Images of newer times

Bit off topic, but this article has some playful ideas about the development of AI after Go:

1 Like

724007c1598d013821fb203d70304c52

19 Likes

Huh, Uganda is meant to be the strongest Go country on that continent by a decent margin from what Iā€™d heard. Wonder why the Gambia made a Go stampā€¦

I remember faintly that a couple of african countries have a very diverse set of motives on their stamps. Including scientists, prize recipients, inventors and so on. There was some story behind it. I used a search engine yesterday, but couldnā€™t find anything. Maybe someone knows more, or knows how to look that up.

1 Like

True. This was part of their ā€œMickey and Donald (and Goofy, donā€™t know how the cow lady is called again :no_mouth:) play Japanese gamesā€ line:

See:

And if you like the combination of board games and stamps, you gotta check out this:

http://stampsiamlookingfor.blogspot.nl

8 Likes

The cow ladyā€™s name is Clarabelle

4 Likes

Visual Journalism in Spanish:

11 Likes

Really nicely done, that, but AARGH how they hold the stones :flushed:

7 Likes

Cats are the origine :grinning:

21 Likes

Edible go stones!

4 Likes

And the stones are their hairballs and faeces.

5 Likes

:scream:

3 Likes

Classic!

But sad that somebody removed the artistā€™s signature ā€¦ it was created by TANGO.

7 Likes

tumblr_n3t7xiAEYP1raq0owo1_400

Reading The Human Condition by Junpei Gowikawa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Condition_(novel)) right now, no mentioning of Go 'till now, but this image stroke a chordā€¦

5 Likes

541615d954bab64bf19eaef96bab173f

23 Likes

Well, it does say ā€œJap war moves follow pattern of smart Go gameā€ on itā€¦

1 Like

I know, I think because of Goā€™s abstract nature, these kind of images can be made for most - if not all - of human war battles, past, present and future.
Put an abstract grid on top of it, divide it into black and white movesā€¦ and surround.

2 Likes

The bottom left corner is wide open :wink:

1 Like

9a87be964bd3925b242d1c73c615c034

20 Likes

That one Iā€™ve seen before ā€¦ canā€™t remember where ā€¦ itā€™s awesome!

Is it known which Baduk fan modified RenĆ© Magritteā€™s ā€œLa Clairvoyanceā€ (self-portrait, 1936; JPEG, 1.7 MB) for this? (Was it you?)

(And BTW if you do an image search on Google for ā€œmagritte clairvoyanceā€ youā€™ll find a few other funny modifications.)

4 Likes