Go World News

Big thanks, shinuito!

1 Like

Well maybe the communication effort could come from both sides and just be some kind of ignorance as anything else. (I’m not criticizing @shinuito who is doing his best of course)

3 Likes

I bumped it up to level 4 for you :wink:

Also here is a video of the game being replayed with pretty backing music

5 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure on any schedules for the channels. I guess subbing might help a tad, but yeah you’d think they could’ve had a plan.

I’m going to relay the Ireland vs Brunei game while I have time, but it probably doesn’t qualify as go news but it is a reply here I suppose :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit also on now: The 16th KPMC 1R: Malaysia vs Mongolia (Korean) 제 16회 국무총리배 1라운드: 말레이시아 vs 몽골! - YouTube

I think some past streams are up as well.

4 Likes

Interesting position. According to the bot, Black is only sneaking ahead by just a few points.

I feel that I’d have more fun playing Black here, though.

2 Likes

Oh, Hyeyeon Cho is a 9p. That’s cool.

2 Likes

W has points but B has the future for herself

Looks like the Malaysian guy’s big corner group is dying.

– Nope! He found some very nice sabaki.

I think she’s just a catholic.

1 Like

I thought we were all catoholics here~

3 Likes

You don’t need to be catholic to not go working on Sunday afterall (I know she is since long ago).

1 Like

I was checking Namuwiki to proof I was right. https://namu.wiki/w/조혜연

Instead I found entertaining dramas about her retirement, stalker, and Asian Games. Too bad google translate doesn’t work well.

As an aside, I’d love to read more about drama in Asian Go community. The Chen Zude/Nie Weiping/Shen Guosun drama sounds fun too, only could find some random machine-translated articles.

Anyways, she’s Protestant according to the namu wiki link. Although I still think the kind that forbids you to work in Sundays is probably a cult. There’s quite a few of them Christian cults in Korea.

Howard Wong (Canada) had a winning game for a long time against Vsevolod Ovsiienko (Ukraine), but got careless with his last byo-yomi period and timed out.

Sad result, but it’s nice to see the young Vsevolod (b. 2008) get a win. It’s apparently his second time at the KPMC and he finished in the top sixteen in the previous edition.

3 Likes

We could of course make a separate thread to collect the YouTube videos/streams from the KPMC if one wanted. Inseong Hwang covered USA vs Turkey just there recently The 16th KPMC(Korea Prime Minister Cup) - YouTube

4 Likes

On the topic of Antti-Sumire.

Whoever wins this bracket is going to play Redmond. Rooting for Redmond-Sumire game.

9 Likes

If there’s a Redmond–Sumire game then you know we’re getting a review.

What tournament is that?

3 Likes

It’s like Tengen preliminaries or something.

Check out how Cho Chikun managed a quick win:

3 Likes

Pairings for the Shin Ryusei.

Some big names are playing, judging by the banner:

There’s an L19 thread but you can find that for yourself. L19 doesn’t move fast, after all.

I think the Shin Ryusei is a paywalled event, sadly. I’m not sure the kifu are even made public.

Sumire is in orange in the far top right, playing Iyama Yuta in the first round. Now that I think back, I remember this being discussed before, either here or on L19. Ah well.

2 Likes

Yes, igoshogi is super-paywalled, I think. Kifu don’t get out, footage is rarely seen. You can see even results aren’t published on Nihon Kiin website until later date (although they’re printed in paper). Basically if I see something organized by igoshogi I know it’s useless to follow it without paying.

From what I understand it’s not that bad, niconico says monthly fee 1000 yen. But I’m not gonna watch 2-hour commentaries in a language I don’t know, and if I don’t paying seems like a waste.

Before they had special events and you could buy tickets for one match but it doesn’t seem to be an option anymore.

They put on some old recordings with AI evaluation. (This is a demo of course)

Back when Cho Chikun was young, players smocked during the game. And they had those funny Japanese mustaches.

3 Likes

Oh, wait so they posted a whole Shinryuusei game on youtube. Perhaps as a teaser. That’s nice.

3 Likes