Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

Currently

Are we supposed to vote assuming that everyone is following the same logic we are, or trying to guess what other people will think the 2/3 of the average will be, and guess 2/3 of that?

Thatā€™s for you to decide! Will everyone think logically and vote for the Nash equilibrium of 0?

2 Likes

I mean, I usually assume these things have solutions (because otherwise it would just be a waste of time to post them), and abstain if I donā€™t think I see the solution.

The ā€œsolutionā€ is 0, but not everybody will vote that, because a) People arenā€™t rational, and b) trolls!

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I figured, because for any number is most probable to be correct, you and everyone else will vote for 2/3s of it, which recurses and approaches 0, at which point everyone will be voting accurately.

This is not a proof that 0 is the answer, Iā€™m not sure how to go about doing it anyway, though I guess I could probably look up the answer pretty easily if I wanted, but the intuition which led me to believe that 0 was the answer.

This is a well known example in game theory

However, the flaws here are that:

1. The choices are restricted to integers, which does not demonstrate the same effect as the original continuous setting.
  2. People donā€™t necessarily care about winning this trivial game, so discussing some sort of equilibrium is ill-posed.
2 Likes

ā€¦o-okay people, I just wanted to start a few light-hearted arguments about sandwiches, not an ULTIMATE EXISTENTIAL GAME of MATH, HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY, and DOOM!!! ā€¦

3 Likes
  • Lionel Messi
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

0 voters

I rather go with erling haaland or Robert lewandoski because they score more goals

Absolutely not the convicted r*pist.
Iā€™ll have to go with the conman.

1 Like

I will close the 2/3 voting ā€œgameā€ in a day.

2 Likes

How many holes does a straw have?

0 voters

2 Likes

What is the average?

On @HHGā€™s 2/3 the average game, the average is 5.071, and 2/3 of that is 3.38, so I win :slight_smile:
Iā€™m eating ice cream right now to celebrate. Totally not because we just bought 40 pounds (18 kg) of ice cream.

2 Likes

But you didnā€™t guess 3.38. You guessed 3 instead. You were off by an entire 0.38!!!

2 Likes

7 Likes

Iā€™m with Gia on this one. Obviously itā€™s topologically equivalent to a doughnut and thus has one hole, but the question is not asking, in topology how many holes does a straw have, it is simply asking how many holes a straw has. And natural language is messy, but I think it doesnā€™t have anything which is really quite a prototypical hole, but it does have two openings, which would become the entrances to holes if the straw was put under some dirt with the openings sticking out, and thus it seems reasonable to consider them to be the holes.

5 Likes

Yes, 0 is a regrettable omission (i.e. like a rolled up sheet of whole paper).

3 Likes

I always answer those questions with this in mind:

ā€œWhat would my goddaughter say?ā€

5 Likes