratory animations and/or badges after 1, 5, 10 games - maybe especially nice for beginners.

advanced: use some sort of AI/neural network check out a player’s data and figure out automatically milestones to place on their path (to avoid the system to be too “easy” for some and too difficult for others)

e.g. a player only plays 10 games a month → a small award every 10th game
a player has 100 correspondence games going on at the same time → the same small award should be given only after 100 or 200 games
etc

7 Likes

I’m all for playing new players, and I’m not the worlds best by any means. But when it seems every provisional player wipes the floor with you, it can be discouraging.

3 Likes

What about option to not allow [?] players in unranked game that you create? Then they will play ranked more often and will get rank faster.
And then it finally will be possible to truly restrict rank with whatever you wish exactly.
Currently if you create game where you give 4 stones handicap for example, and restrict rank, [?] are always able to accept, but what if they are stronger than you? No one needs the start of such game.

4 Likes

The best way to find out what their rank is would rather be to play ranked and get a rank, no ?

2 Likes

Your edit makes my answer worthless :wink:

you can’t cancel game if there are 2 stones already on the board - OK
but, I think winner should be able to annul games like that:

winner should have “annul” button, which is possible to press after more moves than “cancel” button

1 Like

I guess the issue is that some users could use a button like that to sandbag :slight_smile:

1 Like

“resign” button after 3 moves can be used to sandbag because it decreases your rank
“annul” can’t, it makes it so as if game never existed, rank not changes.
That too short game not really started in Go sense. So I will not let my opponent to sandbag if I press “annul”.

2 Likes

…Add an option to customize the text so that it reads “Draw” or “Jigo” and I would definitely second that!

1 Like

That assumes that that by sandbagging I want my rank to go down, but suppose I’m happy with an X kyu account and I don’t want the rank to increase, then I could use the feature whenever I win to keep my rank the same :slight_smile:

I think resigning a won game raises (or should raise) eyebrows.

1 Like

What if the scoring phase could be entered into the “permanent record” of chat? I think if the game resumes, the SGF will just have “pass, pass, B, W, etc” But if changes to scoring and life and death status were recorded it would leave a mark in the game page (not SGF, although maybe via comments?) if there was nonsense going on like one player marking groups dead. Just a clicked board position x,y with player name and status (dead to live, etc) would work…

3 Likes

Cancel button has limit of number of moves so people don’t use it to escape from too hard openings and become airbagger.
Annul button will have limit to number of moves too. Too short games rarely happen and have no sense. There is nothing bad in any sense with annulling SO short games. Lost opponent shouldn’t have that button so they can’t have control over their own escaping. But why can’t I have control over such opponents in order to save my rank from becoming too high for no reason?

1 Like