Go Battle Royale: Multi-Color Capture Go

Thanks for the second game! Sorry, @Civilian, but at that point, I think the best that I could play for was 3rd place, or at least try to punish you with 3rd for initiating the cut.

1 Like

Thanks!
@le_4TC I’m not clear why you didn’t capture all the non-red stones at the end to get the top territory, what did I miss?

@yebellz No worries, I totally get that! I would have gone for revenge aswell :wink:

1 Like

@_Sofiam, you’re not supposed to pass. @le_4TC was bidding his time to avoid opening up dame, forcing you to fill your eye space first.

I didn’t know I couldn’t pass, sorry. I didn’t know I couldn’t pass, sorry. At move 112 I could no longer play any stone that would not be captured. @le_4TC is the winner :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was going too capture them if the game had continued! I actually thought you resigned in the end, that’s why I passed and “scored” the game even though the game result should only be determined by resignations.

Like @yebellz said, passing is not allowed, so all that space is basically my territory. But once I capture the stones we will share some of the space underneath them. So there’s no rush for me to capture, I can take the time to strenghten up my inside just in case it can help me to squeeze some extra points out of the “shared” points :slight_smile:

So here:

(I’m white, Sofiam is red, other colors are eliminated)

The black stones in the center will get captured eventually, but since red can’t capture it’s up to white to decide when it will happen. So white could first play F10, F8, E7, F7 before finally playing F5. It’s unclear if it’s really going to make a difference, but it’s definitely not going to hurt, so might as well do it. In some similar cases it might help me make an extra move or two underneath the captured stones (and getting to make moves is the goal of the game - the one that first is forced to fill in one of their crucial eyes loses, so we both prefer to play dame before we play inside our own territory, for instance).

2 Likes

I’m sorry, as I said, I didn’t understand that and it’s not clear (to me) in the rules. I thought it was counted at the end. I didn’t want to cheat. But I guess an unranked game on a server that doesn’t record games by account doesn’t matter to anyone

3 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s just a test game. I’m sorry that I didn’t make the rules clear.

3 Likes

It’s really no problem, you didn’t cheat, I just wanted to elaborate on the rules for future reference :smiley:

(I’m a big fan of these types of really simple rules which don’t require any definition of territory, I think it’s so beautiful that territory comes up “by itself” :blush:)

5 Likes

If passing was allowed in capture go, then passing the whole game would be a boring but effective strategy.

4 Likes

So, anyone up for trying a correspondence version on these forums. I’m hoping for at least 5 players.

Pick a color to sign up

(if you find it already taken, or vote by mistake, you can click on “Show Vote” to change your selection)

• white
  • yellow
  • orange
  • red
  • pink
  • blue
  • cerulean
  • green
  • Not playing

0 voters

How about 48 hours per turn, with an extra 24 hours added if the deadline is missed? After 72 hours, the player is removed as resigned.

I think that we could try something between 9x9 and 13x13 for an extra crowded and chaotic game.

4 Likes

Whoops, I just realized that I forgot to include black, which is also an option. I don’t want to mess up and clear the votes of the previous poll, so please use this one, if want black (and please don’t select a color in both polls).

• I want black
  • null vote

0 voters

1 Like

But the stakes will be higher on a larger board…

2 Likes

Since there will be no money on the line, I guess you mean that a larger board would take more time, and hence increase the psychological stakes?

I’m open for other board sizes. Let’s do a poll!

Which board sizes do you prefer?

• 9x9
  • 11x11
  • 13x13
  • 15x15
  • 17x17
  • 19x19
  • 21x21
0 voters
1 Like

Wow, 7 players have signed up so far! This should be quite fun! Only two spots left (White and Black)!

It seems the 15x15 has almost universal support, except @Civilian seems to prefer 11x11 or 13x13. @Civilian, are you okay with 15x15 instead?

3 Likes

haha yes ofcourse! I just didn’t expect so many people to be excited for it and with 3-4 players I thought it’s big enough :slight_smile: (but even then I wouldn’t have minded any other board size)
I’m so looking forward to a 7 player ffa match! :partying_face:

4 Likes

Ok, let’s get things started with 7 players on 15x15!

1. red @Vsotvep
  2. orange @shinuito
  3. yellow @martin3141
  4. green @Civilian
  5. cerulean @yebellz
  6. blue @Samraku
  7. pink @Auri

Let’s roll to set the turn order

@discobot roll 20d7

3 Likes

:game_die: 2, 5, 5, 7, 7, 2, 4, 7, 1, 6, 4, 7, 1, 1, 5, 6, 2, 5, 5, 7

1 Like

Ok, that means the playing order will be this

1. orange @shinuito
  2. cerulean @yebellz
  3. pink @Auri
  4. green @Civilian
  5. red @Vsotvep
  6. blue @Samraku
  7. yellow @martin3141

Get ready and prepare your best Fortnite dances!

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, how did you map 20d7 to a permutation?

Thank you for organising this yebellz! :slight_smile:

2 Likes