Images of newer times

No. Wasn’t me. Found it on Pinterest ( too old to be on it, but it helps if you have a new generation around…)

If it would be me, at least I would make an actual keima where my brush is…

5 Likes

That’s a nice idea!

The fact that you mentioned it, thought of it, resonates with the sense I have that the modification is not quite right. It is no-where near as satisfying as the original, because the modification leaves you thinking “what is it really trying to say?”

The original was about see something that the model would become, in a way that captures the imagination of the viewer.

In the new one, is it really even clear that the picture says “the artist envisions that chess will become go?”.

Or is he thinking “the knight tells me the next move is a kiema?”

Because it isn’t an obvious conclusion (unlike an egg becomes a bird, or a meal), the picture doesn’t really “work”. (Even though it is an amusing addition to our collection here for sure).

GaJ

4 Likes

Would it help if the artist were drawing a computer while looking at a go board?

2 Likes

It would help if the brush actually had. . . a brush

1 Like

clairvoyance

2 Likes

La Clairvoyance…

7 Likes

From the game Pavel Lisy 2p vs Leela Zero (Youtube Link)

5 Likes

I think this shows that for handicap games, human + LZ is much better than LZ on its own. Just force-omit the obvious nonsense.

Seeing all those slightly different shades of colour together like that is quite beautiful, the reddish-pink and apricot in the centre of the board shifting organically into yellow and green. Much like how Go itself creates aesthetic patterns from a system that does not set out with that as a goal.

2 Likes

24 Likes

From The Stone

13 Likes

… it barely matters where you place your first stone…

2 Likes

Uhuh

5 Likes

So black gave away one turn at the start. Big deal :slight_smile: :man_shrugging:

Mh, but this could well be the move that loses the game if it otherwise would’ve been close, no?

Now I realise that when I “liked” your “it barely matters” comment it felt like “doesn’t matter which quadrant, doesn’t matter much whether 3-4, 4-3, 3-3, 4-4, etc.”. And after Vsotvep’s comment I realise there are lots of options I just ruled out automatically.

1 Like

But except for players who are exactly matched, we know that one stone hardly makes any difference. Even 1 stone on a star point is only one kyu of difference … it barely matters :slight_smile:

Mh… but if one stone doesn’t make a difference why are we happy when we gain one? Or when our opponent gets one stone less when we play them? Or is it just me? Mh…

(But I see that this has gotten way off-topic …)

1 Like

In my games, where I make dozens of mistakes, a single stone is not so important, even in the middle game. :slight_smile:

I think stones become more important the higher is the rank or the ability of the players. So it makes sense that they are more valuable for @trohde than for @GreenAsJade.
I heard a Cho Chikun quote that sounded like: every single stone must have a role (or a meaning?) in a game.

That’s definitely not the case of my games! :smiley:

3 Likes

10 Likes

That’s how you do right there <3