Kibitz Garden ☕ for the Second Diplomatic Go Game

Because of this kibitz log from yebellz, I believe they are trying to achieve this stalemate where Leira, le_4TC and Haze_with_a_Z reach a stalemate on the right side. This explains why yebellz was interested in helping Haze make three eyes, in my opinion. To me it seems likely that developments on the right will come to a halt.

5 Likes

Perhaps yebellz is waiting for le_4TC to be eliminated before capturing Leira and getting ahead of PiggyStardust?

4 Likes

That’s a really clever plan. Stalemate until no-one else can benefit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

PiggyStardust will have to betray yebellz before both of le_4TC and haze die.

2 Likes

Kibitz logs for Round 34

le_4TC
yebellz
3 Likes

Where are the fights, I was promised fights.

1 Like

Fight in secret words…

I didn’t even think of this to try force yebellz hand. I’m still not thinking in Diplomacy mode so :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dame almost finished

Kibitz logs for Round 35

Haze_with_a_Z

I think I will remind the players next round that they may suggest an order of who places at which place, and if everyone agrees, we could forward the game to a point where one of the players would be eliminated (and onwards until the game is over), so we won’t have to wait over two weeks for the stone counter to catch up to the players.

Given the ideas mentioned in here and the kibitz logs from the players…

Is Piggy playing inside their own territory at points like B1 this round and B7 earlier a mistake?

I guess I understand B7 back a few rounds when the two stones were in 4-Atari but I don’t know about B1 when there’s still two more dame at F3 and E7.

I know they have a lead but then with le_4tc idea to threaten to kill their own group or be helped to capture Leira, or the idea that Yebellz could wait out the game and then capture Leira I wasn’t sure how clear cut the lead would remain. (And actually maybe it’s not that much of a lead now. Without extra outside moves Piggy maxes out at 43 stones while keeping two eyes, while if yebellz can get maybe 37/38 and then some if Leira is captured.)

It’s less like an active fight and more like the end of of fight where someone’s in a stranglehold that they probably can’t get out of but they either have to wait for the bell to end the round or tap out.

Leira’s main group is now in 3-Atari so it could be captured by Haze yebellz and le_4tc, the three who would benefit and I presume they’ll go for it. It might be extremely hard for Piggy and Leira to collide every round for 10 rounds to stop Leira being captured and that would only eliminate haze at that point.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s all about the spinach cake soon.

1 Like

It’s going to happen differently, though. Leira appears to have completely accepted their loss, and is currently on a mission to fill up the gaps and be eliminated. Yebellz and le_4TC both would benefit from waiting until Haze is eliminated before capturing, but neither seems to have thought of that, and they’re both trying to close the shared eyes. Haze on the other hand, the only one of these four who doesn’t benefit from passive play, is passing.

Leira, yebellz and le_4TC should all agree to kill Leira only after Haze is eliminated: Leira would end up 4th instead of 5th, and yebellz and le_4TC have less trouble from Haze also trying to fill up the area.

In fact, I’m pretty sure that yebellz could force a win if Haze is eliminated before Leira is. The current count, assuming yebellz and le_4TC get G8 and J12 in:

Piggy 45
yebellz 40
le_4TC 30
Leira 25
Haze 25

Piggy can get 48 points at max, if they get F3 and E7 & E8. After Leira is captured, yebellz should play H7 or even H6. This way yebellz can make a guaranteed 7 or 8 points in the gap between Haze and yebellz that is now filled up by Leira. It won’t be a problem at all to make 2 or 3 points in the top part afterwards, meaning yebellz would end ahead of Piggy.

It’s not impossible that le_4TC would manage to make 13 points after the capture either, which would even give Piggy 3rd place.

5 Likes

So much learn about possible strategies and it’s only the first game :slight_smile:

What’s also exciting, is if yebellz and Piggy end up both having 48 points (or, 46 stones + 2 eyes), the rest filled up by Haze and le_4TC, and Haze does not fill up the M3 / N3 eye before being eliminated. If this happens, it becomes a very different game: here both yebellz and Piggy can get one extra point in this eye, but the other could immediately capture it, and steal this extra point. Moreover, trying to block this would be committing suicide. It becomes a bit of a psychological rock paper scissors.

Perhaps le_4TC or Haze even leave open several of such gaps

3 Likes

Kibitz log for round 42

yebellz

I’m not sure I follow Piggy or le_4TC’s strategies. Looks like yebellz is going to win now, but with Haze still in the game, I see little chance for le_4TC to be able to overtake Piggy.

Finally.

No, only first place counts as far as I am concerned. I’ll take the fulfillment of a minor objective as a net gain.

2 Likes