Note to Ukrainian site supporters

BTW: https://twitter.com/mhdksafa/status/1496954652012781569

6 Likes

Do some people are charged to use this platform?

No, the basic features are free for all. Some people choose to pay money to support the site, these people receive a few extra or upgraded features. But nobody is charged unless they offer it themselves.

8 Likes

All I am saying is that you are politisizing sport and virtue signaling in favour of one side (to gain more support $ maybe?) Why no supporters from the countries I mentioned? Cos they were bombed to the ashes. Or you think they are of a different sort?

1 Like

For what i know OGS is not yet included in the GAFAM, and anoek is not bill Gates. So you are somewhere aiming at the wrong target.

10 Likes

There are no go players in the other countries you mention.
Let anoek help whoever he wants. If you want to help other people you are free to do so.

13 Likes

A very nice gesture. Well done.

6 Likes

Not really, although I am on the side of Ukraine since Putin has produced no actual evidence or justified reason for the invasion, I would (and have) done this for anyone who found themselves in a sudden change of circumstance. The difference here is that I am doing it preemptively without asking them if they want their recurring charges canceled or if they want refunds, my assumption is that for some/many of them, they donā€™t have the time or capability (lack of internet access, device, etc) to deal with any sort of back and forth, so Iā€™m doing it for everyone - I also lack the means of communicating with many of them since email addresses are not required to use the site, hence this general forum post, itā€™s the only way I have to possibly communicate with them and let them know why things were canceled, and to let them know that Iā€™m canceling it out of support not spite.

Thatā€™s probably pretty accurate, if the leaders in the world stopped going to war, there would probably be more Go players and better economies so folks could spend some money on a relatively frivolous thing like supporting a Go site.

21 Likes

That is an untrue statement bordering prejudice. Various people can have various reasons, experiences and different ways of thinking. For example somebody is inclined to favour equal treatment above all in his viewpoints. It does not mean, such person does nothing himself for others. Can we please do less grouping of people into categories when it is unnecessary?

3 Likes

This speaks a thousand words about you, please reflect on yourself.

7 Likes

People who have reasons focus on their own actions, not othersā€™.

If you help X and I believe Y deserves help, Iā€™ll find a way to help Y, not pester you about not doing what I think you should.

If I want to give everything I have to stray puppies, itā€™s my resources, I owe you no reason, explanation, validation or ask for permission to do so.

You can go give your own resources to stray kittens, fine by me.

The most annoying ā€œvirtue signalingā€ is trying to ride on someone elseā€™s kindness.

9 Likes

I did and still think that this is a valid assumption. As said: ā€œthat your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openlyā€.

1 Like

Thatā€™s cool and all but it seems perfectly normal to make an announcement so that players are not confused when you make an unexpected change.

still think that this is a valid assumption

And this is concerningā€¦

7 Likes

This is awesome, so kind and generous :clap:

I think itā€™s best not to respond to the trolls past maybe pointing out Anoekā€™s initial comment and to let their comments just get buried by all the positive ones. Otherwise they keep getting dredged up

12 Likes

Somewhere in that text it also says ā€œĪœĪ® ĪŗĻĪÆĪ½ĪµĻ„Īµ, ĪÆĪ½Ī± Ī¼Ī· ĪŗĻĪ¹ĪøĪ®Ļ„Īµā€. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

No one ā€œdeservesā€ anything. Be grateful for this act of generosity.

5 Likes

But whereā€™s the fun if you canā€™t just pick and choose? :joy:

4 Likes

That is yet another overly generalizing and untrue statement. Basically, into that definition fit (among others), selfish people, who do not care about anything else than their own. For example elections and deciding for whom to vote requires to examine actions of those for whom you want to vote or already have voted.

I find this statement to twist situation here. I have seen no pestering in this topic (maybe except your unfair generalizations), I have seen curious questions. When I do not understand something in other situations, I ask too. Asking is natural for people and it can be nicely seen in young kids when they are discovering the world. When somebody stopps asking, he probably understands the topic or resigned to understand. Both asking and understanding is vital for person to understand and act with responsibility.

Of course, that decision is yours and you are not obliged to explain and present reasons. But despite that, it does not deny right of others to ask. You can just ignore the question. Anoek also could ignore the question and there was no legal obligation to answer it. Yet he decided to explain, despite he did not have to. I really appreciate his transparency and means to communicate. But you are just blaming people how could they dare to ask. Maybe you have more experience or informations on this topic and you understand it better than others. But exactly if that is the case, those others, who do not have understanding like you have, could ask in order to increase their understanding. (Of course, questions should always be polite, but I did not notice this to be problem in this topic.)

2 Likes

War and politics aside, this is a very responsible and professional action from a person managing website subscriptions and it needs extra kudos on its own. If I were a supporter, I would really appreciate the heads up. This hobbyist website beats a lot of ā€œprofessionalā€ websites (spotify, amazon, duolingo are a few of them).
The fact that the specific gesture helps people who had to put Go at the bottom of their priorities because bombs and death and mayhem, is a plus. I endorse it.

9 Likes

The high art of finding the worst in even a kind gesture. Congrats.

6 Likes