OGS now has a full time developer!

Hello once again!

Nine months ago we announced our desire to get OGS to the point of being able to support one of the two OGS developers at some minimum viable wage so they could work full time on OGS to better improve and maintain the site.

While it took longer than we would have liked to get to this point, after nine months of growing support from the community (A special thanks to all our wonderful site supporters who have stuck with us over these months and years before), as well as changes in my personal situation (a double special thanks to my loving wife who is doing a huge part in enabling me to do this), effective immediately I’ll be working full time on OGS. Between the money coming from the ongoing support of our awesome site supporters, the business savings we’ve stored up over the past 9 months, and my personal savings, I should be able to keep this up for at least two years - and if we can effectively double the number of users that love OGS and play here during that time, then we should reach the point of self sufficiency before those two years are up such that we’re not dipping into savings and therefore can keep this up indefinitely. And of course OGS’s other developer, @matburt, will be continuing to work diligently on nights and weekends like we’ve both been doing these past four years :slight_smile:

So once again thank you site supporters, I’ll do my best to repay your generosity by continuing to improve OGS in many different ways, and by doing what we can to spread Go around the world!

72 Likes

Congrats! You have my support!

5 Likes

:+1:

4 Likes

whoa, this is really awesome! OGS is already the most advanced go server out there, its going to be very interesting to see what you can make of it now that its actually your job.

7 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m glad that your project grown as you want, enven if it’s take time.
I wonder what do you need now from us ?

For example, i have some skill in ergonomy, process optimisation, business plan and stuff like that.
So maybe if i can help …

3 Likes

To continue being the best Go community around! :slight_smile: And being a site supporter of course helps quite a lot as it relates to meeting those pesky real world needs too :wink:

4 Likes

Great! Now first feature request! A specific page where we can see what’s currently being developed xD Maybe a link to a google document or something?

5 Likes

But then there would be no surprises!

4 Likes

I think it would be nice to see what’s coming instead of constantly posting features we would like to see. That way we know if our idea is being developed or not. A feature voting board would also be nice.

2 Likes

We actually have that already: https://ogs.uservoice.com - admittedly, it’s been hard to keep up with it in the past, however now that I have a lot more development bandwidth, that should get better!

7 Likes

Yay! Me happy! \o/

Congrats! And long live OGS!

4 Likes

That’s great news! It’s easy to forget that developers are people with families to support. I’ll be upping my donations! Thanks for all the hard work.

4 Likes

Great news! Thank you for all the great work you’ve done!

4 Likes

That’s great! I’m sure that’ll bring us all lots of good go! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Congrats! Btw. now that you are a full time developer would you consider other forms of support than just cash? Like … lines of code maybe ? :smile:

6 Likes

Just awesome, thank you for your work and thanks to this wonderful community which enables that ^^

3 Likes

Hey! enjoy the adventure… we’ll all be the beneficiaries! Thanks for your sacrifices too.

5 Likes

congrats and thank for the hard work

5 Likes