Kibitz Garden ☕ for the Second Diplomatic Go Game

Remember when Game of Thrones was the hottest :poop: around? The intro is still awesome and almost makes me want to rewatch it, but all the plot twists have become so depressingly redundant around season 7 and 8.

It’s also really cool what yebellz did here. It makes everybody so important and meaningful.

4 Likes

Hahaha, I love the intro! :laughing: :grin:

The books are so. much. better. I already stopped watching the series in season 4, because I just couldn’t bear it anymore. :expressionless:

3 Likes

I thought I’d get an honourable mention as a kibitzer, but maybe I just haven’t kibitzed hard enough yet!

I still think it’s very hard to read beyond 1 move ahead. You can plan to make as many logical moves ahead as you want for each player, but guess even one move order wrong from the three submissions from each player and everything could be thrown off for 2+ moves ahead.

like that time when all three moves collided and you unexpectedly pass… I imagine that would throw off any plans, and picking them with the same priority all three times :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess I wasn’t completely wrong in one sense that yebellz might try remove the orange stones sooner rather than later, but I was wrong in that it was anyone but Haze that helped! (le_4tc, and Piggy instead)

I imagine yebellz and Piggy will contest over points like E2 and F2. I don’t really know if Leira would fight over the H12 J12 points. I guess since the stones stay on the board when eliminated, unless Yebellz needs the space it could be good to not co-operate to remove any player to focus on catching up with piggy in the bottom left.

I feel like there could be some aji to reduce Haze eyespace with the two 1-2 points.

We’ll see what happens!

1 Like

Judging by the kibitz logs and that le_4TC threw in, I expect that Haze is the next target. Leira should be dealt with later, since this would also be benificial to yebellz. Sadly, yebellz may be able to capture Leira without help from Piggy if more liberties on le_4TC’s side disappear…

1 Like

So if no-one actually gets their main group captured would it be something like ~20 rounds before players get eliminated by the stone count? It was N/2-3 and we’re at about 10 stones needed

Kibitz logs for Round 26

yebellz
2 Likes

The players can vote for a certain outcome, and if all agree the game is finished with that outcome, so that we won’t have to wait out all those rounds. I can even be more lenient such that if, for example, everyone agrees that some player will end last, but no player wishes to move, the game is progressed to the point where that player is eliminated. This can be useful if the players cannot agree on who would win, and some have plans to move after a certain player has been eliminated.

1 Like

I am baffled about yebellz kibitz post. Why would they and PiggyStardust want to help capture le_4TC?

If this happens and four players turn against le_4TC to capture them, in my eyes that’s borderline bullying.

I don’t think it’s borderline bully but I also don’t think it makes any sense for piggy and yebellz as I don’t see what they gain out of it.

If they both for some reason wanted to keep Haze alive temporarily and le_4tc is threating to kill Haze then maybe. It might require careful enough counting though, imagining le_4tc’s area was split between Leira and Haze.

It could also just be some tactic by yebellz to convince Haze not to just resign/pass for the foreseeable future/not resist capture. I’m not sure if there’s a compelling argument for piggy to agree with yebellz to play m1 and k1 together, at least I’d have to do another count to see if it makes sense.

Here’s how I see the situation:

In terms of area occupied, we have the following for each of the players, approximately, at this moment:

PiggyStardust: ≈ 42
yebellz: ≈ 34
le_4TC: ≈ 28
Haze: ≈ 25
Leira: ≈ 23

If yebellz is removed, the free area will be shared between Piggy and Leira, with perhaps a slight advantage to Piggy. I guess the distribution will be somewhat like this:

PiggyStardust: ≈ 51
Leira: ≈ 38
le_4TC: ≈ 28
Haze: ≈ 25

Thus, it is advantageous to Leira to remove yebellz, as it improves their position, but disadvantageous to le_4TC and Haze. It can be considered advantageous to PiggyStardust as well, since the removal of yebellz will still guarantee a win, but not bring the uncertainty with it that the removal of any of the other players brings.

yebellz has two solid eyes if A11 or E13 is played at some point. Likely, they will have about 3 or 4 eyes, thus they’ll be virtually unkillable if one of the opponents does not want to help. They also have a very large amount of liberties, thus it is unlikely that Leira won’t be eliminated before yebellz is.

If Leira is removed, the free area will be shared between yebellz, le_4TC and Haze. It looks like le_4TC may have a slight advantage here, and Haze looks at a significant disadvantage.

yebellz: ≈ 42
le_4TC: ≈ 38
Haze: ≈ 30

This is clearly most advantageous to yebellz, as they may start to rival PiggyStardust. It does not improve le_4TC or Haze’s chances to win, so they may not care much. Clearly it’s not in Piggy’s interest if this happens.

Leira currently has no eyes, and also no way of making them. This means that yebellz can simply capture them whenever they wish, if they can convince either le_4TC or Haze to fill up the shared eyes.

If le_4TC is removed, the free area will be shared between Leira and Haze, with a distinct advantage to Leira.

Leira: ≈ 42
yebellz: ≈ 34
Haze: ≈ 34

This is beneficial to Leira, who may even start to rival PiggyStardust, and to Haze, who may rival yebellz. It is therefore in neither Piggy’s nor in yebellz’s interest to kill le_4TC.

le_4TC has three solid eyes, and thus without the help of either Piggy or yebellz, it seems unlikely that they’ll be captured.

If Haze is removed, the free area will be shared between Leira, le_4TC and yebellz. Here yebellz is at a distinct disadvantage, but le_4TC and Leira seem to be equal.

le_4TC: ≈ 39
yebellz: ≈ 37
Leira: ≈ 34

This is in le_4TC’s interest, as they improve their position and may rival yebellz. It is in Leira’s interest, who would might end behind Haze if nobody is removed. Piggy has not much to lose either way. It is definitely not in yebellz’ interest.

Haze has two to three eyes, depending on the capturing race. If Piggy decides to help in the capture, Haze is definitely dead, and even without that, Leira and le_4TC may be able to do it together as well.

5 Likes

I believe that maybe yebellz diplomatic strategy is to help their neighbors capture some stones in order to dissuade them from playing on yebellz liberties and continue to avoid conflict with their neighbors.

It seems to be working out well for yebellz, but from my point of view this strategy is very brutal for the attacked opponents, who may not see an attack coming from an opponent far away. I know I felt that way when yebellz helped Sanonius and PiggyStardust capture my stones.

I indeed don’t think it is in Piggy’s interest to remove le_4TC: it turns Leira into a threat for first place. Removing Haze is in their best interest, but may be bad for their relation with yebellz. Removing Leira seems preferable, as it does help tighten their alliance with yebellz, and by taking away Leira, Piggy may get more of the area shared between yebellz and Piggy, since yebellz will be busy staying ahead of le_4TC (which would secure Piggy’s first place).

It does make sense for yebellz to help Haze. Thus their messages are perfectly reasonable from this perspective. They may reason that Leira can be captured before le_4TC would be. If they’re actually planning on letting le_4TC be captured, this would be worse than letting Haze be captured, so I don’t see the point there either.

I imagine this is how the Middle East feels…

Unfortunately I neither know much about history, nor about recent politics … ^^

It was mainly a point about several wars there having a lot of involvement from Western countries that are not neighbours at all.

2 Likes

I second this. Maybe if Haze, Leira and le_4TC all work together, they could still topple the Star-Sky alliance?

I keep forgetting about trying to just place above someone else. I’m still imagining just aiming to be first.

I guess though after 26(?) rounds, probably a month of playing, that it’s hard to stay excited if you’re just battling to end up 4th rather than 5th place say. Like if those were your only options I can imagine not bothering :slight_smile:

1 Like

After this round, maybe one more at the most, I expect things to heat up considerably.

1 Like

Yeah I think both Haze and le4tc are in 4 atai with their main groups, so the other players in theory could capture everything they have if there’s one unlucky round with collisions and/or diplomacy.

This is still pretty accurate for the current situation, so we just have to see who wants to improve their relative position and/or chance or winning and what they’ll do to achieve it :slight_smile:

5 Likes