Kibitz Garden ☕ for the Second Diplomatic Go Game

What’s also sour, is that Martin is being killed by the strongest player on the board, it’s not like Piggy really needs more territory…

I hope this doesn’t really discourage them, though. Even deception is part of diplomacy, and outside looking in a few points of deception seem a bit fun, what can I say.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if the current rules really make the game fun in the end. Everyone is staying very locally, trying to just outlast the rest. Nobody really has incentive to attack Piggy… In normal Go, you’d invade a player with too much potential before it becomes territory, but the same thing does not seem like a good strategy here.

1 Like

I wonder if a bigger board or some preestablished alliances (not set in stone of course) would create some more fun elements.

13x13 filled up pretty quickly, so many players.

1 Like

I’d like to see an iteration of the game with (publicly known) objectives: red needs to eliminate green and blue, green needs to eliminate red and yellow, etc. The first player to achieve their goals wins the game.

3 Likes

There’s also game types with secret but well defined and randomly assigned objectives at the start.

Games like ticket to ride, you might have to build a train line from A to B and you’re competing over the railways with other players but other players don’t know your objectives, but they might become apparent later.

You could still have hidden objectives like red needs to kill blue or green needs to outlast orange etc. Then maybe people can infer or ask about each other’s objectives during the game. It might shape the early gameplay and diplomacy a bit more.

5 Likes

I hope Martin looks at the kibitz thread once they’re out/are invited.

I think they played quite well early on given the complicated situation at the start of the game.

I don’t think this is necessarily the best stance in a Diplo game

but then again, before signing myself up I also considered how much time it would take up submitting a move every day and also having to negotiate with 3-4+ players, coordinate moves etc. I’m imagining it can be quite taxing on the players including Martin.

I also feel a little bad because I was looking forward to a group (in this case Martin’s group) getting captured by teamwork in one move, just because things like that hadn’t really happened too much in the previous game or this game before now (although it’s hard to remember all the moves, I could be misremembering a bit).

I think there’s lots of games that quickly
stop being fun once you start to lose but aren’t immediately out, the classic example being Monopoly. You can be almost broke for a good few turns and just waiting on a bad dice roll to eventually clean you out. I guess this can be similar since there’s no real mechanic to give you entry back into the game once you’re in a bad position. Sure in theory you could negotiate with some players to try this or that, or stay alive a bit longer, or in another variant hope to play kingmaker, but that might be enjoyable for everyone that would be interested initially in taking part.

I don’t have a solution obviously, but hopefully Martin comes to kibitz garden to say hi and we can say congrats and they might consider giving another variant a go another time :slight_smile:

6 Likes

A revolution is on it’s way! Maybe it’s not too late to stop the corrupt NBTO! Open communication and the help for the oppressed! But can they win? Will le_4TC and Leira join the rebels?

Michael Kohlhaas
Oliver Cromwell
martin3141 ?!?!?

Will he lead the many aginst the few?

1 Like

Kibitz logs for Round 17

yebellz
4 Likes

Yes diplomatic games are 1: games. 2: about diplomacy.

It’s about how you play with trust (and it’s opposite betrayal) and you signed in from the very start.

So seems to me that Martin didn’t really think of it, and ruined his mood and fun at the thirst betrayal. Which shouldn’t be like that.
I mean you cannot erase a friendship because your friend betrayed you in a diplomatic game. Both should anticipate it, integrate it and pursue their goal of win and keep good relationship between each other on the other sides of life.

4 Likes

@Vsotvep I don’t want to complicate your situation, but will all deleted posts be restored? Because

I don’t envy your position, but keep up the good work!

1 Like

Oh, I missed that, sorry. I think there is a difference between that post, which seems to have been deleted on the spot, and had the text “ok, but no here”, and the deletion of a dozen posts that were actually part of a conversation.

I have undeleted the post, just for continuity.

Just as a test of if I’m making the right decision, do you people agree with me, that posts should not be deleted? It appears I have upset Martin even more by asking for the posts to stay, which makes me doubt my decision…

4 Likes

In correspondence/ thread games posts should stay, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I think in general posts shouldn’t be deleted in a diplomatic go main thread.
But(1) this rule wasn’t discussed/declared before. So I’m actually against restoring them, even if it’s a majority decision or it’s asked by the author.
But(2) you already did it, so stick with it to lessen the confusion and interference.

4 Likes

I think this should always take precedent; unless a post is removed for violating community guidelines, the author should be able to ask to restore it in any case.

You may be right. It just seems simpler for the author to post the same message again, if he/she really wants to.

Sometimes it’s not easy to remember what exactly was written, and also it helps with continuity.

1 Like

I hope all the players come out of this without hard feelings.

8 Likes

Kibitz log for Round 18

PiggyStardust
Haze_with_a_Z
6 Likes

Kibitz log for Round 19

yebellz
3 Likes