Go videos

If anyone doesn’t want to watch 50 mins of someone reacting to a 30 minute video:

• For the first 10 minutes, dwyrin is just reacting for the sake of reacting. “Stones don’t have to be black and white”, “you could use rules other than area scoring”, “why didn’t we talk about eyes yet” - (well because eyes aren’t part of the rules - they emerge from the rules…), capturing individual stones isn’t the primary goal of the game - reacts by saying “you do you” and “I capture stones and win…” , from the person who has many videos calling Go the Surrounding Game and about making territory and so on… :slight_smile:

• 8:56 ish he talks about this position, “the game can’t end now”, but of course it can. Two people pass, you agree what’s alive and dead and you score it. We could play a game like this right now on OGS and agree to score it as in the video. I mean you probably shouldn’t want to agree to score it, but technically that’s not the point. I do agree it’s not the best example though.

• Second 10 mins, more questioning why eyes weren’t mentioned, questioning why Ryan Li said the game is about building - shows random fox game with 3-3 invasion on move 5…

• third 10mins and part of the second 10 mins, talking about the game scene from the video - still talking about eyes, didn’t mention komi. “So we can figure out how these moves got here, they just don’t make any sense” - I think the problem is that if the moves don’t make any sense, there’s multiple ways to arrive at the same position with different move orders. I think dwyrin more or less shows that the kosumi numbered 6 below, should probably have been played as a knights move at 5, and I think a commenter on that video points it out also - but the camera angle is a bit odd, there’s a shine on the board lines etc.

• 4th 10 mins, seems to give props for noticing the unequal number of moves and the passing, and things like that. Kind of suggests it doesn’t need to make sense because it’s just a movie, but to be honest I think the game doesn’t look too unlike an actual go game. In the above image, the second line invasion actually shows up in books on handicap games, and that kind of second line jump is a endgame like sequence - so to go with the image B2, W3, B3, W4, B4, W2, B (5 or 6) is a reasonable sequence of go moves that make it look like the players know how to play Go. They don’t have to be 9d professionals playing go - but it doesn’t look like two beginners that just learned the rules - it’s not completely random like some stuff you see in this thread for example Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

• he does also object to the word “string” throughout. Go players typically use group it’s true, but certainly some people like to use the word string, programmers, or maybe some maths oriented people that might want to distinguish between the colloquial usage of groups which could technically be disconnected stones - not orthogonally adjacent, so with kosumis, knights moves etc - which could still be called one group, and directly connected stones, which you might call strings or something else. A group could have several strings belonging to it. Is it necessary to use that term, probably not, but I don’t think it’s that objectionable.

• 39:46 lol, I didn’t even notice that in the original video, that the guy says 3 liberties left and is circling something that’s not a liberty. That’s some good paying attention to detail :slight_smile:

• 5th ten minutes, yeah the weird gomoku digression also makes me want to stop watching, I don’t really get it, so you can get dwyrins reaction to that also. (I mean I guess throwing in references to other abstracts like pente and gomoku is nice in one sense if you like those abstracts - again someone might look them up, but yeah in the context, it’s too big of a tangent.)

• ~51:06 ish you get kind of a wrap up about the tangent and the overall guess at the narrative of the video possibly being intentionally misleading (skipping eyes) because of the tangent in the middle, and some closing messages about the video.

It’s a nice response video overall I suppose, if you’re into these sorts of things. It’s probably still going to be more aimed at being entertaining to current go players though than someone who watches knives out and that video, and may have some confusion and questions. I’m not sure what dwyrin would need to do to get his video to pop up in most search results for “knives out go scene” or something similar. Actually it does pop up like 5th if I just search “knives out go” so that’s pretty cool.

5 Likes