Pictures From Home

Here is a couple of centuries old olive tree:

And here is another one that was cut and revived and its trunk is like steps O_o

Lovely trees, olive trees :smiley:

15 Likes

Couldn’t quite get the god damned thing into the focus. Still.

15 Likes

Looks like an alien!

2 Likes

An interesting nonhuman person s/he definitely seems to be!

Must be some sort of Crane Fly:

1 Like

A patch of Mojave desert by my house, apparently untouched by humans, that has probably looked like this since the last ice age.

I like how the exposed boulders weather to a dark patina over time.

18 Likes

Well, did you go and touch it?

7 Likes

It’s that time of the year again. Time for cats to brawl.

14 Likes

@trohde I know that you like pictures of clouds, so here is a cool on from today’s sunset :slight_smile:

Why people go to Santorini and pay all that money, when the sunset is free and gorgeous in most of the country, I’ve never figured it out :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

Thanks, @JethOrensin, that’s beautiful indeed!

2 Likes

10 Likes

Looking SSW on a walk with Jasper and my sister, four days ago.

… and zooming in:

… and zooming in … arrow points to my house, you can see the solar thermy panels on the annex (? house extension):

10 Likes

Same walk

16 Likes

The summer-like Christmas time continues … now it even tricked the roses in my garden to bloom ahahah

12 Likes

This X-mas I have tried to seduce the twin daughters (age 14) of my closest friends to at least be interested a little more to learn to play Go. I painted a pair of go bowls in attractive colours. I forgot to take a picture once they were finished. As usual I ended up having to rush to get my job done in time. The pink one is now white on the inside and the golden one black. To make sure they can tell the bowls are made of wood I left a couple of details untreated.

I also added a pair of coulourful go bowl bags (top right corner). If the girls do not like the game I’m sure the items will be used for something else :wink:

PS: For those who might want to ask, the plasic container holds wooden go-‘stones’. I learned to play just two years ago and besides the game itself I’ve gotten really fascinated by the different kinds of equipment.

16 Likes

I always wanted to see such an item.
I actually tried to make them myself.
Where did you find them?

1 Like

I recently found them online at a second hand store in France. The set is incomplete but with just over 160 each the total is sufficiant for a game on a 19x19 board (for me at least :wink:)

There are some websites (example) that have them on offer but for the last year they seem to be out of stock. If you search for them include or keep an eye out for a main manufacturer: Chavet. It’s a company that makes a lot of wooden games. I have only seen them on French websites so far, just once on eBay. But there are some French websites for used items you can check out regularly.

I started looking for them just over a year ago. Together with two of my staff I learned how to play the game of Go early 2020, during lockdown of my bar. As a reminder of that and the remarkable times we lived in back then we decided to give them each a decent game set for X-mas in 2021 (when we were closed again!). One of them is vegan and that’s why I started looking for something other than slate and shell, which we gave to the other one. I ended up bying Agate, which is also nice. Just to be clear, even though everything was second hand from Japan (board, bowls and stones), that was the most extravagant gift they ever recieved from us, as an exception to the rule which is a couple of extraordinary beers. Also much appeciated :beers: And probably easier to share with most of their friends :joy:

If I by any chance come across a set any time soon I will let you know. Happy hunting!

13 Likes

Thanks!

I remembered something!

10 Palets galets buis jeu de go (5 noirs/5 naturels) 2.3 cm

13 Likes

Edit:

8 Likes

They are very nice, but a full set is about 80€

These are beautiful but even more expensive.

Go is definitely a game for the wealthiest! :wink:

2 Likes