Go Battle Royale: Multi-Color Capture Go

That was quite fun! I think there are some things that make capture-go sligthly more well-behaved than regular go in the multiplayer format (like teaming up on one player just to capture a single stone often leaves your own stone vulnerable).

I also really enjoy the unusal shapes that come up in the endgame thanks to the stones left on the board.

I would definitely like to play more, although I don’t think I would enjoy it as much in a correspondence format. I’m wondering if dipgo.net would work well if we want to try more than 4 players live? (I haven’t really used that page before)

(but also I think 4 players works pretty well, so I’m happy to just play more of the same format)

We were both doomed to go out first I think, so it was probably the correct play to secure 3rd place for yourself :smiley:

6 Likes

Would it be difficult to implement this on Ogs now that we already have multiplayer support with Rengo?

1 Like

I think @GreenAsJade mentioned somewhere that extending beyond the “black vs white” constructs of the code would be much more work.

2 Likes

Yes, more than two colors on OGS is probably not going to happen anytime soon. But maybe we could get more colors added on VGS? (going from 4 to 9 is surely a lot easier than from 2 to 4 at least :stuck_out_tongue:)

(I’ve put the question in the VGS discord)

5 Likes

Good game :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d like to play too.

whisper I could also imagine this working well with multi-coloured stones :wink:

3 Likes

I was reminded of this variant I tried a little bit a year ago:
https://forums.online-go.com/t/2-player-3-color-go/34196

2 Likes

Anyone up for another game right away?

• I can play right now
  • I’d like to play but not right now, some other day perhaps

0 voters

I’m pretty sure if we were to play again, we would play much more loose than we did in the beginning and the shapes would end up even more unusual :slight_smile:

Is someone setting up a match?

1 Like

https://go.kahv.io/#4235

3 Likes

This endgame is extremely confusing!

3 Likes

Thank you all! The first and last halfs of the game are really quite different :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the second game! Sorry, @Civilian, but at that point, I think the best that I could play for was 3rd place, or at least try to punish you with 3rd for initiating the cut.

1 Like

Thanks!
@le_4TC I’m not clear why you didn’t capture all the non-red stones at the end to get the top territory, what did I miss?

@yebellz No worries, I totally get that! I would have gone for revenge aswell :wink:

1 Like

@_Sofiam, you’re not supposed to pass. @le_4TC was bidding his time to avoid opening up dame, forcing you to fill your eye space first.

I didn’t know I couldn’t pass, sorry. I didn’t know I couldn’t pass, sorry. At move 112 I could no longer play any stone that would not be captured. @le_4TC is the winner :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was going too capture them if the game had continued! I actually thought you resigned in the end, that’s why I passed and “scored” the game even though the game result should only be determined by resignations.

Like @yebellz said, passing is not allowed, so all that space is basically my territory. But once I capture the stones we will share some of the space underneath them. So there’s no rush for me to capture, I can take the time to strenghten up my inside just in case it can help me to squeeze some extra points out of the “shared” points :slight_smile:

So here:

(I’m white, Sofiam is red, other colors are eliminated)

The black stones in the center will get captured eventually, but since red can’t capture it’s up to white to decide when it will happen. So white could first play F10, F8, E7, F7 before finally playing F5. It’s unclear if it’s really going to make a difference, but it’s definitely not going to hurt, so might as well do it. In some similar cases it might help me make an extra move or two underneath the captured stones (and getting to make moves is the goal of the game - the one that first is forced to fill in one of their crucial eyes loses, so we both prefer to play dame before we play inside our own territory, for instance).

2 Likes

I’m sorry, as I said, I didn’t understand that and it’s not clear (to me) in the rules. I thought it was counted at the end. I didn’t want to cheat. But I guess an unranked game on a server that doesn’t record games by account doesn’t matter to anyone

3 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s just a test game. I’m sorry that I didn’t make the rules clear.

3 Likes