Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

Well that doesn’t matter you still weren’t completely accurate.

Results:
Average was ~4.3; 2/3 average was ~3. Starline wins! (No surprise, there are the math person on forums).
Statistics: 14 people voted, total score was 61. Player-by-player analysis: Samraku and Ginger had too much faith in human rationality. Yebellz, Vsotvep, and Jhyn decided to take into account some random people voting above 0. Me, Haze, Leira, Mark, and Starline decided that there are more than a few people voting above 0. Lys decided that the average would (given a random voting distribution) be 10, and 2/3 of that would be 6? It’s 7. KAOSkonfused overestimated (in my opinion) the amount of people voting high numbers. _KoBa decided that everyone would troll, and vote 19, while kingkaio did troll, and vote 18.

2 Likes

WHAT!!! The average is ~4.3.

2 Likes

I get an average of 61/14 ≈ 4.36, of which 2/3 is about 2.90, so you were even closer than you thought.

I didn’t take into account that somebody would vote 18, and another would vote 14… I was expecting many people would not get the mathematically correct answer (0, if every voter is a perfect reasoner) and would just guess something that is either around 2/3 of the average of 0,1,…,19 (so something around 7) or guess 2/3 of that number (so something around 5).

But anything above 10 is basically a vote by someone who had not even started thinking about the question.

6 Likes

I read this experiment in a behavioral economics book, 1 to 100. It said that a Harvard student decided to pull a prank, and mailed in many submissions of 100, by using his roommates’ addresses. I was convinced that people would vote 19, and so adjusted my vote accordingly.

1 Like

I won’t tell you how long I spent wavering between 3 and 4. Are Go forum users more rational or trollish? My suspicions were false (in choosing trollish 4). So be it. Minor revelation: the insanity I see in the mod queues doesn’t represent most users.

7 Likes

Challenge accepted.

2 Likes

I’ve never been good with addition.

there are not the English person on forums

6 Likes

I thought it had been decided that most of the trolls were on the main site and not on here.

2 Likes

Okay, here’s another little game!
Pick the smallest number you can pick without anyone else picking it!

0 voters

I will close this poll in a week.

6 Likes

Regarding, @mark5000’s question about hole(s) in a straw

As @Samraku noted, topology is one thing, where mathematics does provide a precise answer, but natural language is quite different and much messier. The concepts of “hole” or even “inside” are widely understood, although they can be quite vague and inconsistent at times.

None of the below should be taken as topological questions (where answers could be provided given some precise mathematical definitions), but rather rhetorical questions to explore linguistic conventions.

Does a simple cup (with no handle) have a hole? If not, how does the liquid wind up getting inside if not through the hole? If there was a(nother) hole punched in the bottom of the cup, would we not just simply say that there is “a” hole in the cup, implying that there is just one, rather than saying that it is actually a second hole? Or is “second” implied since we commonly understand that there is already one hole in the basic shape of a cup? Does your perspective to these questions change if you imagine a bottle (the kind with a removable cap) or a bag instead of a cup? How many holes are in a T-shirt?

Coming back to topology, of course, one can talk about a straw being continuously deformable into the shape of a torus (or disk with a single hole in it), but it can also be deformed into a ball that appears to have two holes in it.

Imagine that instead of a straw made of plastic, you had a similarly shaped piece of rubber hose. If you held one end closed and pumped water into the other end, that hose might swell up until it roughly resembled a ball filled with water. If you suddenly detached the water source and let go of the other end as well, you’d have water shooting out of both ends. Would that not be described as water escaping from the inside via both holes?

A huge variety of animals (from simple worms to humans) have a gastrointestinal tract that has been compared topologically to a tube. Clearly, we have no trouble distinguishing between and counting the two very different holes located at each end.

7 Likes

Why don’t you just time it so it closes in a week?

1 Like
  • A zebra is black with white stripes
  • A zebra is white with black stripes

0 voters

1 Like

The first question in the first post is already this:

Are you asking the same question? Or do you mean to consider the question without any milk in the picture?

3 Likes

Just realized:
https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/zebra#:~:text=However%20

sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry

1 Like

Favorite forum category

• Go Resources
  • General Go Discussion
  • Lounge (ignore this if you don’t know what it is)
  • Meta
  • Support
  • Strategy and Tactics
  • Announcements
  • OGS development
  • Tournaments
  • Ladders
  • General Chat
  • Teaching
  • Internet Go
  • FAQ
  • Feedback
  • Go Classifieds
  • Joseki
  • Forum Games

0 voters

Least favorite forum Category

• Go Resources
  • General Go Discussion
  • Lounge (ignore this if you don’t know what it is)
  • Meta
  • Support
  • Strategy and Tactics
  • Announcements
  • OGS development
  • Tournaments
  • Ladders
  • General Chat
  • Teaching
  • Internet Go
  • FAQ
  • Feedback
  • Go Classifieds
  • Joseki
  • Forum Games

0 voters

Internal is my favorite category. :wink:

9 Likes

How many holes are in a T-shirt?

• other (please comment)

0 voters

Imagine a typical t-shirt, brand new, without any damage or decorations attached to it, and pretend that it has a printed-on label (to avoid the technicality of a potential loop created by a hanging tag).

Does opening a sealed can of food add (at least) one hole to that can?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Imagine you opened the can the typical way with a can opener by cutting out the top.

Then, after you emptied the food from the can, imagine that you also cut out the bottom.

Does cutting out the bottom as well put another hole in the can?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

So, this hypothetical can is now just a cylinder of metal open at both ends.

Is the shape of this hypothetical can fundamentally different (besides proportions, scale, and some negligible burrs left from cutting) than the shape of a straw?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Does this hypothetical can (with the top and bottom cut out) have the same number of holes as a straw?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Does this change your perspective on the “holes in a straw” question?

5 Likes

A straw has one whole through the whole straw, same size, same place. A can where you cut holes (plural) through the holes are different because your cutting different holes at different times in different places and different sizes.

1 Like

My reasoning was rather simple. I took a lesson from the other poll (where C was the most chosen option).

Here is the thing: people always choose C. It is a fact of life. I thought most people would know this and therefore vote “D) Option C”. Alas, I was wrong; the lesson: the question does not matter all that much, behavior would stay approximately the same.

For your question there’s a small difference. People do have to make a calculation. So, again, I think “Well, the average is 10, so people will tend to choose 2/3 of 10, so I’ll choose 2/3 * 2/3 * 10”. I disregarded the infinite descent (even though it is the only logical conclusion) because, again, the question does not matter.

2 Likes