How not to get bored during a lockdown

Learn new things! Find projects! Mine have been, in no particular order:

1. Getting back into Go (obviously)
  2. Learning 3D modeling - I end up playing around with it every few years, but started digging into it more now that I have time. So far, made a donut as part of a tutorial series, played around with the modeling of a peach but still have a lot to work on with regards to its texture, and really quickly whipped up a goban and some stones, but the goban texture is also super crude right now so no judgments. I’ll post it again once I clean it up.
  3. Working on setting up a Google Assistant smart home API so I can control smart home devices I make myself with Google Assistant, which has been neat so far.
  4. Professional development learning because I’m wanting to make a slight career shift down the road.

11 Likes

Ugh, I hate that donut!

But since I hate ALL real donuts as well, it must mean you’ve done a great modelling job! :grin:

3 Likes

I enjoy playing with this balls

1 Like

I spent a pleasant hour or two reimagining The Princess Bride as it would be redone by the Muppets.

Cookie

Then it occurred to me to wonder if someone had already considered this irresistible idea. Of course they had. I hope it actually happens, preferably with The Man in Black and Vizzini having their ‘Battle of Wits’ with a Go board! :smiley:

9 Likes

I finished my thesis and graduated with a little time to spare (about 2 years actually) to avoid my school shutting down on me! Good luck to you and @Sanonius !

3 Likes

I want to get better a juggling! I’m just a beginner, I’m a 25k juggler! lol

1 Like

I already graduated in January :slight_smile:

2020 was supposed to be a kind of gap year before starting a PhD, where I could travel, work on some personal projects, meet some friends, but that didn’t really work out…

2 Likes

Hey @polar-bear, I’m in a large (10500+ members) Go Group on Facebook, and I’d love to share your artwork (3D model of the Go board and stones) with the group. People will want to know who made it, so how should I credit you? Should I just say "3D modeling by Polar-Bear on OGS < https://forums.online-go.com/u/polar-bear > " or is there a better way to give you proper credit for your work?

5 Likes

Thank you! I received a 5.5 on my thesis (“very good”) and now I only have to turn in one small little essay and I have my M.A.
Congratulations to you for finishing yours too.

2 Likes

Hey! Sorry for the slow reply, work’s been a lot lately. Yes, you’re more than welcome to share it and I’m perfectly happy with that credit line. Thanks for asking! Also, give me a few hours to finish some stuff up and I’ll find the one where I put a vector texture on the board instead of the low-res one I made - it looks much nicer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s one with the better texture for the board.

5 Likes

Your art can now be seen on FB here: Sighris Zargon

1 Like

Here’s a nice list of video games that you can play with your partner:

4 Likes

Here is a sensational pianist playing 45 Beatles songs in an improvisational jazz style. It is startling, and may not be to everyone’s taste, but it pushes all my buttons, as a Beatles fan, jazz aficionado, and piano enthusiast. In New Orleans, 20 years ago, I paid $6 an hour (minimum drink charge) to hear jazz this good at Maison Bourbon (no doubt it would cost a lot more today). So settle in with your favorite drink, put your feet up, and enjoy.

I think I like Part II even better than Part I, so I am putting it first.

4 Likes

How not to get bored during a lockdown?

Well, I entered a few

?

thousand

go puzzles on OGS Puzzles.

:grin:

3 Likes

It’s good time to train yourself to plaster your no more nice looking walls. Plaster is cheap.

2 Likes

Nice quarantine idea:
:wink:

3 Likes

D’ya like Fairbaitn Films?

Does anyone have more anti-boredom content?

I liked this one version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5zoztwfs40&ab_channel=NatashaBloomer

2 Likes

Watching and enjoying it right now. Recommended.

Edit: I watched the whole thing; it’s around two hours long. I found it engrossing in a way that was satisfying and not “cheap”, unlike many films that rely more on, say, special effects or photogenics.

It’s very much a character play and I thought the actors did a very fine job.

This is my first time watching any staging of the play, though, so of course I have no point of comparison. I liked the minimalism of it: only one set, only five characters, totally unlike the more convoluted plots of, say, Shakespeare. It also had no preachy political posturing, which is my main criticism of modern plays.