Go videos

Personally, I’m not entirely convinced. But if this strong of a player came up with it and bet his game on it, must be legit.

We’ll never know what Jonas thought. Maybe his vast experience told him that something’s going on. Frejlak wouldn’t set up ladders in mirror go game for nothing. Chernykh said that he knows that Stanisław prepares strategies/plans.

I’m searching in order to find a ‘TED TALK’ video about go, in which the professional is giving his speech. Please help identify him. Thank you.(Google Translate).

TED talk on Go

I only know of this video. Is this by any chance the one you’re looking for?

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be this video (Beautiful account of it, by the way). But thank you anyway.(Google T.)

3 Likes
3 Likes

I haven’t watched, who volunteers as tribute?

2 Likes

Looks like an explosion happened at the bottom of the board. See the black and white projectiles flying out?

3 Likes

The movie, or the video?

The video is honestly not great. The person doing the explaining seems to know close to nothing about Go, so, from a game analysis perspective it comes off as very awkward or downright wrong.

At some point, he calls on Ryan Li for a more knowledgeable insight, but, regrettably, Ryan does not really get a lot of screen time (only a few 5 second takes sprinkled here and there that don’t really add up to much).

The movie, on the other hand, I wouldn’t know, haven’t seen it. Judging by what I saw on the video, the Go parts of the movie aren’t super great either, but that’s probably not the main appeal anyway. It otherwise seems to have good reviews.

1 Like

I watched the video last night. Yep, the explanation of the Go scene, what he claims he’ll do in the title of the video, was not great.

1 Like

huge Ueno Asami fan, her games are great ^^
UenoArmy

1 Like

I remember I wanted to watch it, but then they said lots of spoilers so I stopped.

I’ve watched the film since though.

Actually, I think it’s great just to have another video that might link people coming from watching Knives Out to Go and the pro scene in America say and NYIG school, as well as some quick rules explanation etc.

That said, I feel like the video could be good meme generation content. This is almost a meme :stuck_out_tongue:

and then “Let’s assume a game ended in this state…”

which of course could happen and you should probably know how to score it by agreement but… bug unresolved situation there :slight_smile:

I like the visualistions nonetheless

The commentary on the game itself is funny, like Black getting two moves in a row as they play next after this board state

and then White says “Why can’t I beat you in this game” :rofl:

I dunno, I think it probably is just a stylistic choice. There’s maybe one longer call that’s just chopped up and edited into the right places to reinforce ideas or narratives. I kind of think it’s fine.

There’s also that weird gomoku tangent where they have Ryan clarify that it is Go, and the video creator did this tangent before explaining the rule about capturing at a spot that would normally be an illegal move when it’s not the last liberty.

4 Likes

I didn’t understand the need to use a terribly flawed example when he’s trying to explain the basics of the game. Unless, as I mentioned, this person knows close to nothing about Go.

Yep, the stylistic choice to be wrong :person_shrugging:t3:

Honestly, it was this tangent that pushed me over the edge. I almost rage quit the video at that point.

Anyway, I did not particularly like the video, though I did not dislike it enough to give it a dislike. It was not great and not terrible at the same time.

It is a matter of opinion, but yeah, I can’t quite endorse its contents.

2 Likes

Since the stylistic choice was about the editing, and not the examples given, I’m not sure how one can call it “wrong”. Rather

Re:

It would not surprise me that many players first games, especially between two beginners actually look like that when they both want to end it. I got a friend a go set before, and they played with their partner and it ended with an unresolved situation on the board when they both wanted to pass. It wasn’t exactly this drastic though I don’t think, but not far off.

That’s not a good reason to have chosen it, much more likely that

but I’m not claiming that this is the first video I would recommend or show to people about Go. Just as I wouldn’t recommend Tron or A Beautiful Mind to people interested in Go. Still I can say “I like that Go is in there and they cover it somewhat”.

Edit: Rather, if the video has 510K views, and even 90% of its viewers never heard of Go previously and watched this video, then that’s already wildly better than probably most of the more popular Go videos out there. Though there’s a few outliers which explain the rules which are in the 100k - 1m views range.

1 Like

Bit of a long video but looks really interesting.

Making of gobans

9 Likes

:popcorn:

4 Likes

If anyone doesn’t want to watch 50 mins of someone reacting to a 30 minute video:

• For the first 10 minutes, dwyrin is just reacting for the sake of reacting. “Stones don’t have to be black and white”, “you could use rules other than area scoring”, “why didn’t we talk about eyes yet” - (well because eyes aren’t part of the rules - they emerge from the rules…), capturing individual stones isn’t the primary goal of the game - reacts by saying “you do you” and “I capture stones and win…” , from the person who has many videos calling Go the Surrounding Game and about making territory and so on… :slight_smile:

• 8:56 ish he talks about this position, “the game can’t end now”, but of course it can. Two people pass, you agree what’s alive and dead and you score it. We could play a game like this right now on OGS and agree to score it as in the video. I mean you probably shouldn’t want to agree to score it, but technically that’s not the point. I do agree it’s not the best example though.

• Second 10 mins, more questioning why eyes weren’t mentioned, questioning why Ryan Li said the game is about building - shows random fox game with 3-3 invasion on move 5…

• third 10mins and part of the second 10 mins, talking about the game scene from the video - still talking about eyes, didn’t mention komi. “So we can figure out how these moves got here, they just don’t make any sense” - I think the problem is that if the moves don’t make any sense, there’s multiple ways to arrive at the same position with different move orders. I think dwyrin more or less shows that the kosumi numbered 6 below, should probably have been played as a knights move at 5, and I think a commenter on that video points it out also - but the camera angle is a bit odd, there’s a shine on the board lines etc.

• 4th 10 mins, seems to give props for noticing the unequal number of moves and the passing, and things like that. Kind of suggests it doesn’t need to make sense because it’s just a movie, but to be honest I think the game doesn’t look too unlike an actual go game. In the above image, the second line invasion actually shows up in books on handicap games, and that kind of second line jump is a endgame like sequence - so to go with the image B2, W3, B3, W4, B4, W2, B (5 or 6) is a reasonable sequence of go moves that make it look like the players know how to play Go. They don’t have to be 9d professionals playing go - but it doesn’t look like two beginners that just learned the rules - it’s not completely random like some stuff you see in this thread for example Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

• he does also object to the word “string” throughout. Go players typically use group it’s true, but certainly some people like to use the word string, programmers, or maybe some maths oriented people that might want to distinguish between the colloquial usage of groups which could technically be disconnected stones - not orthogonally adjacent, so with kosumis, knights moves etc - which could still be called one group, and directly connected stones, which you might call strings or something else. A group could have several strings belonging to it. Is it necessary to use that term, probably not, but I don’t think it’s that objectionable.

• 39:46 lol, I didn’t even notice that in the original video, that the guy says 3 liberties left and is circling something that’s not a liberty. That’s some good paying attention to detail :slight_smile:

• 5th ten minutes, yeah the weird gomoku digression also makes me want to stop watching, I don’t really get it, so you can get dwyrins reaction to that also. (I mean I guess throwing in references to other abstracts like pente and gomoku is nice in one sense if you like those abstracts - again someone might look them up, but yeah in the context, it’s too big of a tangent.)

• ~51:06 ish you get kind of a wrap up about the tangent and the overall guess at the narrative of the video possibly being intentionally misleading (skipping eyes) because of the tangent in the middle, and some closing messages about the video.

It’s a nice response video overall I suppose, if you’re into these sorts of things. It’s probably still going to be more aimed at being entertaining to current go players though than someone who watches knives out and that video, and may have some confusion and questions. I’m not sure what dwyrin would need to do to get his video to pop up in most search results for “knives out go scene” or something similar. Actually it does pop up like 5th if I just search “knives out go” so that’s pretty cool.

5 Likes

Just came across

3 Likes

They have been cranking up the output of the Nihon Kiin Go Channel for Overseas the last two weeks or so - they have serisouly good material! Love to see it. ^^

1 Like

New vid by Eunkyo Do is out - I think this one might be particulary interesting to high-sdks and dans, as it deals with one of the most complicated josekis around. It also shows several simpler options with follow-ups, and how to use an attachment against the pincer stone to overconcentrate the opponent. :+1:t3:

Edit: 444. Nice ^^

3 Likes