Every day I hear “game started” when there isn’t a game that just started. Please fix this bug.
(I usually have multiple OGS tabs on)
First of all, thank you for the bug report and welcome to the forum
Now, I’m not involved in OGS development but I do work on other software; hence, I know that fixing bugs is much easier with a bit more detail. Therefore, a couple of questions:
Under what circumstances does this bug occur / not occur? Is it when you first turn on your computer / open your browser, or is it every time you navigate to OGS, etc? Can you provide steps to reliably reproduce the problem?
Have you noticed this problem on multiple different browsers / devices or just one setup? Either way, on which browser(s) / device(s) have you observed the issue? Firefox / chrome? Pc / mobile? Etc…
This is on Windows 10 with Firefox. It happens randomly throughout the day when I’m on other tabs, so I can’t much help to reproduce it.
Ah, ok. Sounds like a tricky one. Thanks for the info anyway. Good luck OGS Devs!
In terms of things that could happen randomly throughout the day:
- tab refreshing (maybe it’s a specific page?)
- game move notification is changing - as in it’s your move in another/a correspondence game, either when in a game page or just on some other page.
- friends coming on and offline.
- notifications for chat/friends/groups/challenges etc.
I don’t know if it’s really any of those things, but one could imagine something silly like the game notification sound being played instead of the stone placement sound etc.
It could be things to watch out for.
Here’s another idea to try:
- Go to settings>sound preferences
- toggle off “Voice” under Game Started. There’s two toggles, the one on the right, it should change to effect.
- Press the play sound, and it should play like something like a book sound, almost.
- See if that sound is now playing randomly during the day.
- Toggle the sound off entirely, and see if it still plays randomly during the day.
I don’t know how to fix it of course, but I imagine this could be useful debugging info.
Some other relevant reports:
It’s not any of those. Thanks, though.
I get this Game Started randomly too. It’s very disconcerting / distracting. The bug is that any time I have OGS open in a tab, Game Started occurs randomly. It may be limited to when I have the page showing current games. It can be very startling.
If you give your OS and browser version, could help the dev.
OS is Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3.
Browser is Chrome Version 90.0.4430.212 (Official Build) (x86_64)
But I doubt this will matter.