1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Diet tips

Office life (not technically home).

16 Likes

It was a nice summer night :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You live in paradise eh?

3 Likes

I’d say that most of the mediterranean area is like that. I guess some of the the african shores in Egypt and Libya are a bit drier and hotter with the desert on their back instead of mountains and hills with forests, but I’ve seen pictures from Spain, France and Italy that are mindblowing.

Even here you can get on a small boat and get on much better islands, like this (Skiathos) :

Or this (Skopelos):

Or this (Alonnisos):

Screenshot_15

Or this (Skyros):

Why people insist on going to rocky tourist traps like Santorini or Mykonos is beyond me … I guess marketing is everything, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Incidentally if any of you ever wants to have a unique vacation in Greece, I’ve heard that the best thing and most cost-effective to do is, surprisingly, to hire a sailboat!

You can probably locate an offer you like for 2000-3000 euros for seven days for a family of four and you get the best beaches that noone else can get to, plus you do not have to care for hotels and ferry boat fees and all that stuff. If you add all these, the sailboat might actually be cheaper and, let’s face it, it might be a bit cramped sleeping in a boat, but it is something unique as a family experience!

Don’t follow “the usual” and get packed like sardines in a tin can, explore your options and try to see what even the locals can’t access. :wink:

(honestly I look at the local maps sometimes and I am like “how on earth do you get there?” so many nice and remote places to visit)

9 Likes

Our village had its midsummernight fair today. Great atmosphere, perhaps even better than pre-covid.

The cook is offering a free waffle for a dance.

Live music in several places.

12 Likes

A tree broke in half and the top part fell on a Condo across the street from us. It had just been vacated, the week before, so no one is living there. The tree didn’t severely damage it, but the roof does have a dent in it.

5 Likes

That seems like a lovely place :slight_smile:
If you do not mind me asking, what are those pipes/machinery on the wall in the first photo?

The grey things on the right are gas meters (there are 4 townhouse-type condos in each building), and the items on the left are likely cables and junction boxes for Xfinity TV, Phone, and Internet services. The black cables on the left box make me think it is for the cable TV or Internet, and the one on the right could be an older service that is no longer attached to anything. I’d have to actually go over there and look, and that would require ambition, something that is in seriously short supply right now.

3 Likes

Many of us live in gorgeous places, it seems! How lucky those of us are!

4 Likes

How lucky, I wonder. I think a lot of people live somewhere close to beautiful by default nature. Is it enough?

Anyway, my leg healed enough to walk without getting annoyed at everything.

I wasted whole day walking. Descriptions below photographs.

Tsar’s palace.

Gorgeous places 1.

Gorgeous places 2.

Street books. Some people find valuable or interesting books in there sometimes. Best I ever got is Soviet-era textbook of Japanese language. Here it’s all new, boring. Out of interesting you have in the very top-left The Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins. On the right in plastic cover (presumably the most valuable book there) must be a biography of Salinger by Shields and Salerno. In the middle on the top we have Rome and Greece. There were other books too but this is what I took photo of.

Pretty lion.

PSA at the bus stop. Uncle Sam and his marionettes. @_KoBa do you guys consider mumintrolls to be Finnish or Swedish?

Lenin was here.

Lenin 2.

Lenin 3 and 4.

I got completely drenched from head to toe in those couple of minutes under the rain. Now I’m likely to get sick.

Metro. It probably should be closed. But since it’s open then there must be a reason why. So everyone minds their own business.

12 Likes

Finnish, the author Tove Jansson was born in Helsinki in swedish-speaking family.

5 Likes

They all look the same to me. And I guess sometimes they all look slightly different. There’re a lot of these white umbrella flowers.

Look, a little baby pigeon.

Simul at around 30 boards, mostly kids.

Apparently this is Morozevich not that I can check. No go this time though.

Oh, hecking pinned the knight, the kid is gonna get wrecked. Actually, still theory.

Big chess.

7 Likes

11 Likes

A moth. Or I don’t know something that looks like a moth, brown with wings, flies towards light. This moth laid its eggs on a window blind. Do I destroy them, are they gonna eat through cloth or something?

Also this month I found a metal ball on a street. The child in me is joyous, something about specifically finding a metal ball is magical, you can’t just buy it.

11 Likes

are you sure its not dangerous inside?

1 Like

Moths usually lay their eggs on the food source of their larvae (or in the close vicinity of it), so I’d wager you can expect a hole in your window blinds in a couple of days.

Moth infestations are no joke, we had pantry moths in the kitchen for a while, and they’d eat just about anything. The larvae could bite their way through carton and plastic packaging and are even small enough to crawl inside glass containers after the vacuum seal is broken (like, I found drowned larvae in my honey).

The easiest way to get rid of the eggs is to use heat. Either washing for an hour at high temperature, aim a pretty hot hairdryer at the eggs for a while, or use a clothing iron. Freezing is also an option, but I believe that only works against the larvae, and that eggs could survive freezing.

Also, be vigilant, if you’ve found one cluster, it’s likely that there are more around.

7 Likes

Could that be an aluminum foil challenge?
It was viral some time ago.
If so, it would be a very good one: it looks very well rounded in your picture.

1 Like

or lead

a highly poisonous metal, affecting almost every organ and system in the human body.[253]