Pictures From Home

Don"t lose the train for a fundamental move!

3 Likes

Meanwhile in Florence, Italy…

20220601_135556

11 Likes

In Rome it is the other way around (0.75 cents)

10 Likes

Probably people who are nostalgic of the lira. Current prices don’t have enough zeros.

4 Likes

In my opinion it is more because it is considered as sacrilege (and I’m not kidding!).
See for example Mai bere cappuccino durante i pasti (rule 1) or this Italian Food Rules – No Cappuccino After 10am | Tuscan Traveler (in English).
But foreigners often ask for it, that’s why it is in English I suppose

6 Likes

That’s it.
Tourists asking for “spaghetti bolognaise” (not even an Italian name) AND cappuccino are the most hated and/or mocked.

If you come to Italy, then taste the real thing… or go to Mcdonald! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cappuccino is for breakfast.
You can have it in the middle of the morning, in the middle of the afternoon, you can even have it at the end of lunch instead of plain coffee.
Having it during your lunch or dinner looks absolutely insane to Italians.

That’s why that small restaurant says that it costs literally one thousand euro if you ask for it together with your meal.
They could say otherwise “just don’t”! :smile:
It’s a joke, of course. They can’t actually sell cappuccino at that price, but it gets the idea.

7 Likes

I don’t understand people who drink coffee, juice, milk (especially chocolate milk!) or strong alcohol with their meals.

For me it’s either water or some mild alcohol (wine, beer, OK ouzo and tsipouro aren’t mild but it’s tradition and I do it very rarely :woman_shrugging: ), and the alcohol is usually during pauses to chat or after the meal when picking an odd bite and chatting.

6 Likes

What is the correct term? I didn’t know that was wrong, to be honest.

I agree with you and Gino, wholeheartedly. If you go abroad, it is a rare chance to experience the authentic stuff:

Ok, I went church-hopping on the fields last week too, but this time there was an actual leturgy.
Some Greek parking (imagine that there is a small church behind all those trees :stuck_out_tongue: ):

And the very populated area around the church.

I love those “in the middle of nowhere” churches :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Trees? What trees? I only see cars.

2 Likes

Jesus walked on water, I was very temped to walk on the cars, but hey … there are some trees in the background and the church is there. I was fairly certain that I had it in an older photo, but instead I found a different, much more beautiful little church I had taken a photo of:

No parking there :rofl:

5 Likes

The right spelling is “bolognese”. And I think the traditional plate uses tagliatelle (like spaghetti, but larger and flat) or some other kinds of eggs based pasta and not spaghetti.

6 Likes

I’m wondering how the Italians react to the Japanese “Pasta Napolitan”. Here’s a recipe:

5 Likes

I once ate a Pizza Margherita in Mumbai. You wouldn’t believe the spice-mixture they put into that. Now, I absolutely love Indian food, but being in a (supposedly) Italian Pizzeria I had been looking forward to something different after a week or so eating Indian food exclusively. No such luck. Now I know to avoid Indian restaurants in Italy! :wink:

6 Likes

More about Italian food, I was at an Italian restaurant last Sunday, where they had “Cafe au Lait” instead of Latte on the menu. The pizza dough was clearly American-style, and they served a “cheese fondue” that was mostly roux. Their sausages reminded me of Bratwurst more than anything Italian.

I won’t talk about the pasta sauces, or how cooked the spaghetti was… Or the order of serving the food :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

“Il ragù alla bolognese” is a sauce made with tomatoes and chopped meat.
It’s very famous and widespread. But we usually say “pasta al ragù” (whatever kind of pasta).
I’ve never seen an Italian restaurant menu with “pasta alla bolognese”, while I always find some sort of “pasta al ragù”.

So, in my experience, “pasta alla bolognese” isn’t an Italian term.
I’m not sure whether foreign restaurants serving “pasta alla bolognese” are actually serving ragù.
I fear they only use tomato, without meat but I’m not sure since I carefully avoid eating Italian food when I’m abroad.

A sauce made with tomatoes and basil is also very common in Italy. But it isn’t ragù. It’s simply called “al pomodoro”.

OMG! It’s ALL wrong! :smile:
Absolutely nothing to do with Naples at all!

5 Likes

Sadly it’s also quite hard to find authentically spiced Indian food outside of India… :frowning:

4 Likes

It used to be my favourite dish, so I have a lot of experience eating “Pasta Bolognese” outside of Italy, as well as some significant experience of eating ragù inside Italy or close to the border.

Pasta Bolognese always contains meat, as far as I’ve experienced, but often it’s only minced meat, and the sauce is largely tomato, tends to be cooked quickly and without celery and carrot. Personally I make both the “fry some minced meat and pour passata over it” version when lazy, and the more elaborate version with the onions, celery and carrots, and the pancetta, some wine if there’s still a bottle open, and the several hours of stewing.

Without meat, it’s usually referred to as Pasta Napoletana, or at least in the Netherlands that’s the case.

3 Likes
1 Like

Oh, I see! it was a spelling issue in that case. Oops, missed that totally :melting_face:

Now that is a very nice idea. We have those too ( though we call them a different name ), but I’ve never tried that actually (I usually do this with rigatoni). I’ll definitely give it a try one of these days :slight_smile:

That was very interesting! Now I finally know what a ragù is (there was a very “cult” movie a lot of years pre-internet and the question “The mystery was solved, but the real problem remains without a solution. How do you cook a ragù anyway?” was used an “out of the blue punchline”) … how very odd how answers to old questions will come to light without even going to look for them sometimes :slight_smile:

Now I am wondering if the actor pronounced it properly :rofl:

keeping up with my current theme, another small church in the middle of nowhere:

6 Likes

I am Italian, I have been in Naples and this is the first time i see this :sweat_smile:

4 Likes