"has recently timed out of a game" -- uh .. does years ago count?

I’m not sure how to get rid of this notification on my profile. For reference: https://online-go.com/player/1372/

I am beginning to think I’ll just be stuck with it forever. Could I get some transparency into what it actually means and how I can fix it?

3 Likes

It is supposed to disappear after you complete a correspondence game that lasts longer than 24 hours and does not end as the result of timeout. However, sometimes it indeed does just get stuck and a mod has to clear it manually, in which case they should see this post and take care of it!

1 Like

So do I.

Why must anyone be branded with such a badge of shame in the first place?

3 Likes

So do I. Although I have grown fond of it lately.

1 Like

I also have the label of shame stuck on my profile. I’ve completed many correspondence games since I timed out of one. Help?

Vaughn

4 Likes

It’s coming up on two months that the original question, while having additional people needing an answer, has languished here without a good answer.

1 Like

It is a small bug with no real consequences and is not at all close to the top of our developers to do list. It’ll get addressed one day but until then its harm is minimal and other things must take priority.

1 Like

It’s a shame bug which could be switch off, and not that small as it seems to be if I see the frequency players come here to report.
Ok bad English sorry, just want to say if no easy programming, can’t this flag just be switch off once for all and leave people’s face in peace the time a better programming is done?
Harming users feeling is not smaller as other things.

4 Likes

@Groin I hear you that this is more than just a small bug if you are affected by it. If it is agreed that this is a bug and one that won’t be fixed in the near future, I think it makes sense to (temporarily) suppress the message on the front end.

Here is the line of code that you would want to suppress: https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/blob/c1ec62396ef62218c75e28cc719f4c518c1d0c00/src/views/User/User.tsx#L722.

You can probably delete it, but better would be to suppress it in a way that can be reversed when the bug has been fixed:

{(false /* suppress this message until backend fix is implemented */ && user.timeout_provisional) && <div ><h4 style={inlineBlock}><i className="fa fa-exclamation-triangle"></i> {_("Has recently timed out of a game")} <i className="fa fa-exclamation-triangle"></i></h4></div>}

I don’t care enough about this bug to create the PR myself, but I would be happy to walk you (or anyone else who wants to take a stab) through the process if interested.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that I am not part of the official OGS team, I just submit frontend code from time to time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree, my limited legal training is that it’s better to let a guilty person go free than punish an innocent one.

2 Likes

Well, this is questionable.
The shame badge was meant to alert people against bad behaviour. Timing out was considered annoying, so people doing timeout was considered annoying, so everybody should be able to know that before accepting games from those nasty people.
That’s the story, isn’t it?

So, everybody with that stuck badge are unfairly called nasty.
Some could not bother, but some could be offended. It’s quite a harm.

If a dev can’t address it now, mods should address single cases (I didn’t understand if it’s possible though).
Otherwise @benjito’s proposal seems the best we could do.
Someone who’s able, please do that.

6 Likes

Why is the notification “Has recently timed out of a game” considered to be a badge of shame?
There are two ways in which you can time out:

• not showing up at all
  • showing up, playing, but using just too much time and subsequently time out

The first one is annoying, but the second one seems legitimate to me.
Using the value loaded term “badge of shame” does the legitimate timed out injustice.
And even “not showing up at all” can have a legitimate reason. When the house is on fire, your cat is choking, etc. “not showing up” should not be considered a bad thing.

So please don’t use the term badge of shame for a time out. There are legitimate and illegitimate time outs.

It only applies (I think) to correspondence games so there are fewer reasons to time out in that case. Also vacation to use.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a correspondence tag as far as I know too.

In the first case, it wouldn’t be great not showing up to a correspondence game (reportable if someone accepted a challenge from the games list but didn’t play), but of course that could happen easily enough in the ladder or if a new round of a tournament started when a player happens to be inactive/away etc.

The second case, some people (I’ve seen it expressed on the forums before) don’t want to spend a long time (maybe a month to a few months) on a game only for it to end with a timeout. They’d rather put the effort into a game that they win/lose by counting resignation etc.

So in that second case, you might see a person has the recently timed out of a game tag of shame and decide not to accept challenges from them, or let them challenge you etc, so in theory it could actually have an impact on some peoples chance to find games for example.

2 Likes

but still reasons to time out.

Recently seen in an AST:

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-26 om 11.56.39

Will this frontend mod change what people will see on my profile too? I mean that’s the point. I don’t really care if it just change it for myself.

We are talking about the bug, see the OP.
The stamp not vanishing after years.

It’s not a discussion about if the stamp is justified or not

1 Like