I feel like I know very little about the professional world of go, and even less when it comes to major amateur events.
What are the resources/websites you all use to stay updated? Additional, is there a good resource for learning more about the major national and international competitions and players?
Is there a way you wish you could get better information about go?
People interested on fresh CJK news follow them on go servers (rarely in english) like Yke, pandanet…
Sure we miss some regular news in english with games, commentaries, pros lives, that sort of things. Something to fill the gap left by Goworld ending.
Sensei is more an archive as a news service. Nothing fresh there. Besides tournaments are mostly just results reports. No commentaries, new fashion in opening…
I know. The point I wanted to make was that if you google “international weiqi tournament” you find some links (more than I showed). In those links the OP will probably find some other links and by clicking the OP will build some sort of a network with relevant info.
And if OP would decide to share his info in an International Weiqi Tournaments & Professional Weiqi Players - topic that would be a very nice gesture.
사이버오로 for mainly the news of the korean scene or the korean player focus in international tournaments 围棋新闻_新浪竞技风暴_新浪网 for general news with a slight focus towards the chinese scene 囲碁 - 産経ニュース for general news and the japanese scene https://www.eurogofed.org/ for the european go news
But for all intents and purposes just following tournaments and tournament results through Go4Go or some other hosting is more than enough for me.
I strongly disagree with @jlt that Go to Everyone! is not user friendly. I find it very easy to use.
A combination of GTE for comprehensive and detailed results, L19 for themed presentation, and the AGA-EJ for roundups provides the most solid footing one can get through free, English language resources after the death of GoGameGuru.
I think I’d rank the speed of free, English-accessible news resources, from fastest to slowest, as follows:
live Michael Redmond commentaries of the actual events
Oriental (especially Japanese) language Twitter with a translation program
Go to Everyone! ~= Life in 19x19
AGA-EJ ~= Sensei’s Library ~= Wikipedia
BGJ, because the most recent four quarterly editions are paywalled (but if you’re a BGA member you even get them free)
A note about Wikipedia: a lot of information is not on the English Wikipedia, but is on the Zh., Ja. and Ko. ones. They’re probably faster as well. Again, one would need to use a translation program.