Go Memes! 🧐

Isn’t it 5.5?

et. al.

2 Likes

15 Likes

My point earlier was that less experienced players playing as black will not be able to fully capitalize on the first-play advantage like a very experienced player can. Should two 20kyus use the same komi as two 3-dans? Is the purpose of komi to “level the playing field” for theoretical perfect play, or “level the playing field” for real-world play?

8 Likes

This point has been discussed extensively in one of the threads about komi. Koba (IIRC) and I have both talked about it

1 Like

I’m not sure what the proper thread for discussing the topic would be.

Thoughts Regarding Komi Tie-Breaker has been locked, and wouldn’t really be the right place anyway.

What is the "Strong bot based fair komi" for 19x19 using Japanese-like (for example, KataGo) rules is specifically about estimating komi with bots.

New way of deciding Komi is about komi bidding (which isn’t that new).

Thue-Morse (Fair Sharing) Sequence: A possible alternative to komi? is only tangential, as is the Nonstandard board size komi discussion.

There’s also Why Japanese Rules and Chinese Rules use different Komi Number? (6,5 and 7,5) but the stated topic of the thread has nothing to do with rank.

Perhaps the most relevant (or permissive) are Komi and the total number of moves to equalize and Measuring the Perfection Gap: a case for Integer Komi.

Personally, I haven’t seen an intuitive argument for why the “practical value” of the first move should either increase or decrease with the strength of the players, or indeed why it shouldn’t.

The value of moves is objective, so what’s really being studied is how the players interact with them.

4 Likes

For instance, suppose White’s lawyer argues that in a DDK game, komi should be greater.

He says that Black will probably open with 4-4 and that White will likely invade and play the weak midgame hane (10), and that therefore Black’s first move is worth more than allowed for.

Black’s lawyer, though, could reasonably respond that Black might not play (5) but a poorer move, eg.

and that the chance of this possiblity occurring means that Black’s first move isn’t worth much at all.

Without statistical polling, there’s no coming to an answer.

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been attracted to komi bidding, free–opening (delayed komi) Go, and even Thue-Morse; so the issue of exact or otherwise “fair” komi on an empty board has become less interesting to me.

2 Likes

17 Likes

17 Likes

Science-fiction-Roger-Dean-1970-9

18 Likes

6 Likes

Let's estimate

How many goban can fit in her belly?

2 Likes

The Illusion of Choice.

14 Likes

14 Likes