Important Philosophical Questions + POLLS

1 Like

0 holes?

2 Likes

Ok Socrates, you got me there.

4 Likes

Are you familiar with the candy “Pixy Stix”? It’s basically just flavored sugar sold in a paper or plastic tube (that’s been sealed at both ends).

With the plastic tube variety, you typically cut off one end to dump out and eat the sugar. However, you could then also cut off the other end and be left with something shaped just like a straw. Since I cut two different holes at two different times in two different places, does this “Pixy Stix” straw have two holes?

None of this is meant to be a mathematical argument. Topology unambiguously gives a precise answer, which makes the mathematical argument trivial and uninteresting, since it all just boils down to the rigorous mathematical definition of a “hole”.

However, within the realm of natural language and how we commonly use the word and concept of “hole”, we are left to deal with vagueness, ambiguity, and even inconsistencies and contradictions.

EDIT: to reply to something said later

My instructions above clearly suggest eating the sugar before cutting off the second end.

3 Likes

you wasted a pixie stix :cry:
Hmm… If you cut a straw into really thing pieces so it’s like a string would it have 1 or 2 holes?

1 Like

Interestingly both as a two-dimensional manifold as well as a solid, the answer is topologically 3.

Here’s the topological view: as a solid, the sealed can has a hole (a 3D hole in 4D space, so to say), but when the lid opens but is still attached it loses this hole and becomes a ball. When the lid is detached completely we’re left with two balls.

3 Likes

Should we make a different topic for this?

Black stripes are usually an adaptation. Even black cats often have black stripes (that would tell you that those stripes are indeed stripes, and not base color).

In the case of zebras, there was a close relative (the Quagga) which had mostly horse-like coating with black stripes :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

If I was as small as to walk on my own legs, would I have legs?

• Yes
  • No
  • You need a girlfriend

0 voters

1 Like

So spesifically the shirt question.

It has no holes… Because, as I understand it, it’s made from two seperate prices of material that are sewn together, and the “holes” are made from simply a lack of sewing in those spesific areas. Meaning that, in essence, it’s “holes” aren’t actually holes at all.

2 Likes

Yes, it does have two holes then. But the straw doesn’t, because it never had sealed endings that had to be cut open. I feel the same about the T-shirt question: When I count the openings, there are four, but they are openings, not holes. The T-shirt will have holes later, when there’ll be holes in places that were originally closed.

Like you said, that is of course not a mathematical view.
I wonder how much my view is culturally shaped, or if it is a more of an individual thing.

2 Likes

If your small and walked on your legs, how do you not have legs?

3 Likes

Yes. The holes are different shapes from each other too. Originally it had no holes, then you added one and another. A straw always had a hole going through the middle. This didn’t change. It had 1 hole and stayed that way. The can and the pixy stix started with no holes and someone cut two holes into them.

3 Likes

It’s been a week

1 Like

1 off, foiled again!

2 Likes

I got 1 and nobody else picked me :triumph:. My intuition was that everyone would think it would be stupid to pick 1 so nobody would pick it except me.

5 Likes

My intuition was that there would be closer to 50 people voting in the poll.

4 Likes

I thought that, logically, the first person to vote would vote 1, the second person would vote 2, and so on… but that’s apparently not what happened.

3 Likes

I just bet on you all overlapping one another. I also expected more participants. Oh well.

Also, I wonder how the game would’ve changed if I announced I was selecting 1. Would everyone avoid 1, resulting in my win? Or would someone also choose 1, and so guarantee they lose?

6 Likes

Thats a good question. I think that if you announce that you are going to pick one, that would lead to at least one other person picking the same thing, just for that reason, but, generally i think it would end up being one of the least overlapped, simply because most people would be expeting at least one person to also pick one, to prevent the victory going to you.

1 Like