Go World News

KK Kyodo News @KK_joryu
Nakamura Sumire 2-dan said, "It was a tough game all the way, and there were times when I couldn’t do my calculations, but in the end I managed to win.
It’s my first time to play in the A qualifying round, so I’ll try my best to play good Go. In the Jyu-dan tournament, she won five games in a row from the first game of the preliminary round C. He defeated three ‘9-dan professionals’, Ryuzo Sakaguchi 9-dan, Shungo Goto 9-dan and Naoyuki Nakane 9-dan, to advance to the next round.
(Translated by DeepL)

5 Likes

Nakamura Sumire 2-dan

she won five games in a row

He defeated three ‘9-dan professionals’

Unless I’m misreading the paragraph, I find it interesting

1. That the bot couldn’t infer femininity from Sumire, which is a feminine name

2. That having decided on she, it didn’t stick to its choice and instead continued with he.

The second one is something a human would never do: if we have decided that the person of unknown gender is female for the purpose of using a pronoun, we continue under that assumption.

Actually, also

1. That not knowing Sumire’s gender, the bot was still loathe to use the singular they.
4 Likes

Bot isn’t that clever, it’s supposed to be just a direct translation. My Japanese isn’t good enough to say whether the translation or the original message made the error. Regardless, lets look past the minor grammatical error of a computer program and celebrate her great achievement.

5 Likes

She is 13 right? I wish her a bright future!!

3 Likes

Quite so.

An awesome achievement!

Here’s a game of Goto Shungo, although it’s apparently Takemiya who is the star:

1 Like

Nah, she only just turned 12 in March :heart: I’ve really enjoyed following her growth and achievements since her professional promotion, such a talented young girl and comes out with some absolutely fierce photos from her games where she’s just staring directly into her opponent’s soul :rofl:

4 Likes

Oscar Vazquez is gonna play Miura Taro 1p tomorrow.

3 Likes

I remember reading some discussion when she first turned pro that it might be premature, and I was also worried that it would end up being a lot of pressure for someone so young, so I’m glad to see she’s doing well.

2 Likes

Haha, who would’ve known sofa experts from the internet might be wrong.

2 Likes

AFAIK, Japanese doesn’t distinguish genders in pronouns and often it leaves out pronouns altogether. In Japanese it’s normal to assume that the reader/listener infers such details from the context. But this ambiguity makes it difficult for a bot to translate Japanese into a language that is more specific in these matters, such as English.

4 Likes

Japanese doesn’t distinguish genders in pronouns

I’m not the greatest authority on this, but its first-person pronouns are more gendered than its third-.

Japanese pronoun use also depends on age and context, though, and seems in general to be complex.

3 Likes

I think the standard formal watashi (= I/me) is not gendered. But there are many other words for I/me, such as washi, atashi, boku, ore that imply gender and/or age and/or relative status.

But speakers would only use this pronoun when neccessary. If it’s clear that you’re talking about yourself, the pronoun can be left out.

For example, if someone would ask you “kohi o nomimasu ka?”=“drink coffee?” (literally), you could answer “nomimasu”=“drink” (literally). A natural translation into English would be: “Would you like (to drink) coffee?” and the answer: “Yes, please” or “Yes, I do”.

3 Likes

Oscar’s games from today

5 Likes

Look, from this year New Ryuseisen starts. Fischer Time 1m+5s/move. It’s sponsored by igoshogi, which means you won’t see any broadcasts anywhere except for their paid service.

1 Like

Nyu Eiko is still too strong for Sumire.

And this one is obvious.

2 Likes

Charlie discusses the utter nonsense that is NFTs in this video:

2 Likes

Dinershtein pointed to this triple ko game

https://go4go.net/go/games/sgfview/97415

3 Likes

I saw people talking about resent title game. It seems that Shibano made a mistake, look at that graph go.

Pros on twitter were discussing this stuff but I really can’t understand anything.

1 Like

I watched it for about eight hours on Trevoke’s stream, over the two nights.

He actually streamed for something crazy like thirteen hours in total.

My first comment was that (20) P5 seems to be a relatively new line that I’m not very familiar with.

We were all surprised and excited by the tiger fix (34) L3, permitting Black to surround the lower left.

As I recall, Iyama spent quite a long time on the shoulderhit (61) G16.

At some point, Shibano spent a very long while thinking about a move. I think it was on where to play (84), but I’m not entirely sure.

(91) D17 caught us by surprise, but I was even more shocked that the bot recommended that Black live in the corner ASAP, whereas the top-side situation looked much more urgent to me and, it turned out, Iyama.

Before (97), us chatters were fairly convinced that Black would cover at K15, but Iyama played the hiki instead.

I fell asleep, and Trevoke stopped streaming for that matter, after (107) when Shibano was considering where to invade.

1 Like

The position on (62), to me, already feels a little good as Black.

Of course, it’s important to remember that there’s a ko in the corner.

The bot calls it an even game or perhaps B+1, but this is just my own impression.