Playing Cube Go (Vorlon Go) on OGS

Well it’s on:

I will be happy to oblige with my next cereal box if this game doesn’t do my head in! Of course if there’s another brave soul out there…

2 Likes

You mean you’re OK to start one now? Edit: he wasn’t.

Pictures from the game the in progress

3 Likes

Oh it’s correspondence, I thought you would be playing it blitz. :yum:

(still cool tho)

1 Like

Working up towards live and then we’ll try four people in Simul-Live-Cube-Go like this one: Help - Live Round Robin

Edit: NOT

3 Likes

I’ll join, but only if the turns are decided by the Thue-Morse sequence.

6 Likes

Why not Blind-Simul-Live-Thue-Morse-Cube-Go? :boom: :exploding_head: :boom:

6 Likes

Haha, I was also about to mention blindfold go as well. We could use a corner-relative coordinate system to relay moves.

3 Likes

Or maybe after each move the coordinates move one space to the left.

3 Likes

Unfortunately that’s impossible on a cube board. You can switch the faces though, but it would not really impact the game, since you could’ve simply turned your cube around.

2 Likes

Let’s play on the surface of a Rubik’s cube where on each turn you can either place a stone or twist the cube, or maybe we should allow the option to do both?

Commercially, I think at least 5x5x5 or 6x6x6 are available for sale, but I think people have 3d printed much larger (although it starts to become difficult to engineer and assemble).

4 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhhh… This sounds like a very cool concept

2 Likes

I’ll ask again in a couple of years :wink:

I think it’ll still be impossible; it’s more of a mathematically impossible than a technically impossible. Why don’t you try it, you’ll see for yourself what I mean :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually, maybe what @Gia suggests is possible, depending on how we define “left”. I think it could be defined analogously to shifting the longitude of coordinates on a globe by X degrees westward.

Pick two opposite faces of the cube and call them the top and bottom faces. You can consider the dead center of those faces as analogous to the north and south poles. Let’s also consider a cube made up of 4x4 faces, for ease of exposition, but it’s straightforward to generalize to other sizes.

For the top and bottom faces, one would rotate all of the points around the pole. That is, the four points in the center would rotate position, and the 12 points around the edge also rotate places. On the top face, this rotation would be one step in the clockwise direction, while on the bottom face, it would proceed counterclockwise.

For the rest of the four faces, they naturally form a ring, where each point would take one step “westward” (i.e. clockwise if viewed from the perspective of the top face) with points moving onto another face if already at the edge.

4 Likes

I’m thinking how to make this IRL.
The OP one, I mean.

We could use magnetic stones. I have a portable set and at the club we have a big magnetic board with stones.

So a metallic cube would be good.

But what about holding it while playing?
Maybe something like a skewer?
With rests to hold it horizontally?

Or vertically maybe?

Or maybe something even more complicated, like a spherical cage?:grinning:

4 Likes

We could also use magnets to levitate the cube.

Or maybe just hang it from a string.

3 Likes

What if the cube shrank one line after each move?

1 Like

What happens to the stones that might have been on it? Does the cube keep shrinking until it vanishes? What is the meaningful endgame and victory conditions?

2 Likes

About the stones: the stones could just disappear and count for nothing, which could be an incentive to actually capture prisoners and not leave threatened groups. Or, all stones are automatically prisoners, based either on the edge after the shrinking or initial board edge.

About the size: it could shrink to a predetermined size, for example from 19x19 to 13x13, or any preagreed size really.

I’m still not sure about how to define endgame, but
Victory could be determined in the final size, and adding prisoners as per above.
Or victory is counted on the initial size, but corners and edges are less accessible as the board shrinks.

I accept any criticism, bar “this ruleset would be too complicated for Go”.

1 Like