Is there a glossary of sorts for Go terms in Japanese/Chinese/Korean?

Misaeng (미생, n.): A great K-Drama about a former Go player who learns what it is like to work in Seoul’s corporate world.

:grin:

For real though, I think “unsettled” or “not yet alive” is a reasonable translation. From the KBA glossary:

Unsettled

No J, no C, K-미생(未生)

A state of stones that do not have a base or enough shape to make two eyes.

The Korean ‘미생’ literally means ‘not alive yet.’

1 Like

Since other people confirmed that the version looks good I took the liberty of updating the OP

Works for me (Chrome on Android)

1 Like

Hahaha I know, but I want to find out the Japanese and Chinese term and if it doesn’t exist, why. :wink:

About Chrome, I don’t know why it doesn’t work for me, can you try a single letter?

P. S. Obligatory mention

Ah, yeah doesn’t work with one letter. My guess is that you have to type the whole syllabic character.

Kind of makes sense if you assume the search feature is operating on the unicode characters. Still, unfortunate for hangeul users!

1 Like

And yeah it is frustrating that there is no CJ equivalent! I am almost certain unsettled groups are discussed. Although possible that there isn’t a Go-specific term.

1 Like

I always thought that “unsettled” was more specifically about the next move deciding life or death. Whereas, misengma seems more that the group will need to run (and is able to make the attempt)

Seems closer.

But I have no idea about Korean nor much about Go frankly!

Someone should ask Yeonwoo :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No I think you’re right. It’s definitely more of the “I don’t have a base or eyeshape” type of unsettled. (Which i think is still a valid use of the word unsettled)

On the opposite side when an action can be taken to make a group without a base has a Chinese term 奪根 or 搜根 (take the base, 根 means a base), so the condition before that could use a phrase like 根基不穩, it is not a Go specific term though. A more general term like 未定型 would be more common.

Interestingly we somethings just called a group that is not yet alive as a dragon 龍in general whether having a base or not. A lot of time we would just refer to an unsettled dragon as a dragon that needs to run.

3 Likes

Although I think this term is referred to a late game concept in a complicated semeai fight, where one or several interconnected dragons are unsettled, and there are only few specific move left to make them alive (or have to keep fighting to survive), under a more dire and urgent situation, than just simple unsettled.

3 Likes

I’ve heard the farmer’s hat (陣笠 jingasa, 丁四 dīngsì, 삿갓 sagat) called the tetris block or tetromino.

It’s been suggested that a jingasa explicitly has two empty triangles, whereas the other terms can perhaps refer to the shape in any context.

As a nakade, it at some point received the name pyramid four or T-shape.

1 Like

While digging in sensei library for the pyramid shape, I found this entry
https://senseis.xmp.net/?ThePowerOfTheB2Bomber

It makes me laugh for half an hour.

8 Likes

Reading that article is a rite of passage ^^

https://senseis.xmp.net/?InsideHane

The hanedashi is what I’d refer to as a hane-cut or, indeed, an inside hane.

We apparently missed this one in the table (if the Discourse search is to be believed), although I did mention it in my 2020 update to Names Of A Few Common Moves - #7 by bugcat.

2 Likes

http://simatani.web.fc2.com/igonote/kosumi.html

Japanese terms for different kinds of kosumi.

With thanks to Alex for his 2020 post in LLL.

1 Like

Why do you care one?

A Japanese term ( 地どり碁 ), literally ‘territory-taking go’. This term is used in old books such as Smith’s The Game of Go, and may not be generally current. It is used to denote a style of play without fighting in the middle game.

1 Like

碁 appears in the following Japanese compounds:

• go-kaisho 碁会所 (go parlor)
  • go-dokoro 碁所 (medieval go rank)
  • go-uchi 碁打ち (go player)
  • go-ishi 碁石 (go stones)
  • goban 碁盤 (go board)
  • gokeishi 碁罫紙 (game record paper)
  • gokei 碁形 (position)
  • gofuu 碁風 (go style; alternative to kifuu)
  • goke 碁笥 (bowl)
  • hayago 早碁 (lightning go)
  • manego マネ碁 (mirror go)
  • hebogo ヘボ碁 (poor go)
  • mego 目碁 (playing go for money)
  • okigo 置碁 (handicap go)
  • goshi 碁士 (go professional, more commonly written 棋士)
  • kifu 碁譜 (go game record)
  • 碁道 (way/path of go)
  • 碁力 (go strength)
  • gosei 碁聖 (go saint/sage)
  • 碁戦 (go tournament)
  • gokai 碁界 (go world)
  • 碁客 (go player)

In Japanese, 棋, pronounced ki, is used to refer to go in compounds including the following frequently used terms:

• kishi 棋士 (go professional)
  • kiri 棋理 (go theory)
  • kifu 棋譜 (go record)
  • kifuu 棋風 (go style)
  • kidou 棋道 (way/path of go)
  • kiryoku 棋力 (go strength)
  • kisei 棋聖 (go saint/sage)
  • kisen 棋戦 (go tournament)
  • ki-in 棋院 (go institute/association)

Less commonly used:

• kihaku 棋伯 (go earl, i.e. a high dan player)
  • kikai 棋界 (go world, but more commonly shogi world)
  • kika 棋家 (go player)
  • kikyaku 棋客 (go player)

The character is also read go in cases such as the old go magazine Igo Shinpou (囲棋新報).

In Chinese, the character is pronounced and used in the Chinese term for go, weiqi (圍棋 or 围棋), as well as the following words for go player:

• 棋手 qíshǒu
  • 棋師 qíshi
  • 棋工 qígōng
  • 棋家 qíjiā
  • 棋客 qíkè
  • 棋人 qírén
2 Likes

만족 (Man-jok) Satisfied, content. Opposite of 불만

충분 (Ch’ung-bun) Enough, sufficient

곤란 (Kon-ran) Difficulty, trouble

후속수단 (Hu-sok su-dan) Continuation (not neccessarily “correct”). Literally: proceeding method

수순착오 (Su-sun ch’ak-o) Wrong order (su-sun = move order, ch’ak-o = mistake)

수습 (Su-seup) Solution, settle

호조 (Ho-jo) Favourable, satisfactory, “everything is fine”

호각 (Ho-kak) Even split, equal (position)

두텁다 / 두터움 (Tu-t’eop-da / Tu-ta-um) Thick, thickness.

후속수단 (Hu-sok su-dan): 후속: following, succeeding 수단: a means, a method, a measure. 후속수단 literally means “a following measure (move)”. It most often means “a move strategically complementing the previous move(s)” and sometimes “a following measure to finish or make the best out of a situation created by the previous move(s).”

수습 (Su-seup): coping with, making the best out of, saving. It means “managing orderly a chaotic situation” or"taking care of a bad situation."

호조 (Ho-jo): a favorable turn, a favorable trend. It is often used to denote “a series of good moves setting a favorable momentum.”

호각 (Ho-kak): evenly matched.

두텁다 / 두터움: thick, of positional advantage. However, it sometimes describes “solid defensive moves to maintain superiority and conclude a winning game.”

노림 (No-rim): a noun form of 노린다 literally meaning “(look and) aim intensely.” However, it often denotes “hidden agenda behind a move” and “actual benefit of a move.” 노림수 is a move with hidden agenda.

옹색 (Ong-saek): worse off, embarrassingly unsatisfactory, (depending context, it could mean “of poverty”). It illustrates “reaping little return from your investment” or “a situation wherein your stones are alive without influence or material gain (hence, living embarrassingly in poverty :o).”

우세 (U-se): superior (either material advantage or positional superiority). 열세 or 비세: inferior

근거의요처: base point

shobute:

After the opening, when a player judges that straightforward continuations are insufficient to win, she may make a shobute, a play (te) that puts the whole game (shobu) in the balance. Shobute are typically invasions.

The first and, until now, presumably only occurrence of the term on the forum was Jhyn’s 2020 post about the China–Europe Yike event.

2 Likes