G0tstats is back! (with more stats)

A few suggestions. These are just my personal opinions. Please take them with a grain of salt :blush:. I’m really happy to see you adding more to your project. I’m a huge fan of your work. Thank you so much :smile:

• Triumphant victory should not include timeouts. It makes the stat lame, in my opinion.

• My biggest win, indicates a player who is ranked 42K. The actual player profile on OGS reads 25K.

• “Average game per opponent” stat isn’t really clear on what it represents. Perhaps you could reword it?

• Ranked + Unranked Games total is titled “Even Games”. That doesn’t seem to indicate “Grand total” or “All Games” at all. Even is definitely the wrong word to use here.

3 Likes

I have found this app useful for some considerable time. Thankyou.

What I would most like to see added is an indication of peoples timeouts in correspondence specifically.

Timing out of blitz or live is normal and usually indicative of an honest victory on the part of the winner but in correspondence, it is much more likely to indicate an incapacity to properly commit to correspondence games.

For that reason I and probably others would like to be able to see someones ‘Correspondence TO%’ before committing to months of gameplay.

No new chart required. Maybe just a modification like this:

5 Likes

OGS artificially limits the lowest rank to 25k to help with pairing games. 42k represents what their rank would truly be based on their glicko rating without the cap.

4 Likes

This are the correspondence stats I use to decide if I want to play a specific correspondence game of if I cancel it.
Untitled
It’s mainly time management stuff (are their clocks in other correspondence games low on time, average moves / day / game, number of timeout streaks)

I don’t get much of the Win/Loss pi charts.

3 Likes

Where did you get all this?? That’s a really cool chart flovo!

1 Like

I’ve written a python script to extract some interesting stuff from OGS API requests.

2 Likes

Legend! Looks sick :slight_smile: wish I had this back in the day when I played corr :heart:

Yeah, it’s happen when the text gets too long to display on 1 line. It’s kind of a limitation of the chart library and I’m still trying to figure out a way to “beautify” it >_<

I understand how it doesn’t feel exactly “triumphant”. Technically, the line is “strongest defeated opponent”.
I want to make it more interesting, but there are many cases where it turns out to be “not that interesting”. Timeout is one example, there’s also the case from my old account where it’s an instant win by resign. Maybe a filter of duration and winning condition would be good? I will need to test it a bit.

The “biggest win” turns out to be not interesting for a large number of player as well, because most of us have at least once played against Bot, and end up with like 360 points win. On the other hand, there are “interesting” game like one user I tested, whose “biggest win” is a game where both players were just messing around drawing a smiley face. I think that game is “interesting” despite not being a valid game. So this one could be a hit-or-miss as well.

Wow! That’s an awesome actually. Time to start stealing hehe :smile:

Thank you very much!

• Please check my quote from @teapoweredrobot above :slight_smile:
  • This one is exactly like @BHydden said.
  • Can you elaborate how unclear it is? How should I rework it?
  • Even games are “no handicap” games. Ranked + Unranked = Total Game which is the first chart :wink:

This is what I mean about “merging” charts. I was looking for a guild in World of Warcraft earlier and it just hit me that instead of a lot of charts. I could just use one single chart template with a lot of filtering options: type of game, time settings, ruleset, etc, and then the user can just filter the way they want :smiley:

Also because of (the lack of) work, I’ve switched to playing correspondence recently. I also noticed that correspondence players should have different needs from other player. If you have ideas do tell me. (For example @flovo 's table looks really cool)

3 Likes

:pleading_face: It is beautiful :sob::heart::rainbow:

2 Likes

LOL, how could one ever forget that awesome gift you gave us :slight_smile: Nice to see you again, and thanks for improving g0tStats even more!

4 Likes

Thanks for the stats, they are lovely!

Some slight criticism: There are a lot of charts with similar information. After a while, the sheer quantity of information defeats the purpose of having “statistics”, i.e. a summary of interesting data points.

I’ll illustrate this with my thought experience scrolling down the page:

1. So these are my stats, neat :slight_smile:
  2. Oh, now just ranked games? This is more accurate, so yay for my stats. *yay*
  3. Unranked? This is just extra, it means nothing to me.
  4. Wait, there’s more?
  5. Because it’s now just even games. Didn’t think of that. Yes, this is what counts for me.
  6. Tournaments is where it’s at! 19x19 too.

Basically, every time I scroll down to a new Win/Loss, I learn that the previous one was not as meaningful to me. In the end, half the information was just filler.
My suggestion is that you could show just one set of charts. Then introduce a list of attributes (time category, board size etc.), and for each of them the option: include/exclude (e.g. only 19x19) and compare, which would generate multiple charts for the different caterogies.

4 Likes

So this is what I’m thinking about. Would it help? :smile:

Is it too… non-verbal? (what word do I use to describe this, the lack of text?)
Should I add descriptions for each checkbox group? I tried adding them it but they look silly. Like “Ranked? Ranked, Unranked”.

8 Likes

I think the checkboxes are fairly self explanitory.

3 Likes

Wow, you are on that implementation quickly! Please give me some of that drive and motivation ^^

I like non-verbal. You’re dealing with an attention span of 280 characters nowadays :wink:

Maybe it could be a sidebar-style menu with separators? I should add that I have no clue about web design. :>

All in all, it looks great :+1:

2 Likes

I agree with BHydden that it’s fairly self explanatory. Anyone looking at the site should already be familiar with those terms.

Will there still be something like this under the primary chart?

If so, that would allow me to select ‘correspondence’ and see what I wish to see.

1 Like

Yes it will be there, and also the performance across board size/time settings parts. Those 2 will be hidden when you select only 1 board size or 1 time settings :smiley:

Oh and about

You can just open 2 tabs xD

2 Likes

Looking forward to it. :yum:
I’ll stop jumping up and down and sit quietly now. :innocent:

Please ask OGS for a banner and maybe a link on Other Go Resources when it’s ‘all systems Go’.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ll be sure to put a banner up once he’s happy with it and it has the new link he mentioned. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Aaaaand it’s up! Filter away! :smile:

7 Likes

Quoted for URL

3 Likes