Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

They are chess players?

this you also pronounce like

?

If I’m saying 囲碁【いご】or 「ヒカルの碁」【ひかるのご】, then I will (try to) say /go/, but if I’m saying “Hikaru no Go”, I will probably end up saying /hi 'ka ɻu no goʊ/ unless I’m trying to be more precise.

I have a Hikaru no Go number of 2: I learned from someone who learned from someone who learned from HnG.

I did not learn because of HnG, and not even because of an affinity for Japanese culture. The guy taught me because he thought I’d like it, and I was into abstract boardgames so…

Anyway, I did eventually watch Hikaru no Go (as we all are contractually obligated to do), and did eventually study a bit of Japanese. These three events are kind of unrelated.

8 Likes

Spanish and Japanese pronounce it all the same. I do drift a bit towards (1) when I speak English.

1 Like

If we’re bringing up the Erdöös-number, we should not forget the Shusaku-number! Who of us know theirs and plays against me, so I can brag with it in my club?

6 Likes
2 Likes
  • Delivery
  • Take-away

0 voters

I never understood the point of take-away, if I’m supposed to fetch it, I could just drop by the supermarket and get snacks, or … cook.

I mean, isn’t the whole point to get food without having to put outside clothes (yes, I answer delivery with my in-house clothes, don’t @ me.).

4 Likes

Here it’s completely normal to go shopping with your pajamas

6 Likes

It’s nice to have food delivered home, but in Switzerland it’s quite expensive and not even better than usual - I’d rather cook the food myself or go the restaurant. But because I live in the city, there are many take-away restaurants around (pizza, asian, döner). The food is sometimes even cheaper because the tax is lower when not eating on the table and I can take it home and eat it there while it’s still warm without need to pay a delivery boy or I go to the park.

5 Likes

I prefer the take away. It is not far from where I live. Get some fresh air. Walk home sniffling all those tantalising odours and enjoying it already before I have actually tasted it. These small pleasures of life make me happy.
Also the waiting for the pizza or Chinese dishes is enjoyable. There is absolutely no hurrying, just a mindful enjoying of life in all its beautiful facets.

4 Likes

In west coast USA, the one I typically hear is “take out.” For example, “Do you want to cook or order take out?” I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone ask to “order” “delivery.” And “take away” sounds European.

6 Likes

We say “shall we order/take delivery” (the English word) in Greek, or “shall we order?” when someone brings it to the door and take-away (which is very rare AFAIK) when you have to go to the store and take your order home.

But you have to have preordered it, not when you show up and just buy something on your way home, even if it’s a restaurant.

4 Likes

I call it take-out for both delivery and take-away

Although sometimes I call delivery door-dash

4 Likes

Speaking English in China, we say “order delivery” or “order food”. I know it’s not environmentally friendly, but it’s so cheap and convenient, we get it every day, often from different restaurants for different people in the household, since we have different tastes.

2 Likes

Is “data” singular or plural?

• Singular
  • Plural

0 voters

1 Like

Isn’t the singular word for data, datam?

1 Like

I think strictly singular is datum.

In my mind, data is when I’m talking about the whole collection but data are when I’m talking about the things collected.

Although, I kinda have a similar problem with information, since my language works differently.

5 Likes

“Datum” is the singular form, but it’s largely archaic, and ultimately people use “data” both ways (sometimes treating it as plural and sometimes as singular). Even I have used it both ways, and it varies among my colleagues. I think I’ve even been inconsistent within a single paper before, with sentences like “The data shows …” and then later “The data are …”

Ultimately, it’s not such an important issue, even in formal publications, unless you have a very militant editor that insists upon a certain standard.

5 Likes

Data is singular and plural.

7 Likes

I think @Atorrante hit the nail on the head.

It’s kind of like the word “moose” which is both the singular and plural form.

3 Likes