Go Achievements

I think it might be entertaining to come up with achievements for go and give them fancy names. Some examples to illustrate what I mean:

• Win a game with only one living group against at least two living groups. (Name: Connected)
  • Win a game with six living groups. (Name: Creator of Life)
  • End a game by triple ko. (Name?)

Do you have something in mind that should be considered an achievement? How should it be called?

11 Likes

Win a game by opponents resignation while the AI tells you you were 20 points behind. Name: ‘How else would I win?’

9 Likes

Win a game by half a point because of winning the last one point ko with a fake ko-threat. Name: Bluff-Master

(I did that once!)

9 Likes

Win a game with no corners in your possession.

10 Likes

Name: Center-centered?

7 Likes

Lose a game with no dead stones.

Name: Gote diplomacy.

6 Likes

Win a game: “Did you lose 100 times first?”
Lose a game: “99 more of them to go”
Lose a hundred games: “Maybe consider 100 more?”
Win a hundred games: “Time to finally check how ranking works”
Lose a hundred games against lower ranked opponents: “Please locate the review button”
Win a hundred games against higher ranked opponents: “OGS ranks do not work properly anyway”
Lose a hundred games against higher ranked opponents: “Shoot for the stars, hit the air, learn to aim better”

Lose a life and death fight: “No tsumego, no party”
Win a life and death fight: “Sometime you succeed, sometimes they die”
Lose 100 life and death fights: “The only tsumego I like is in real games”
Win 100 life and death fights: “Hard work pays out”

6 Likes

Serial killer: the opponent has no living stone.

Survivor: win a game despite being the first player who got 30+ stones killed.

Zen player: win a game without killing any stone.

361+ League player: play a game with more than 361 moves.

Barely alive: play a game with at least 2 groups in seki.

Triangulator: win a game while playing at least three empty triangles.

US Airforce Pilot: win a game in which you made at least five B2-Bombers.

Blind defeats one-eyed: win a capturing race in which your group has no eye and the opponent’s group has one eye.

11 Likes
  • Win a game because of winning the last ko, under Chinese-like rules, while not letting the opponent get more than half the dame. That is, allow your opponent to play the dame as ko threats, and still win the ko.
  • Kill a group in a bent-four shape.
  • Kill or save a group using play-under-the-stones.
  • Fight a superko (a triple-ko under western rules, so it does not annul the game).
  • Win or lose a game because of the ruleset (that is, the winner would change if we switched from Japanese to Chinese or vice-versa).
  • Play out a losing ladder, but still win the game (I once won a tournament like that! I wasn’t being Lee Sedol-clever, I just really misread the ladder).
  • Win a game after some number of moves of mirror play.
  • One achievement per type of seki: seki with two common liberties; seki with one eye each plus one common liberty; seki where one player has two groups with one eye each, and the opponent has a group with two common liberties; seki with one eye each, plus a double ko (if another ko happens in the game, it either means one player has unlimited ko threats, or it’s a triple-ko, depending on the situation).
  • Specific to OGS: program a sequence of at least 20 moves in the autoplay, that gets played by the opponent.
8 Likes

I had this happen once, where I programmed in the conditional moves to play out a ladder that crossed the entire board, and my opponent actually played it out, since they had mistakenly thought it was a broken ladder.

9 Likes

I think I’ve never had 5 B2-bombers in the same game… But I’ve also never not had three empty triangles in the same game, except maybe games where one player resigned very early.

3 Likes

it would be really hard to program detector of many of the Achievements above

3 Likes

Agreed, but I wouldn’t want to limit the ideas to somewhat easily implementable ones.
Having them detected by humans might still be fun.

4 Likes

How about

• Power Triangle: Play an empty triangle, that is at least five points better than any other move.
3 Likes

I kind of assumed that people were just having fun making these up and naming them, rather than proposing that they actually be implemented.

Shusaku badge: play a move that causes your opponent’s ears to redden.

4 Likes

Seriously speaking, that would be a really great idea. And seems there is already a lot of suggestions!

2 Likes

I didn’t take it seriously either. However, if it were implemented, it would be easy enough to self-report, and a mod could verify the achievement by inspecting the game. A list of approved categories could be published.

1 Like

Note that could bring motivation, even more users maybe as this would be a new feature for go servers.

1 Like

A little off-topic, but:
Interesting to look at the loss for each white play in the ladder: roughly 10, 8, 6, 6, 6, … 6, 3·5, 5·9, 1·6, 7·7, 1·1, resignation. I thought I had heard a higher estimate than 6 (¿about 10 or 15?), but I see nothing about it at Ladder at Sensei's Library.

1 Like

Twenty years ago, I have been taught “You lose 7 points per move in a losing ladder”. But I have no idea where this estimation comes from.