Go ranks vs chess ratings

Is there a correlation? Even a reverse correlation?

Shall we find out?

If you have both a Go and chess rating, and you’ve played at least a hundred games of each, feel free to post them; with enough data we can make a scatter graph.

For best results, give whatever you have of

1. your IRL Go rank
  2. your OGS rank
  3. your IRL chess rating
  4. your Lichess (rapid or blitz) rating
  5. your Chess .com rating

and also

1. roughly how many games of Go you’ve played (two significant figures)

2. roughly how many of chess (again, two significant figures)

3. when you started Go

4. when you started chess

5. which one you think you’re stronger at

Ratings to the nearest hundred, please. You can check 6) with Got Stats?

Take a pitchfork as you come in: ΨΨΨΨΨΨΨΨΨ

I’m 5k EGF, 3k OGS, 1600 Lichess.

I started Go in January 2016 and chess in March 2017. I’ve played about 2,400 games of Go and 4,400 of chess.

I think I’m stronger at Go.

7 Likes

I’m 3d EGF, 3d OGS, 1100 Lichess.

I started go in 1988 and chess in ~1975. I’ve played about 8,000 games of go and about 100 games of chess.

I’m sure I’m stronger at go.

9 Likes

I’m 2kyu ogs, 2dan fox, 1100 chess.com

Started go about 4 months ago ~2500 games (mostly fast 9x9)
Played chess for roughly 1-2 years (>4000 [fast] games)

It’s not even close, Go feels so much easier to me, while I never got an even halfway decent understanding of chess :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Never played chess seriously. Tried a few blitz games (3+0) on lichess and got to 765. I couldn’t see obvious things, in many games I resigned very early (my profile).
1k EGF, my rank on ogs varies a lot (2d-9k?)
I played 30k+ go games, maybe 30 or 40 chess games considering the 12 I played today.
I started to play go in 2013, I don’t remember when I learned chess rules but I was a kid.
I am sure I’m stronger at go too.

5 Likes

I’m 2d OGS, 3d KGS, 2000 chess.com, 2100 lichess
About 1800 irl chess(OSCF)
Started chess in 2011 and go around 2010, played on and off since then
Played about 2000 blitz/bullet chess games and a couple tournaments
Played maybe 500 games of go, half online and half irl
Probably better at chess. That could change though since I’ve played more go recently

4 Likes

Definitely better at Go (I mean we are in the OGS forums arent we haha)

7k OGS (probably closer to 5k if I play live), somewhere around 1000 lichess. Haven’t played enough there to get a solid rating.

My guess is that skill is correlated, but it doesn’t carry over directly. Something like “if someone is good at go AND they study chess seriously THEN they will be good at chess”. I’m okay at Go, and I DON’T study chess seriously, so I’m still bad at chess haha.

3 Likes

I’m not at 100 chess games, but I think my rating is accurate enough. 7k/1500 OGS, 1300 rapid Lichess. 940 go games, 37 chess games. Played both as a kid decades ago but got more serious in the last 18 months, including watching my kids do a bunch of chesskid lessons.

Definitely way stronger at go, probably my go self could beat my chess self by 6 stones.

Now who’s going to start the “OGS Forum Users” team on Lichess so we can meet up over there too?? :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m 5d OGS, 7d Fox, 1713? lichess rapid (only 29 rapid games there so far so there is still this question mark)

Don’t know if I’ve played 10000 Go games, but much much more than 1000 for sure. I’ve played 35 lichess games so far and the number of offline chess games is probably less than 10. I learned Go and chess almost at the same time, around 5 years old. I’m definitely better at Go.

2 Likes

8 kyu AGA (official, old, probably closer to 5 kyu, I’d guess)
4 kyu OGS
1516 Lichess at chess960 Aumpa - Chess960 stats • lichess.org

It’s hard to estimate how many games I’ve played. Chess could be more, but only because blitz chess is faster.

I learned chess as a child and played through my teens and into my 20s. Collected and studied a few chess books. I didn’t start playing go until my early 30s. I’ve continued to play both, but have spent a lot more time studying go. Now I’m in my 40s. I’m at about mean average strength on both OGS and Lichess, I think.

I’m aspiring to be stronger in go, solve tsumego, read books. With chess I enjoy variants, blitz, and do chess puzzles.

I think that I’ve put more time into studying go, but because I started chess younger, my skills are about similar.

1 Like

This topic make me really think that we miss a kind of biathlon chess/go tournament

( i am out for chess, never played online. I don’t think to be better as 18k)

1 Like

I’m 5k EGF, 3k OGS, 1600 Lichess.
I started Go in January 2016 and chess in March 2017. I’ve played about 2,400 games of Go and 4,400 of chess.

It seems you and I are evenly matched in both go and chess, but I think you’re playing a lot more than I am. I would say that we’d make good rivals, but I think you’re improving a lot more rapidly, so you’ll probably surpass me in both over the next few years.

1 Like

A very rough analysis could be: on the Go forum, players are better at go than chess. :grin:
I believe on the “chess forum” (whatever) we should see the same but reversed. :innocent:

3 Likes

I think the interesting question is not which game someone is stronger at, but whether there’s any correspondence between relative chess skill and relative go skill. E.g., are players who are strong at chess also strong at go? does the strategic thinking of one lend some skill transfer to the other?

I think @bugcat’s poll above was prompted by discussion in this thread: When a Go player tries Chess

To summarize,
@Clossius1 posted a gif of himself making a blunder in chess, to which @Allerleirauh replied,

…with the implication that the strategic thinking gained from becoming a strong dan in go will make learning chess easy. bugcat said that he’d played thousands of games of chess, but was still a long ways from reaching 2000. Allerleirauh replied that that was because he wasn’t as strong as Clossius.

Is there any basis in the assertion that being a strong dan in go will help someone to easily reach a rating of 2000 in chess?

3 Likes

I can’t say for “real strong” but i am pretty sure you are going to skip a lot in the first stages. From chess to go and go to chess. Simply because being used to think, search for contradiction, use the pieces (stones) together, read, and so on.

Oh yeah, it’s helped me a lot. When I start learning a new game, I ask myself, "now which part of the board is the most important? corner, sides, or center? :sweat_smile: :rofl:

3 Likes

As soon as they grasp some basics, chess players i teached became really interesting to play because i wasn’t that strong (sdk) and they had a so fierce energy in finding moves to refute my plans, mostly by local reading.

2k real life

EGF or AGA?

:thinking: :open_mouth:

Off the cuff, I might have a format like this:

A Match between two players consists of the following:

1. A game of chess, 1 pt for win, ½ pt for draw.
  2. A game of go, 2 pts for win.
  3. A game of chess with reversed colors from the first, 1 pt for win, ½ pt for draw.

However, I don’t know how matchups would be determined. If there are only a small number of players, it could be a round-robin format.

Here’s the hard data so far.

Player Go IRL OGS ch. IRL Lich. Ch .com Go st ch. st Go gm chess gm
terrific None 5d None 1700? None 7,000? 40
gennan 3d EGF 3d None 1100 None 1988 1975 8,000 100
mc2006 None 2d 1800 OSCF 2100 2000 2010 2011 500 2,000
Allerleirauh None 2d None 1900 Cl.
Sofia 1k EGF var. None 800 None 2013 40
civilian None 2k None None 1100 2021 2020 2,500 4,000
bugcat 5k EGF 3k None 1600 None 2016 2017 2,400 4,400
Aumpa 8k AGA 4k None 1500
benjito None 7k None 1000 None
Feijoa None 7k None 1300 None 940 37

I notice that so far, the only person (mc2006) who 1) has a dan rank and 2) declared at least 1,000 chess games is indeed over 2000 Elo (Lichess, Chess .com).

Though Allerleirauh didn’t say how many chess games he’d played.

So, the minimal “@Allerleirauh hypothesis” (if I’m not putting words in his mouth) that “a dan player with enough (eg. 1,000) games of chess will eventually reach 2000” seems to be supported by the data gathered thus far.

But the information is still very spotty.

1 Like