Go Memes! šŸ§

Why not?

another reference

Random Gaps + Pie Rule - #187 by yebellz

2 Likes

I have no idea whatā€™s going on in that other thread :stuck_out_tongue: , but our map is like this

I know there are much worse cases than this on the map, where every separate goban part would be a ponnuki, at most :-P.

(maybe not island nation, anyway if the term is wrong thatā€™s what I meant :woman_shrugging: )

2 Likes

I would ā€œlikeā€ your post if I could, but it seems like I ran out of daily ā€œlikesā€ due to the publication of the detective go kibitz thread :confused:

3 Likes

Feel free to substitute with your own preferred ranks/rank ranges!

5av9dd

5ava7n

5ava52

19 Likes

Can you make a go board out of this?

5avd46

6 Likes

No, I posted it as an example that wouldnā€™t work.

1 Like

9 Likes

5avsfn

1 Like

3 Likes

Isnā€™t it 5.5?

et. al.

3 Likes

15 Likes

My point earlier was that less experienced players playing as black will not be able to fully capitalize on the first-play advantage like a very experienced player can. Should two 20kyus use the same komi as two 3-dans? Is the purpose of komi to ā€œlevel the playing fieldā€ for theoretical perfect play, or ā€œlevel the playing fieldā€ for real-world play?

8 Likes

This point has been discussed extensively in one of the threads about komi. Koba (IIRC) and I have both talked about it

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what the proper thread for discussing the topic would be.

Thoughts Regarding Komi Tie-Breaker has been locked, and wouldnā€™t really be the right place anyway.

What is the "Strong bot based fair komi" for 19x19 using Japanese-like (for example, KataGo) rules is specifically about estimating komi with bots.

New way of deciding Komi is about komi bidding (which isnā€™t that new).

Thue-Morse (Fair Sharing) Sequence: A possible alternative to komi? is only tangential, as is the Nonstandard board size komi discussion.

Thereā€™s also Why Japanese Rules and Chinese Rules use different Komi Number? (6,5 and 7,5) but the stated topic of the thread has nothing to do with rank.

Perhaps the most relevant (or permissive) are Komi and the total number of moves to equalize and Measuring the Perfection Gap: a case for Integer Komi.

Personally, I havenā€™t seen an intuitive argument for why the ā€œpractical valueā€ of the first move should either increase or decrease with the strength of the players, or indeed why it shouldnā€™t.

The value of moves is objective, so whatā€™s really being studied is how the players interact with them.

4 Likes

For instance, suppose Whiteā€™s lawyer argues that in a DDK game, komi should be greater.

He says that Black will probably open with 4-4 and that White will likely invade and play the weak midgame hane (10), and that therefore Blackā€™s first move is worth more than allowed for.

Blackā€™s lawyer, though, could reasonably respond that Black might not play (5) but a poorer move, eg.

and that the chance of this possiblity occurring means that Blackā€™s first move isnā€™t worth much at all.

Without statistical polling, thereā€™s no coming to an answer.

2 Likes

Lately Iā€™ve been attracted to komi bidding, freeā€“opening (delayed komi) Go, and even Thue-Morse; so the issue of exact or otherwise ā€œfairā€ komi on an empty board has become less interesting to me.

2 Likes

17 Likes

17 Likes