2 Likes

You all gonna go hardcore for game 2?

6 Likes

No worries.

fractional_game1_27

I am curious how a ko fight might work :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Gotta be H6 eh @martin3141?

I am excited for playing ko, but technically I believe that we maybe don’t need to occupy H6 in order to falsify the J7 eye. As long as the red chain at J6 does not connect to a red chain on the outside, it will eventually be vulnerable to captured. So @Here_We_Go I believe it may be sufficient to connect with H5.

I see what you mean, J6 is quite lonely as a red stone. Let’s play H5 then.

2 Likes

I’m considering playing H6, but I’m not sure if it’s the best move yet.

I thought it would be alive, but it seems that not only the suicide rule has an effect, also the difference between situational and positional superko has an effect: if (Black | Red) plays J7, then (White | Red) cannot replace J6, because it repeats the position, even though the situation is different: (Black | Blue) has the turn, instead of (Black | Red). Thus, (White | Red) has to play elsewhere, and (Black | Blue) gets to fill J6 to kill.

However, this means the White team gets to play two moves elsewhere again, so together with C5 and we’d have died in sente with two extra moves. Strangely enough doesn’t it feel all that powerful yet

Of course, the two moves we get could be used to prevent (Black | Blue) from playing J6, for example by threatening to capture the F8 stones. In this way, if (Black | Blue) does not play J6, (White | Blue) gets to make a solid eye.

Of course, (Black | Red) does not have to play J7 immediately, and may play it only at the end of the game, when possibly there are no threats to be made…

It’s a complicated game for sure…

2 Likes

Yes, when we discussed suicide, I realised that the nuances of the different ko rules may also have a big impact. I wanted to fix the rules before we play on, so I decided on a whim to play with positional superko, just so we don’t need to discuss it later, especially at a time when we may be more biased :sweat_smile: I hope that was okay.

However for future games it is still very much up for debate which ko rule we want to play with :slightly_smiling_face:

I am not 100% sure if @Here_We_Go has decided on playing H5, but assuming so, here is the current board position:

fractional_game1_28

3 Likes

Can confirm H5.

2 Likes

So, my reasoning is if I don’t play H6, then surely the whole top right will belong to Black at some point, and I don’t see a way to come back from that with 6 points komi.

If I do play H6, it’s not likely that we will survive, but at least we have more of a fighting chance, so H6 it is.

4 Likes

I’m still not completely sure that the F8 stones are safe … Reading is so difficult in this variant :sweat_smile:

I’m considering playing E9 / E8 to fix that, or B7 / B8 if we believe that there is nothing to worry about.

I believe that the long-term life and death status of the white group in the upper-right is similar to bent four in the corner, because we can start a “ko fight” at the end of the game by playing (Black | Red) J7.

3 Likes

I agree, however, bent four is only alive without unremovable ko threats, and there seems to be a lot of these ko situations possible in this game. So it’s still uncertain.

3 Likes

I’ll try B7:

fractional_game1_29

2 Likes

Sorry for the huge delay. I don’t have any good ideas, but I was thinking about either H2, or maybe some sort of probing move in the upper-left?

1 Like

A bear walks into a bar, then says to the bartender “I’ll have… a beer”.

The bartender says “why the huge delay?”

Ok, I’ll go with H2

1 Like

I’m sorry for not being very active either. I think H2 is probably our best move, indeed…

2 Likes

I’m thinking D7 because it’s a good move for Blue, but Black probably wouldn’t care to play there.

1 Like

D7 looks like a good move to connect the blue chains, but could you perhaps wait a bit until I connect the red chains around E8 / C8?

B5 or J2 also look like interesting options in my opinion.

Here’s the updated board position:

fractional_game1_30

2 Likes