Pictures From Home

Don’t worry. It’s obvious English isn’t your first language, so of course we make allowances. It’s clear you were talking about playing go, but that came into it a bit further on, so there was a (possibly comical) ambiguity. The humour lies in the fact that of course you spoke innocently and technically correctly. A bit “oo…er, matron” as we might say, that’s all.

3 Likes

Today’s visitor:

13 Likes

A marmot?

Nope, Hamburg is not THAT mountainous. :smiley:

4 Likes

Interesting. I just saw that we call that a “beverrat” (beaver rat), which I have heard of before.

2 Likes

Yes, in German we also call it Biberratte.

3 Likes

Lovely monday morning/mid-day … winter is still missing :sweat_smile:

The church, as usual, has the best places:

A village further along … and I also found an old spooky house.
This used to be a lovely old-style wooden/rock house, but the old people living in there died, so it is like that now. :no_mouth: You can even see in the close up how close the forest fire reached that village two years ago.

12 Likes

Recently I came across an article about the Torreya Nucifera, the tree from which the most coveted Japanese go boards are made. I noticed that not to far from where I live there’s a town with a park where one has been planted, most likely in the second half of the 20th century. The tree grows very slow and if you stand next to it you truly realise how old a tree must have been if it can be used for a single piece goban, especially the ones cut from the centre outwards.

If you want to see if there’s a Torreya Nucifera near you, check this document.

Here are a couple of photographs I took of the Torreya Nucifera in Reeburg Park, Vught, The Netherlands:
The tree measures 15,6 metres tall and the girth is 2,56 metres, just about the right size for a proper 9x9 I guess :wink:

P.S.: If anyone knows books or magazines with items about the history and / or manufacturing of go equipment, please let me know. I search for them every now and then but I fear there are few, especially in non-Asian languages.

Kind regards!

12 Likes

Haven’t posted any bugs recently, here’s one.

12 Likes

How do you get those pictures so clear

4 Likes

… yeah, we want a picture of your camera :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s far even from good amateur macro photography. I use Olympus SZ-20 that I have. It’s quite literally more than 10 years old but it still works and I have it so. Talk about making things last.

Here’s the setup I use:

haha

20 Likes

Not only an excellent photographer, but an artist as well! :rofl:

10 Likes

… and a good and humorous explainer, which I appreciate :slight_smile:

3 Likes

15 Likes

We’ve got some snow

15 Likes

It is snowing uphill as well (photo from the local news):

and we are staying in by the wood stove. I like how the camera lense turned the glowing coals into something that looks like lava :slight_smile:

15 Likes

More snow is projected during the night … for the moment it is de-snowing time under a very picturesque sky with nice clouds for @trohde

10 Likes

Brrr, so cold. No clouds, snow is sparkling from cold and crunches under feet. Everything is getting covered by frost.

18 Likes

Eisblumen, yay! :blush:

5 Likes