Go Jokes šŸ˜†

From reddit:

Inspired by this picture:

18 Likes

A like for the original picture, more so than the hacked up gif!

Thatā€™s a truly great picture - my non-Go-playing wife loved it.

4 Likes

thereā€™s nothing quite like small girls death staring grown men into complete submission

5 Likes

Is this ā€œGo Jokesā€ or ā€œGo Humorā€? Iā€™m confused.

1 Like

Is this

• Go jokes
  • Go humor

0 voters

There, fixed it.

9 Likes

Right, mine was humor, not a joke.

Okay, hereā€™s one:
Why wasnā€™t my post appropriate here?

It wasnā€™t a joke-seki

From now on I will keep humor out of my go jokes.

11 Likes

Iā€™m in Europe, for me itā€™s Go Humour. So, sadly I canā€™t vote :unamused:

:stuck_out_tongue:

<edit> But I decided that, since this thread was named ā€œGo Jokesā€, I should vote after all :grin: </edit>

8 Likes

Iā€™m in anywhere other than America, for me itā€™s Go Humourā€¦

FIFY

6 Likes

I think itā€™s Go Jokes, but general Go humour belongs here, because we donā€™t need yet another thread :smiley:

6 Likes

Well the pedant in me would love to see us go down the path of debating over ever finer distinctions:

• Go jokes
  • Go one-liners
  • Go anti-jokes
  • Go humour
  • Go puns
  • Go pranks
  • Go memes
  • Go polls
  • Go silly
  • Go satire
  • Go irony
  • Go nonsense
  • Go tomfoolery
  • Go comics
  • Go sarcasm
  • Go comedy
  • Go oxymorons
  • Go innuendo
  • Go slapstick
  • Go funny stuff
  • Go misdirection
  • Go dark humour
  • Go knock knock jokes
  • Go lightbulb jokes
  • Go mama jokes
  • Go ridiculous pendantry
  • Go meta humour

Arguing about the hierarchy, nesting, and overlap between these categories would be part of the fun!

13 Likes

You forgot ā€œGo pr0nedyā€.

Discourse does allows for quite deep nesting IIRC. Top hierarchy could be ā€œfunnyā€?

4 Likes

I donā€™t know, maybe humour should be the top category. Not sure how to determine the overlap with funny.

so it begins ā€¦
6 Likes
7 Likes

I canā€™t believe you of all people forgot

• Go comedic polls
6 Likes

@trohde, @BHydden

I just fixed an existing post according to community guidelines, but left the text intact.

Personally, I also prefer humour, in other words I might use American spelling. I was officially taught British English but the good thing of it not being your official language is you can mix and match all you want. :blush:

3 Likes

One thing about American English is that it encourages you to mix and match whatever you want. One of itā€™s unwritten rules is that a sentence is elevated higher directly in proportion to how unique it is.

With ā€œuniqueā€ representing how broken, slang ridden, or nonsensical you can make it using innuendo, misdirection, homonyms, homophones, homographs, oxymorons, abbreviations, acronyms, or any other manner of clever tomfoolery to say what you mean without stating it clear and concisely.

It is practically an art form that all people dabble in, knowingly or unknowingly. A daily exerted extension of our own individuality.

6 Likes

I canā€™t help but love how 5 of these words are Greek. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

I like how these words that sound ā€˜educatedā€™ to us are perfectly understandable to you greeks. ā€œYo, Iā€™m gonna drive my self-mover to the table and get money to pay my hand-worker for my nose-formingā€.

4 Likes

I donā€™t remember if Iā€™ve mentioned this before, my sister studied French (she has an university degree in French) before she got her Certificate of Proficiency in English. She said that in the CPE exams multiple choice vocabulary test, the ā€œFrenchā€ (spelling, word stem, etymology etc) words were usually the correct answer- and she also knew most of them. She also studied Latin in high school and is Greek, so multiple choice vocabulary was by far the easiest part.

P.S. Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve studied the few Latin that I know, I was helping her study and stuff stuck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To clarify what a ā€œGo mamaā€ joke is, here is an example:

Go mama so tenuki, when sheā€™d better honte!

*snaps fingers while moving hand in zig zag

9 Likes